Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 07:51 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,449,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
There's no question that every puppy deserves the best home possible and no one should feel guilty for giving a puppy a home.

I think what people are trying to say is this: You've been through hell with the recent illness and death of your beloved dog. Shih Tzu's are prone to a number of hereditary problems that can be heartwrenching and expensive to treat. If you really want a puppy, by going to a reputable breeder you will be doing everything possible to ensure that your new pup doesn't have a genetic predisposition to issues such as luxating patellas, eye problems, etc. that will cause you heartache and your dog immeasurable misery. With an older rescue dog you will pretty much know what you are getting.

I wish you well.
Thank you. You make much sense. No, I do not want an older dog, as the loss I just suffered almost wiped me out.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:04 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,170,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
What everyone seems to forget, is that these puppies only want the best. They are lost without us. So why should I feel guilty over adopting a puppy/

Also, while these puppies wants the best, the BYBs who selling them want to fill their pockets with cash, and as long as you're buying the pups, they will continue filling their pockets, with disregards to betterment of the breed.
Does it make any sense?
You don't need to feel guilty over adopting a puppy, but in your case, you're not adopting, you're buying one, and you are buying from the puppy store, which is contributing to BYB.

Cheers!

Old 09-01-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
Also, while these puppies wants the best, the BYBs who selling them want to fill their pockets with cash, and as long as you're buying the pups, they will continue filling their pockets, with disregards to betterment of the breed.
Does it make any sense?
You don't need to feel guilty over adopting a puppy, but in your case, you're not adopting, you're buying one, and you are buying from the puppy store, which is contributing to BYB.

Cheers!
You know what...if the worst thing I do in life is to BUY a puppy, I can live with myself.

Moderator cut: edit

Last edited by Sam I Am; 09-01-2008 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 09-01-2008, 09:43 AM

5 posts, read 11,801 times
Every puppy needs a home and to be loved, no matter where it comes from. Congrats on your new baby!

Old 09-01-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrizentx View Post
Every puppy needs a home and to be loved, no matter where it comes from. Congrats on your new baby!
Thank you SO much! I really appreciate it. After what I've gone through in the last five weeks after losing the light of my life (who was my child), I just want some other little love to look forward to!

Old 09-01-2008, 10:32 AM

5 posts, read 11,801 times
Quote:
Thank you SO much! I really appreciate it. After what I've gone through in the last five weeks after losing the light of my life (who was my child), I just want some other little love to look forward to!
My blk lab, Athena, just passed away July 25, so I know how you feel. She was 12yrs old and I miss her so much. I have another dog and he hasn't been the same since. I think you are doing the best thing to get a puppy to love. I looked at her pic and she is toooo cute. I wish you and her many happy years together. My pets are my kids too.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrizentx View Post
My blk lab, Athena, just passed away July 25, so I know how you feel. She was 12yrs old and I miss her so much. I have another dog and he hasn't been the same since. I think you are doing the best thing to get a puppy to love. I looked at her pic and she is toooo cute. I wish you and her many happy years together. My pets are my kids too.
Oh, I am so sorry for your loss. I had to put my Teddy Bear to sleep on July 26. It's horrible, isn't it? I am quite sure your house has just not felt the same since. And your poor dog too. They grieve. I have a cat who was a kitten and grew up with my dog. Well, he used to weigh quite a bit and now I pick him up and he feels much lighter, so he's lost weight. He's grieving too and no doubt doesn't understand why Teddy is no longer here. I am hoping that the new puppy will perk him up and that the two will bond. Thanks for your thoughts and I also think she is toooo cute.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:44 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,170,015 times
Quote:
You know what...if the worst thing I do in life is to BUY a puppy, I can live with myself.
Buying a puppy is not the "worst" thing, buying a puppy from BYB is.

Moderator cut: cut

Last edited by Sam I Am; 09-01-2008 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: orphaned - the post you are referring to has been deleted

Old 09-01-2008, 12:55 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,467,954 times
Quote:
BTW, I am SO sorry for your loss. I know the grief you are experiencing. All I can say is I understand. I can't tell you things are going to get better. I believe grief is only replaced by another grief. I lost my Maltese three years ago to drowning. There wasn't a day that went by I didn't think of her. My grief over her was only superceded by Teddy Bear's death. I have been too heartbroken to think about it, but last weekend I came seriously close to doing something that would not be a good idea. I realized I have to think of my self-preservation. This is why I moved forward with what I did.
Thanks, same to you. I think I'll miss my dog forever (I still miss my dog Andrew who has been gone for 20 years). But in any case, I hope you feel better.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:47 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,308,960 times
Moderator cut: edit

I'm one of those who you might consider to have posted something negative, even though it was meant to be...it's just the way I feel about pets. I'm also not the most diplomatic person you'll meet, however you came across very defensive and almost dared anyone to say anthing about you buying a dog. Moderator cut: edit

One of my dogs was bought from a back yard breeder...she's now 4 years old and I did so because when I moved back to the UK I had a hard time adopting a dog because I was living with my family for the first 6 months and didn't have a place of my own...the rescues didn't think me suitable. The love of my life my Boston Terrier had died a year before in California and I wanted a dog so desperatley. No sooner I moved into my own house I got a second dog from a couple who were moving from the UK to America and didn't want to take their 5 month old Jack Russell. My third dog a yorkie mix was a foster dog I fell in love with and couldn't be parted from, so I adopted him. I also have a mixed breed almost one year old puppy by default...long story.

Every time I tell myself I'm going to take a break from fostering I get a phone call from the shelter begging me to take a dog they just don't have room for. Tomorrow I'm picking up a Spaniel that they rescued from someone who just bred the damn daylights out of her year after year - That's the reality of buying dogs from internet sites with shopping carts, who'll accept credit cards.

I'll now step away from the computer and take a deep breath.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 09-01-2008 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: orphaned - the post you are referring to has been deleted...and a little personal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs