U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 09:15 AM

5,244 posts, read 14,033,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
I'm such a goob, I made a tag for my dog that says "I'm microchipped, a vet or shelter can help me home." He wears his yellow HomeAgain tag as well, but I figured that the chances were good someone, especially a non-dog-lover, wouldn't know what that tag meant, and I wanted to do whatever I could to ensure that Bandit was returned to me if we somehow got separated.

(Ban also has a tag that says "I'm epileptic and require daily medication." He's a really well-behaved dog and truly beautiful, and I was afraid someone would be tempted to keep him if they found him. But he IS epileptic and DOES require daily medication, so my hope was that someone would read that tag and decide he'd be too expensive or too much of a hassle to keep.)
That's a brilliant idea!!! I love it! You can even get double sided tags so one side could give your vet info in case there's an emergency and the other could inform anyone that finds him / her that he's chipped. Great ideas! Reps to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 09:18 AM

5,244 posts, read 14,033,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa luvs mojitos View Post
Prong collars WHEN USED CORRECTLY actually do not choke the dog like choke chains. I think they should ban all choke collars and some regular collars, as some dog owners are total buttholes and drag their dog by the larynx or allow them to pull and choke themselves. These people should be fined heavily and their dog taken away. If you cant invest the time to train your dog, DONT OWN ONE.

And WHEN USED CORRECTLY, choke collars are also effective and not harmful. So banning them just take them out of the hands of people that know how to use them properly. Banning things that are effective when used properly isn't the answer; education is. And face it; there are some morons that will never learn to use it right. They're also the idiots that don't vaccinate and don't spay / neuter. You won't change the minds of the mindless.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:13 AM

9,355 posts, read 16,851,408 times
bailey and dave both wear their leather / nylon collars 24/7 ..... their tags on there... bailey has her rabies tag and her name / phone number tag..... dave has his rabies tag and chip tag and i think there is still a tag from the shelter...... bailey lost her chip tag and a rabies tag in the woods LONG ago.... was only $1 for the vet to replace her rabies tag......

i also put harnesses on them when we go to the park or out and about..... bailey's neck is so big relative to her head, that she can slip her collar easily...... and i just feel like i have a better control of them with the harnesses....... dave HATES having his harness on .... acts like i have just beaten him when it first goes on and then he shakes like he is wet periodically while it is on...... bailey is not particularly thrilled with hers, but is more accepting.....

Old 12-02-2009, 10:33 AM

1,817 posts, read 5,967,315 times
I have Tzu's.I do not keep a collar on them in the house of fenced yard because it will matte the fur. When we have occusion to go out I have a small cloth "choker" that I use. My dogs are kept at a medium length and I had enough hassle with fastening collars and such while trying to not get the fur caught. The one who loves to go "bye bye" will come and just put his head into the collar and is ready to go.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:39 AM

3,627 posts, read 12,828,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
They're also the idiots that don't vaccinate and don't spay / neuter. You won't change the minds of the mindless.
Sigh............can't you just keep it to collars?

I do vaccinate but am way backed off based on AAHA suggested guidelines AND my male dog is intact AND will remain so because I feel the preponderance of medical evidence is in favor of keeping him that way, much of which has been discussed on this forum already.

Please don't categorize people who question and challenge current protocols as "mindless" and "idiots". Not asking you to agree but really getting tired of folks deciding people who do not think they way they do must be idiots, mindless, and dog abusers.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:05 PM

7,422 posts, read 13,721,902 times
i'm sure she's thinking of the people who don't spay and neuter and then have "oops" after "oops". or who breed their dogs because it's so cute, or because they think they can sell the puppies. people who contribute to the massive pet overpopulation problem we have in this country. not people who make an informed decision not to spay or neuter and are responsible owners who ensure their pets don't breed.

but you have to realize, that among people who don't spay or neuter, people like you who are doing it for a good reason are a tiny minority. most people don't do it because they're irresponsible pet owners, because it's too expensive, because they can't bear to see a pair of balls cut off, etc. the health risks attached to spaying and neutering are not well known - i never heard about them before reading about them on this forum. i think it's a pretty reasonable assumption to make that the vast majority of people who don't spay or neuter ARE idiots, and are not the type of people who should be trusted with an unaltered animal.

Last edited by groar; 12-02-2009 at 01:23 PM..

Old 12-02-2009, 01:16 PM

11,062 posts, read 6,205,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
I'm such a goob, I made a tag for my dog that says "I'm microchipped, a vet or shelter can help me home." He wears his yellow HomeAgain tag as well, but I figured that the chances were good someone, especially a non-dog-lover, wouldn't know what that tag meant, and I wanted to do whatever I could to ensure that Bandit was returned to me if we somehow got separated.

(Ban also has a tag that says "I'm epileptic and require daily medication." He's a really well-behaved dog and truly beautiful, and I was afraid someone would be tempted to keep him if they found him. But he IS epileptic and DOES require daily medication, so my hope was that someone would read that tag and decide he'd be too expensive or too much of a hassle to keep.)
================
I think it's a nice idea too, for the person who sees the dog wandering around in their neighborhood.
If your dog was found and brought to a vet, I believe they routinely perform id scans if there's no visible tag saying otherwise, but, ..... ya never know.
Although I've heard that there are different scanners just like there are different payment machines at stores - which even varies throughout the same chain! So, it's entirely possible that a scanner on the west coast may not always pick up the ID Chip on a pooch that had it done, say, on the east coast. Additional Information.

If anyone loses or finds a dog, check these out:
www.petlocator.com

Lost Pet Amber Alert: 70% Find Rate
National, saves time and effort Bring your best friend back home.
www.AmberPetAlert.com

or

www.lostmydoggie.com

Also, some pet insurance companies, such as VPI have a locator id number on a tag that will also assist in getting the two of you [and family members] back together again.

I use the harness on my two since one of them was awarded the #1 back-out of my collar champion as a pup. That was one gray hair too many for me. They don't think any different of their harness and it's not so bad as long as you keep checking for wear and tear. Make sure it's not too tight around the neck and belly areas, you're good to go.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:40 PM

511 posts, read 1,985,221 times
Lol, ban all collars... sounds like a goofy idea to me.

Granted, some people out there will harm a dog using any type of collar, either out of ignorance or cruelty. The people should be to blame, not the collar. I'm a big fan of the Dog Whisperer, and I think he's pretty much proven that just about any collar, including the shock collar and the prong collar, can be great tools when in the right hands.

We tried several types of collars on Riley. We tried a regular nylon collar, a nylon slip collar, a harness and a choke chain before settling on the prong collar for walks. With all other collars she would pull and pull... it was straining on both of us because she's a large powerful dog. So now, she always has her prong on for walking, though she rarely needs correction with it anymore. When she dose need a correction, the lightest little tug is all that is needed. When she goes out back to play in the yard she wears a regular bright orange nylon collar with rabies tag, Id tag, and a tag with the vet's emergency #. In the house she enjoys relaxing without any collar

I have to say the worst option we tried was the harness. It made her want to pull more than ever and it was nearly impossible to give her any type of correction to go along with vocal command.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:01 AM

106 posts, read 376,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
And WHEN USED CORRECTLY, choke collars are also effective and not harmful. So banning them just take them out of the hands of people that know how to use them properly. Banning things that are effective when used properly isn't the answer; education is. And face it; there are some morons that will never learn to use it right. They're also the idiots that don't vaccinate and don't spay / neuter. You won't change the minds of the mindless.
Your comment made me think of when I was still training. Quite often, people adopted larger dogs that already had some horrible habits and we ended up having to 'graduate' to a choke collar, when all other methods didn't seem to be working. I always had them practice on the coffee table first, not the dog. I would also put the collar on thier arm, to show them the difference between doing it right and doing it wrong. When they properly used the collar on the table, then we used it on the dog, and never before! The looks I would get when I'd say we would first start to learn to walk on a leash by catching a table leg, were great though--and it worked so well for everyone. Most of the time too we could 'graduate' back down to a regular collar, which was always so fantastic.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:55 AM

30,099 posts, read 16,633,526 times
I had Ringo to a trainer who had me use a prong collar with him for about 2 weeks. He is a lovely walker. I got a lot of flack from the lady at Petco where I purchased it and she told me it was inhumane. The trainer showed me how to use the prong collar - and make it so it does not pull tight. Ringo had to strain really hard to feel any 'pinch'. I rarely use it anymore. People do think you are really mean if you have one on your dog. Personally, I think its probably better than a choke collar but Ringo seems to prefer a cloth choke collar.

I do have a question though. I have a tiny yorkie puppy and have been told not to walk her with a regular collar - much less a choke collar due to trachea issues. How do you train a dog to 'heel' while wearing a harness? She is a horrible walker! I know she's just a puppy and will give her time but I don't even know where to start leash training using a harness. (Though it is a cute pretty pink harness and leash. I've always had male children and male dugs so I'm indulging my desire to have something PINK)! My son let me know he will NEVER walk her until I buy a different color leash. Ha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs