Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2008, 01:23 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times

Advertisements

I was trying to run some errands before work today. Drove around downtown 15 minutes before finding a parking space, pulled in and my phone rang, it was one of the supervisors at work

I had to take a client's dog into the vet, 14 years old and had not been doing well at all

The vet tried to reach both the owner (on a cruise) and her emergency contact to no avail.

I stayed with the dog when the vet said he was making a decision and pet him as he went

He not only had a tumor in his ear that continually drained, was 14, but it seems his kidney were shutting down along with a large mass in his abdomen. The vet humanely put him down as opposed to allowing him to suffer the rest of the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 05:54 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
How very sad. Bless you for being there for the poor guy in his last hours. At least he had some comforting caresses and loving words as he parted this world.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:09 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
Ditto.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:21 PM

Thanks! That ironically makes my job worth the while. Unlike today when a "client" got upset and threatened me with his lawyer when I refused to board his dog this weekend after finding out all vaccinations were not current.

When he informed me he'd get in touch with his lawyer, I simply asked if his lawyer was going to look after his dog.. I handed him our information sheet which declares the dog must be current on all vaccinations.

Sad to say I'd rather sit through one dog's passing than deal with some people

Old 08-29-2008, 05:37 PM
bjh

Yes. I think that one year of customer service should be mandatory to everyone so that people can learn:

1. The world does not revolve around them
2. What is reasonable and unreasonable to expect or demand from service staff
3. Other customers have needs too that matter too
4. If things aren't going your way, it is not necessarily the service person's fault.
5. Also not everything to do with service is under the service person's direct control so
6. It is inappropriate to try to punish service staff or to try to get them in trouble for thing's beyond their control. While 100s of other customers are happy, yet there are the occassional customers who want the building moved slightly to the left, so to speak
8. It is never appropriate to curse at service personnel, be rude, show exagerrated impatience, raise one's voice or make sexual or other rude, intrusive comments about service people
9. Everything worth doing takes time, give service people the chance to fill your request
10. The world does not revolve around them - again, but it bears repeating.

Well it felt good to get that out. Can you tell I've dealt with the public before? Not anymore and thank God. I never want to do that again. And would you believe, I like people.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:24 PM

LOL I love it. I would go as far to say 95% of our clients are awesome, just get a few every now and again that make you want to wish their heads were bowling balls.

That's why I try my best, not to show up at any retail establishment a few minutes before they close, I know they want to go home. Also, when I'm the customer, I try to go out of my way to be polite and also wish them a good day before they have the chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Yes. I think that one year of customer service should be mandatory to everyone so that people can learn:

1. The world does not revolve around them
2. What is reasonable and unreasonable to expect or demand from service staff
3. Other customers have needs too that matter too
4. If things aren't going your way, it is not necessarily the service person's fault.
5. Also not everything to do with service is under the service person's direct control so
6. It is inappropriate to try to punish service staff or to try to get them in trouble for thing's beyond their control. While 100s of other customers are happy, yet there are the occassional customers who want the building moved slightly to the left, so to speak
8. It is never appropriate to curse at service personnel, be rude, show exagerrated impatience, raise one's voice or make sexual or other rude, intrusive comments about service people
9. Everything worth doing takes time, give service people the chance to fill your request
10. The world does not revolve around them - again, but it bears repeating.

Well it felt good to get that out. Can you tell I've dealt with the public before? Not anymore and thank God. I never want to do that again. And would you believe, I like people.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:24 PM
bjh

I felt like I was writing the 10 commandments of how not to be a bad customer, except they don't begin with, "Thou shalt not..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs