Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 11:35 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times

Advertisements

I was at Petsmart yesterday picking up cat junk and I saw a 2 women and a man come in w/ 3 very young pit bull puppies. puppies were still VERY squinty and young looking and one was sucking on a lady's finger like it was nursing. the pups were beautiful and I was relieved to hear that they had all already been adopted, but it seems like they were far too young to be in a pet store w/ multiple other dogs. shouldn't pups w/o their shots stay away from other dogs? I've seen this happen often and it has me a bit worried these pups are going to catch something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 11:45 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,424,202 times
I'd be concerned too, they sound like they're far too young to be out in the public. I rem. once going to a huge PetCo in the area and someone had just gotten a black pug puppy - it was a cold rainy dreary day and it was huddled in its owner's arms - the pup w/h been far better off at home til it was older and had all its puppy shots (it prob. had none). Have often wondered what happened to that little puppy.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:48 AM

214 posts, read 961,685 times
I see it a lot too, and even worse at a busy dog park. It is very irresponsible because the puppy is extremely suceptible to all different kinds of diseases. Quite honestly, I don't think the people that bring them to those places know any better. It would seem like common sense to some...just like you wouldn't bring a baby to someplace unsanitary...but people do that too. Inexperience and ignorance are to blame. A lot of times when I see people bring their puppies to the dog park, we usually get into a conversation (I can't help it, I have to go over and coddle the puppy ) and it usually turns out that they have no idea about the dangers, so I explain it to them and go on my way. Some people simply just don't care and just want to show off their new acquisition.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:02 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,938,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I was at Petsmart yesterday picking up cat junk and I saw a 2 women and a man come in w/ 3 very young pit bull puppies. puppies were still VERY squinty and young looking and one was sucking on a lady's finger like it was nursing. the pups were beautiful and I was relieved to hear that they had all already been adopted, but it seems like they were far too young to be in a pet store w/ multiple other dogs. shouldn't pups w/o their shots stay away from other dogs? I've seen this happen often and it has me a bit worried these pups are going to catch something
I hate to say it. But they're doing it to show off. Show off their new precious toy for everyone to see. I agree that they should stay home until they get their series of immunizations. Parvo is running rampant as well. Sorry..but totally irresponsible!

Old 08-28-2008, 12:14 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
People do this from ignorance. They think I exaggerate when I tell them that Parvo kills puppies...even when I tell them that I practice infectious diseases medicine for a living. Very sad.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:37 PM

692 posts, read 3,855,961 times
To many people say "adopted" when really they got the dog(s) from a petshop. They think they rescued them.

I took in a foster that was 6 weeks old. I've written about her before, but she had already been bought from a shop and turned into our rescue by the time she was 6 weeks. She was already able to eat dry puppy food, but would use my finger or stuffed animal to suck on like she was nursing. The lady that dropped her off should be glad I wasn't already at the adoption. She would have gotten an ear full and a half!

Old 08-29-2008, 12:24 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,526,666 times
Ignorance on their part. I was at a persons house who breeds labs.She let us in but had to disinfect shoes,disinfect hands and all. I do not let anyone in by my pups til they been vaccinated and would not think of taking out in public til all vaccinations done but rabies which I do at later age. Socialization is great but wait get vaccinations and keep your pet safe and others also at same time.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:18 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
Parvo took one of my dogs a few years ago and it was disgusting, I wouldnt wish that on anybody(dog too). Unfortunately common sence (SP) and people rarely go hand in hand.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:44 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,230,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
I hate to say it. But they're doing it to show off. Show off their new precious toy for everyone to see. I agree that they should stay home until they get their series of immunizations. Parvo is running rampant as well. Sorry..but totally irresponsible!
I only showed off my pups by pictures. I so agree that people want to show their pup off like it's the cutest pup ever. Parvo is serious! I've got a Newfie pup that I'd love the world to see, but he's not setting foot in a store.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:28 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,276,497 times
just like babies they shouldn't be in the public for a while.

heres my complaint ...keep your pets at home when you grocery shop!!!! THANKS!
Unless its a service dog I dont think dogs should be allowed in movie theaters,grocery stores,etc Call me a prude or old fashion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs