Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 08:47 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,531,338 times

Advertisements

I did not read all the replies but I have worked at several hospitals that allowed doggie visits...Talk it over with your doc for sure! Just a thought for you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 08:52 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,756,372 times
Good luck Teatime. I always love reading your posts. Wish I lived close enough to help. Keep positive thoughts.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:13 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,155,634 times
I also wish I was close enough to help. Bless you and what you do for the doggies. I'm in Florida, but if I can do anything.....

Old 08-28-2008, 05:08 PM

342 posts, read 1,827,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Our emergency center has an employee who house sits for $50 per day. I know it is a lot, but your dogs and home is secure. My pet sitter uses this woman when she is out of town. Call your vet or emergency center and see if they have someone like this.

I also think an arrangement like the above is ideal. Having a house-sitter will keep your dogs together, allow them to more-or-less follow the usual routine, and they will be in a familiar environement, making it far less stressful for them. The service will cost more, but often they'll bring in the mail, water plants, and take care of other odd chores as well.

Your vet is a good place to start to see if there are any staff members willing to make some extra $$. They can also provide recommendations for people who provide these services. Do you know of any mature & responsible high-school or university students in your area? I used to frequently house/pet-sit as a student for some of the faculty during their vacations, and my parents rely on one particular high-school aged girl in the neighborhood during their trips away. I wouldn't recommend letting just any kid into your home to take care of your precious pets, but as long as you know them and trust them, students and young adults could always use some extra spending $$. If there is a local vetrinary school, you might ask for help there as well.

Whatever means you choose, make sure to have the perspective sitter visit a few times to see their interaction with your dogs.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:25 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,014,934 times
teatime,

You must feel good knowing how many people love you here on City Data and wish they could help!

Add me to the list of those who would love to help out if I was closer!

Old 08-29-2008, 01:56 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,292,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Teddie, I live in Abilene, about 3 hours west of Dallas. Thank you so much for your offer to help out! I know my babies would love you! Wish you lived closer!

The vet tech idea is a really good one! I will start calling around!

My silky terrier and collie mix are easy-going and don't fuss. Sure, they'll miss their mum but they don't have anxiety and behavior issues when I'm not around.

But Morgan, my Weim., is a totally different story! When I adopted her from the pound last fall, she was a wreck and they actually had her in a big pen that had a run outside so she wasn't cramped. When I came to take her home, she was so traumatized that she wouldn't walk past the kennels and cages of other dogs. An animal control officer had to carry her out to my car!

I've made a HUGE amount of progress with her anxiety and emotional issues. Staying at a kennel, no matter how nice it was, would cause a setback. So, I really need to make special arrangements for her.

Since I'm training her to be my service dog -- and she already helps me walk and pulls me up -- I asked the hospital rep. if I could bring her with me. She said I could but only if I had someone else with me to take care of her.
Have you tried www.petsitusa.com they have pet sitters listed everywhere. I have two regular sitters who stay in my home when I have to go away.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:43 AM

8,064 posts, read 17,961,447 times
Indeed, World Citizen. I am so grateful for all of the wonderful comments and suggestions! Thank you, all!!!!!

I'm waiting to hear if my friends can arrange coming down to stay with my furkids. That would be the ideal, obviously. If they can't, I'll start calling people and brainstorming with church friends.

We have a prayer group for college students at church and I'm thinking that maybe our pastor could recommend one of the students to help out. Staying in a nice and quiet home with a fridge full of food and getting paid just for feeding and playing with my wonderful doggies might appeal!

Old 08-29-2008, 08:48 AM

8,064 posts, read 17,961,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
Have you tried www.petsitusa.com they have pet sitters listed everywhere. I have two regular sitters who stay in my home when I have to go away.
I went to the website and, unfortunately, they don't have anyone listed for my city. There are pet sitters listed in the phone book. If my friends can't come and I can't find a college student from church to help, I'll call them and check out their references.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:48 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,629,535 times
I too am in Florida, but would be willing to help you in any way if I lived closer to you! I hope everything works out for you, I am sure it will!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs