U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 08:04 PM

4,541 posts, read 13,132,832 times

Advertisements

I'm SO glad to hear this, movin on.!!!

I did the same thing only a few DAYS after losing my "soul mate" dog... I was devastated beyond words. Honestly, I felt numb at the Humane Society..

I am so glad that I got my new baby boy. Don't feel bad. Your baby would not want you to be alone without a dog!

God bless you!

one final thought -- I just read the other posts about adopting a Shih-tzu from a Shelter. Just so you know, there was an adorable Shih-tzu puppy at the Humane Society when I was there. I mean, a tiny baby puppy... That one happened to be solid black.
I really considered adopting him because I'd had a Shih-tzu before and they are wonderful dogs... but, I'd gone there for a large breed and had all the stuff for a large breed, already.... so, I didn't.

But, you can DEFINITELY find Shih-tzu's at the Humane Society... and other Rescues.... which would be where I'd be looking.... but, of course that just me....

Old 08-30-2008, 08:25 PM

82 posts, read 386,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
I lost my beloved dog five weeks ago today. For several weeks I've been saying I don't know if I'll ever get another dog. But the grief just got to be too much last weekend and I went to the puppy store on Monday. I found an adorable shih tzu but he cost $2000 and that is too much for me. So I went online and found an adorable shih tzu in another state. She is a rare red shih tzu. At any rate, as soon as the weather cools down here it will be ok to fly her here. I feel in a sense that I am betraying my other dog's memory, but I need to continue to function and the pain has been so great that I've decided to get another dog. Have I waited long enough, or am I just being impulsive and not giving myself a proper amount of time to grieve? There will never be another Teddy Bear, but I just can't take the loneliness and grief. Thanks.
I don't think that you're being impulsive at all. People grieve in different ways... when I lost my last dog, I was heartbroken but it was made easier by my other living dog at the time. I could never "replace" him, it just helped to have another dog to care for.

I also don't have a problem w/ getting a dog from a good breeder (although, as others have said, small fluffy dogs end up in rescue surprisingly frequently), just make sure you thoroughly interview the breeder (and make sure he or she has interviewed you, too.) A quick scan through internet sites shows that ethical Shih Tzu breeders will provide proof of clearances for luxating patellas (note: patella surgery can easily run $2000 down the road if your dog has the condition) and cardiac conditions on the parents, and they also note that red is not a rare color (and, in fact, quite easy to produce). Just things to keep in mind!

Old 08-30-2008, 08:44 PM

4,247 posts, read 9,373,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternMkt View Post
I don't think that you're being impulsive at all. People grieve in different ways... when I lost my last dog, I was heartbroken but it was made easier by my other living dog at the time. I could never "replace" him, it just helped to have another dog to care for.

I also don't have a problem w/ getting a dog from a good breeder (although, as others have said, small fluffy dogs end up in rescue surprisingly frequently), just make sure you thoroughly interview the breeder (and make sure he or she has interviewed you, too.) A quick scan through internet sites shows that ethical Shih Tzu breeders will provide proof of clearances for luxating patellas (note: patella surgery can easily run $2000 down the road if your dog has the condition) and cardiac conditions on the parents, and they also note that red is not a rare color (and, in fact, quite easy to produce). Just things to keep in mind!
Thanks, I have no idea what patella surgery is?

Old 08-30-2008, 09:14 PM

1,479 posts, read 7,039,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Thanks, I have no idea what patella surgery is?

Luxating patella is chronic dislocation of the kneecap that is common in small breed dogs. Shih Tzu's are prone to this problem. In many cases surgery is needed, and it is very expensive. Luxating patella

The national breed group has some good info on their website regarding buying a dog from a breeder. Reputable breeders that do the proper health and genetic tests affiliate with the breed group. Some breeders' puppies are expensive. Good breeders do health checks and genetic tests on their dogs and they demand that any dog they sell that has a problem must be returned to them. There is a cost to doing things right and well. Here are some helpful links:
American Shih Tzu Club (http://www.shihtzu.org/Info/questionstoaskabreeder.asp?menu=Info - broken link)
American Shih Tzu Club (http://www.shihtzu.org/Info/dog_selling.asp?menu=Info - broken link)
American Shih Tzu Club (http://www.shihtzu.org/Info/buyerbeware.asp?menu=Info - broken link)

One last thing I'd respectfully ask you to consider. The breeder you are interested in is not, as far as I can tell, registered with APHIS. There is a kennel of the same name, but it is not in Fredericksburg. Iowa is puppy mill country. If you decide to go forward with this breeder, you might want to ask if he is licensed by the state and the Federal government and get his license number. You might also want to check with the local humane organization to see what they can tell you about his operation.

Best wishes...

Last edited by leorah; 08-31-2008 at 06:14 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-30-2008, 11:21 PM

8,062 posts, read 16,221,020 times
I totally agree with leorah. I looked at the website and it made me suspicious that it might be a puppy mill operation or a puppy broker. You really don't want to get a pup from a place like that -- first, because supporting them encourages the "puppy factory" and, secondly, because the pup may turn up with serious health problems and break your heart. A health or replacement guarantee from a kennel like that doesn't mean much when the puppy you've bonded with becomes ill, crippled, or dies.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:55 AM

4,334 posts, read 12,230,154 times
You should go to a shelter and adopt one in need of a home and save an animals life. For every pet bought from a breeder one dies in a shelter due to no home for him/her. "Do not buy while shelter pets die".

Old 08-31-2008, 02:17 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,192,194 times
Only you know when the right time is to get another dog. I got Jazz when I learned my old dog Maddie who was 14 developed lymphoma, she also had a bad heart murmur. I knew that for myself being in a home without a dog for even a day would be too hard for me.

I think getting another dog when you loose one just shows that you enjoyed having a dog so much you don't want to miss out on the pleasure they can bring into your life. There is no dishonor to the dog that passed and no guilt to be felt that it is too soon.

I do agree that website looks like it may be a puppy mill . I am suspicious of people that breed multiple breeds and that website looks nothing like the websites of friends that I consider to be good breeders. Be careful as you do not need your heart broken by a puppy that is sick or poorly bred.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:32 AM

7,136 posts, read 11,020,638 times
Dear movin' on,
I am so sorry about your losses. I have a maltese, shihtzupoo, and yorkiepoo, so I know what you mean about wanting a small, fluffy, nonshedding dog. When our dog Kiki died I was an absolute mess. The vet suggested I go out that day and get a puppy to lessen the grief. We did and it was a great help. It's very hard to be depressed when there's a new pup licking your face and living in the house.

The pup you picked is adorable and if it eases your pain go for it. I understand what the others are saying and it would've been nice if you had found who you wanted at a rescue, but that isn't always possible. I scoured the rescues and Petfinder religiously for six months looking for our first dog, the maltese, and finally the kind lady at the rescue pulled me aside and told me the reality. She said in our area people seldom give up a small, fluffy, nonshedding dogs and I should just go out an buy one. I can't tell you how thankful I was that she told me that because she was right an adoptable maltese didn't show up in the area for over two more years. I wish you well.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:28 AM

Thanks, all. I have reviewed the website but now you have got me concerned. I am going to call the Humane Society in a few minutes to see if that place has any complaints against it. Thanks to whoever mentioned that. Looking at the website and seeing them in business for 29 years gives me a good feeling. They also ask that no one ask them to sell their puppies to pet stores and that they prefer to NOT ship the puppies in air cargo. I called NWA and I guess that is where the puppy would go, but with special attention. I looked on Priceline and the airfare is 300 round trip and that means a three hour drive after a three and a half or more (with layovers) flight just to get there. I cannot take anytime off of work to do this.

I also looked at some rescue sites and the local pound but didn't find a puppy I wanted. My last dog was the cutest dog on the planet, so I am very picky and I want the perfect and cute little dog again. I do feel for all the poor animals in rescue and the pound but I cannot save the world. My job is in social services with the focus on helping troubled kids and I do volunteer, so it's not like I am a fluff person, but I feel like I just want the puppy that I want. And I am not going to feel guilty about it.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
Dear movin' on,
I am so sorry about your losses. I have a maltese, shihtzupoo, and yorkiepoo, so I know what you mean about wanting a small, fluffy, nonshedding dog. When our dog Kiki died I was an absolute mess. The vet suggested I go out that day and get a puppy to lessen the grief. We did and it was a great help. It's very hard to be depressed when there's a new pup licking your face and living in the house.

The pup you picked is adorable and if it eases your pain go for it. I understand what the others are saying and it would've been nice if you had found who you wanted at a rescue, but that isn't always possible. I scoured the rescues and Petfinder religiously for six months looking for our first dog, the maltese, and finally the kind lady at the rescue pulled me aside and told me the reality. She said in our area people seldom give up a small, fluffy, nonshedding dogs and I should just go out an buy one. I can't tell you how thankful I was that she told me that because she was right an adoptable maltese didn't show up in the area for over two more years. I wish you well.
Thanks for understanding. I too had a Maltese and my last dog that died was a Pekepoo. I go in for the small and fluffy dogs. And thanks for saying my new baby is adorable !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or