U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 10:00 PM

702 posts, read 2,242,607 times

Advertisements

We tried a harness and she backed out of it - not good. I use a premiere collar for walking, keep a leather buckle collar on in the house - it's loose. I don't use a prong collar but have thought about it because of her strength, but haven't. I used to have a big problem with them because I didn't know much about them but when used properly they are very helpful.

I think responsible dog owners buy and use equipment properly. Can accidents happen? Yes, but if you are monitoring your dog the risk should be minimal. Our dog sleeps naked though .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 07:51 AM

8,309 posts, read 34,298,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Should towns, counties or states put a restriction the sale of dog collars.

They are a form of cruel punishment to the animal by choking it by the neck.

Collars can cause harm to the dog trechia, and the dog could start gagging
(I do not know the person in this video)
YouTube - Dog Training Equipment - Choke Collars
Sunny,

I'm sorry but I have to go with the gallery here. I've trained a lot of retrievers and a harness just isn't workable. Chokers and pinch collars are excellent tools, don't pose any health risk to the dog when used properly and are very much a necessary part of dog training.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:45 AM

795 posts, read 3,912,978 times
sunny - i gotta tell you, i too am going to have to go with the board here.

and as far as choke collars and shockers...my older shih tzu has arthritis and a heart problem, but he still loves to exercise, so i bought him a pet stroller. it sounds ridiculous, but this way, he can walk as far as he is able and then i can just wheel him home when he poops out. at 20 pounds, he's just too big to carry.

one day a couple of years ago, we were zooming home with him in his stroller when we passed this big boxer mix walking with her female owner. i had seen this dog before training on choke and shock collars with her male owner and knew she had a tendency toward being a dominant dog. and it didn't help that she was growing into a BIG dog. she she stood beside me, her head reached just above my hips.

on this day, i knew immediately we had a problem when she stuck her big ol' head into the stroller to look at barnaby. her entire posture changed, it was one of the weirdest things i have ever seen, and i just knew she was about to go after him, with him sitting there defenseless in the stroller and me with no way to move him without further triggering her predator instinct.

i moved around where she was standing and smacked her on the butt to get her head out of the stroller and focused on me, but it didn't work. she looked at me for about one second and then stuck her head right back in the stroller again. so then i did what trainers say is the absolute worst thing i could have done. i moved around the other side of the stroller, got between the two of him, and picked him up.

that dog went absolutely nuts. she started barking and snarling, and i could feel her feet on my shoulders, and her teeth snapping at my pony tail. her owner was screaming, NO, luna, DOWN, luna, NOW, luna, and pulling that choker on her. and let me tell you something when she finally got that dog off me and down on the ground, i took off for home like a bat out of he!!. i have never been so glad for chokers and shock collars in my life!

we would have been in big trouble if that dog had not been properly accessorized.

just my 2 cents for the naysayers.

Last edited by barndog; 08-26-2008 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: corrected typo

Old 08-26-2008, 09:48 AM

4,334 posts, read 12,199,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post
ummmm collar is needed THANKS!
in fact we were watching our friends dog and had to send her to our backup because our dogs started fighting(which is not like my dog or hers) and she gave us NO collar(what??).
So we went out and bought her a id tag, collar and leash
I would rather a collar then a harness and my dog wont wear a wrist bracelet =)
Typical irresponsible dog owner....sorry....she brought her dog to you with no collar and tags?

Old 08-26-2008, 12:03 PM

321 posts, read 1,419,799 times
I agree that the whole idea of no collars "because they're cruel" is stupid. Dogs should be taught to walk on a leash with good manners, not pulling and dragging.

I don't keep a collar on my dogs all the time, because as Grannynancy mentioned, my dogs like to wrestle with each other and will grab by the collar. I have seen them get hung up but I was fortunately there to untangle them. However, I have known of others who have lost dogs because of this.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:13 PM

1,738 posts, read 7,497,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
Typical irresponsible dog owner....sorry....she brought her dog to you with no collar and tags?
yup she did! I couldn't believe it!
She dropped the dog off and all her stuff. The dog had no collar on and I assumed it was in her bag of stuff ....assumption WRONG!
We kept one of our dogs collars(w/ his name and number) on her while we walked her and when we took her to the new place we bought her a id tag w/ her name and owners number. I couldn't pass her on w/o a id tag of sorts.

I use to have a break-away collar for our dog and he BROKE AWAY!

my dog does pull sometimes but a collar w/ id is what will save his life so he will always have a collar on(we take it off at night).
In some counties they dont check microchips so a rabies id tag and id tag w/ our number on it is the next best option.

p.s. my doggie is SO HAPPY he is the only dog again! I swear he's been smiilng

Old 08-27-2008, 08:59 PM

1,343 posts, read 4,667,661 times
My fur-babies wear cotton (shoredogs.com) collars all the time with their county registration tags. When we walk, they're in their fabric harnesses with their immunization tags.

My small male will go after larger dogs. Napoleon syndrome, I guess...With the harness, I can keep him in check, just hope the big dogs' owners can do the same.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:39 AM

29,041 posts, read 44,915,360 times
Rudy doesn't often wear his collar in the house, and we use a harness on walks... he does wear a collar when we go out, mostly as an "accessory" and form of ID. We live in a big city with strict dog licensing laws, so that is a necessity in public places. I understand there are some dangers with collars, and I'm not a fan of pinch/choke/prong collars in general. But I think a ban is sort of overkill, and hope most dog owners use them responsibly.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:18 PM

315 posts, read 970,610 times
My dogs wear collars with I,D. everytime we go out or take them for hikes. In the house , no collars as I find it makes them scratch. But I have trained dogs with choke collars and prongs, the kinder one I find to be the prong and it is much easier on elderly people or frail people to control a dog with a prong. They have also been trained with plain flat collars. So far I've never had an incident of any kind with any of my dogs. I really don't understand the fear of collars.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:18 PM

3,627 posts, read 12,784,772 times
Zoran, I know people who swear the prong is a torture tool then put on the head collar and don't use it properly. I don't get it. Prongs "look" awful but I think they are safer than a head collar or choke chain if fitted properly and used properly.

Here is a good article on fitting the prong. What he calls a dominant dog collar as a "back up" in case the prong comes off is nothing more than a nylon choke.

How to fit a Prong Collar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs