U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 09:27 PM

7,551 posts, read 16,396,020 times

Advertisements

Well there is this one dog that chases me on the bike all the time as I am going to work, and I mean all the time.

Today my wife and two boys (age 2 n 4) were walking by with Dakota and he came out real agressive, showing teeth, tail between legs, barking, growling at Dakota (Staffordshire Bull Terrier). She said Dakota did great, he didnt bark or growl but bulked up into the "ready for action" stance that they do but stood between the dog and my boys and that was it. He tracked beside them as my wife walked, he didnt try and pounce on the dog to defend himself, she said it was like he just guarded them till the other dog left! So much for "pits" wanting to do nada but fight.

The owner WATCHED for a good minute at what was going on THEN called the dog in. Needless to say ill be bringing my gun when walking that route in future.
[/rant]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 09:29 PM

4,541 posts, read 13,132,832 times
Someone suggested a getting a Cattle Prod to me once ...

I'd rather see ya do that!

Old 08-23-2008, 09:57 PM

4,334 posts, read 12,230,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Well there is this one dog that chases me on the bike all the time as I am going to work, and I mean all the time.

Today my wife and two boys (age 2 n 4) were walking by with Dakota and he came out real agressive, showing teeth, tail between legs, barking, growling at Dakota (Staffordshire Bull Terrier). She said Dakota did great, he didnt bark or growl but bulked up into the "ready for action" stance that they do but stood between the dog and my boys and that was it. He tracked beside them as my wife walked, he didnt try and pounce on the dog to defend himself, she said it was like he just guarded them till the other dog left! So much for "pits" wanting to do nada but fight.

The owner WATCHED for a good minute at what was going on THEN called the dog in. Needless to say ill be bringing my gun when walking that route in future.
[/rant]
OMG! You would shoot that dog? It is not the dogs fault....it is the owners fault! Just tell him to keep his dog safe in the home or yard!

Old 08-23-2008, 10:12 PM

They have no yard, and yes if my and my familys safety vs any animal I win.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:15 PM

1,479 posts, read 7,039,484 times
Brian, is there a leash law in your community? No dog should harass passers-by, even on it's own property. A sidewalk is a public way as is a street. It may be less aggravating for you to let your local ordinances resolve the issue for you rather than risk getting into a shoot-out on the streets of your city!

Old 08-23-2008, 10:22 PM

12,448 posts, read 31,537,716 times
Get a small can of Pepper spray they cost about $10. I got mine a Kmart. Get 1 for your wife too. HUGS to Dakoto he did a great job!!

Oh to stop him from chasing you on the bike take a couple of Water balloons & Hit him!

Old 08-23-2008, 10:22 PM

Yah there is, only problem is that you have to actually catch the dog doing sommet before the Animal Control can do anything about it. Animal Control knows but he is a one man army who the City have stretched beyond what they should be making him do. Ill talk to the owner, not like itll do good ;0

Old 08-23-2008, 10:24 PM

I have seen Pepper Spray in action and it wasnt pretty, blew back in the guys face and just aggreavated the dog more. I used to carry a retractable knight stick but gave it to a friend.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:31 PM

1,479 posts, read 7,039,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Yah there is, only problem is that you have to actually catch the dog doing sommet before the Animal Control can do anything about it. Animal Control knows but he is a one man army who the City have stretched beyond what they should be making him do. Ill talk to the owner, not like itll do good ;0
Yeah, I get it. Lots of communities appoint an ACO and then don't give them the support or money they need to do the job right. Would it help if you had a video or photos of the dog doing it's terror act? Bet your mayor and city trustees would find it hard to refute that evidence of threatening behavior. If talking to the owner doesn't work and the city won't help, do you have a local newspaper that would like to go on a crusade for public safety?

I do feel sorry for the dog, but situations like this that are allowed to continue until someone gets hurt are bad for dogs in general. Incidents like the one you describe create fear and the end result is BSL's and vicious dog restrictions that punish responsible dog owners and good dogs. It's far better IMO to pressure the owners to step up and do the right thing for the dog and the public before the situation gets out of hand.

Good luck!

Old 08-23-2008, 10:36 PM

12,448 posts, read 31,537,716 times
Hhhhmmmm ok then carry a spray bottle of 50 water & 50 vinegar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or