U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 01:26 PM

7,282 posts, read 17,212,545 times

Advertisements

Both my dogs have collars with tags on them. Neither has choked. I think that implies to people that keep there dog chained up and the dog wants to get loose and chokes him/herself doing it.
As far as walking a dog on a leash, "The Dog Whisperer" can give you hints on how to do that.
That's how I learned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 02:16 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,160,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
If anyone decides to purchase a pinch collar [aka prong] I highly recommend a Herm Springer brand in stainless steel. Actually, I HAVE put a pinch collar on my leg PROPERLY and given myself a correction. If the collar is not properly fitted the prongs dig into the neck instead of catching and pinching the skin. The skin on a dogs neck, by the way, is typically looser and thicker than the rest of their body and their skin is not as securely attached to the underlying muscle as ours is.

The design [flat plate for connection] makes it easier to undo links and the prongs are rounded and smooth, not flat and "sharp".

I don't really have much use for the quick release version as it seems to be more work to me to put on than the standard version.

There are several sizes - actually the smaller the link, the harsher the correction.
I don't know what brand mine is, we've had it for 10+ years, but I just went and checked mine to make sure it was as you describe (round smooth prongs and large link) and it is.......*whew*!

Old 09-01-2008, 02:02 AM

4,628 posts, read 9,252,036 times
Has anyone viewed the Cesar Milan DVD which deals with aggressiveness in dogs? On it, he is training a Rottweiler who was highly agressive towards other dogs (actually, beyond agressive - trying to kill other dogs).

I'd always thought the prong collars 'looked mean', but after seeing Cesar use one correctly, my opinion has changed. The collars are not meant to hurt a dog, but to mimick another dog's bite and dominance. What other option would a trainer have in rehabbing an extremely powerful animal who is aggressive? In such a state of alertness, no dog will listen to "no,no!" or "stop that!"

If I ever get a Rottie or any other extremely powerful breed, who had "issues", I'd much rather learn how to use a prong collar properly, then entertain the possibility of putting a dog down, or risk them hurting a person or an animal.

A few years ago my pup was attacked by a very large breed of dog. Short vent: my pup was on a leash, the other dog was not. I, like, barndog, did everything wrong - I kicked, pummeled, pulled on the other dog, while its "guardian" stood there and yelled "no, no ---, no, no!" The dog didn't even notice me - or the other lady.

AND, in referencing something MikeinTN said awhile back, there was NO ONE there with enough strength to break up the fight.

My little pup ended up in the E-room, and of course, was completely traumatized. Had that lady bothered to use something like a prong collar, ala barndog's post, my dog may not have been injured.

My pup's always on a collar and leash, except when he's crated (rarely). He's never alone in the yard. Also, has a micro-chip.

Love and good vibes just ain't enough.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:45 PM

543 posts, read 2,145,527 times
I prefer a harness with my JRT. It's not that I think collars are cruel, it's just easier to keep her from jumping on me with a harness.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:57 AM

4,654 posts, read 15,737,854 times
Well, I stayed away from this thread until I had time to read each post.

Both of my dogs are 55-60 Border Collie mixes. Here's the rundown, neither wears a collar at home due to the possibility of a choking hazard and they are indoor dogs. With Cleo when we are walking she wears a prong collar as even at 12 years old this girl still pulls. I tried a plethora of ways before using the prong; the so called no pull harness rubbed her 'armpits' raw, when she was younger the Halti wasn't available, at least around here. With her being female aggressive, it's my responsibility as a dog owner to have her under my control. Mind you the prong collar is worn on walks and only twice in 10 years has ever had to be used for correction, which sadly wasn't even her fault but careless people who let their dogs run off lead in an area hightly populated with walkers, joggers, kids and other dog owners!! When we go to the vet I have her on a slip lead, she can't back out of it nor do I have to deal with flack from people that think I'm being mean having her in a prong collar nor explain myself to them.

Tony, this kite in a hurricane is different. Could never use a prong or slip chain on him as he was abused the first year of his life. Poor guy was stuck living on a chain with a collar that no one bothered to change EVER and I know without a doubt he wound up with mild damage to his trachea after that. So with him I use a Halti (similar to Gentle Leader, only it connects to the collar) and he goes from kite in a hurricane to mild manner gentleman

For those that use harnesses, lucky you , there are now step-in harnesses made by both Lupine and Guardian Gear. These are the easiest harnesses in the world IMO and safe. On the top (dog's back), there are two d-rings above the snap, that way if the snap comes undone you still have the dog connected to the leash when using both d-rings.

Last edited by cleosmom; 09-04-2008 at 09:10 AM..

Old 09-04-2008, 09:05 AM

3,434 posts, read 8,928,468 times
we used to raise beagles and bassetts and all the dogs had collars on them as required by law along with their hunting license attached to their collar and my name and address. sometimes collars are important in case your dogs are lost or in my case get after a deer and run halfway across the county after it.

Old 09-05-2008, 03:22 PM

8,217 posts, read 27,062,815 times
My Dachshund goes collar-less inside the house. I don't see the point of it and it makes him itchy.

I used to use a collar going for walks. Just picking it up made him very excited. Now that he's pushing 10 yrs old, I use a harness. He's not really fond of his strap, but it's better for his back. If I have to pull on it, it takes his whole body with it and he's very easy to move around. He doesn't have any problems but I don't want to start one.

For a bigger dog, a harness should allow the owner much easier control than a collar.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:40 PM

3,627 posts, read 12,783,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
For a bigger dog, a harness should allow the owner much easier control than a collar.
????????

Old 09-09-2008, 10:41 AM

3,398 posts, read 7,128,121 times
Default eh?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
A lunging dog in a Hauti can break their necks.
Harness can harm dogs shoulders.
I didnt know this...Ive used a Halti with Jasper since he was about 1 year old ( he's 5 now). Its always worked fine.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:45 AM

3,398 posts, read 7,128,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
My Dachshund goes collar-less inside the house. I don't see the point of it and it makes him itchy.

I used to use a collar going for walks. Just picking it up made him very excited. Now that he's pushing 10 yrs old, I use a harness. He's not really fond of his strap, but it's better for his back. If I have to pull on it, it takes his whole body with it and he's very easy to move around. He doesn't have any problems but I don't want to start one.

Actually, from what Ive seen on The Dog Whisperer, a harness on a bigger dog is placed on the strongest part of their body...with is kinda counter-productive when you're trying to get them NOT to pull..isnt it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs