U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 04:06 PM

4,247 posts, read 9,375,646 times

Advertisements

I lost my beloved dog five weeks ago today. For several weeks I've been saying I don't know if I'll ever get another dog. But the grief just got to be too much last weekend and I went to the puppy store on Monday. I found an adorable shih tzu but he cost $2000 and that is too much for me. So I went online and found an adorable shih tzu in another state. She is a rare red shih tzu. At any rate, as soon as the weather cools down here it will be ok to fly her here. I feel in a sense that I am betraying my other dog's memory, but I need to continue to function and the pain has been so great that I've decided to get another dog. Have I waited long enough, or am I just being impulsive and not giving myself a proper amount of time to grieve? There will never be another Teddy Bear, but I just can't take the loneliness and grief. Thanks.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:41 PM

19,828 posts, read 56,079,330 times
Why spend so much and wait so long? Go to a rescue group and save a life. Call your local shelter and ask about the breed you want - they sometimes get prebreeds. I think you've waited long enough. I have never waited more than 2 weeks and in one case, two days later as my other dog seemed lost w/o his buddy. It honors your lost baby that it was so good, you want to do it again!

Old 08-30-2008, 05:11 PM

2,464 posts, read 5,826,712 times
I lost my dog of 6 years this week. We had to put her to sleep after she suffered from a spinal cord injury. My other dog is not herself w/o her but I'm not personally ready to get another dog yet. What can I say, I'm too heartbroken to think about it. I guess you know when it's time to move on. I don't think there's an appropriate time to adopt again.

I would recommend going to an animal shelter when you do decide to get a dog... there's so many of them that need homes and many of them only have days to live before they are put to sleep themselves. More often than not they'll have the breed/mix that you want and you'll save a life.

Old 08-30-2008, 05:27 PM

Yes, I appreciate your sentiments, and I did look into rescue dogs, but I know exactly what I want. I have always only wanted small and fluffy dogs. When I was a child, I wanted 14 of them.

At any rate, if anyone wants to see my new baby, here is a link. She is number 3.

Current agreatdog Iowa Born AKC Shih Tzus Puppies for Sale.

BTW, I did respond to an ad for a Shih Tzu here locally, whose owners wanted to rehome him. I did write them. They are being very wary of where he goes. Part of me thinks they do not want to part with him at all, which is ok. I tried.

Old 08-30-2008, 05:31 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,737,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
I lost my beloved dog five weeks ago today. For several weeks I've been saying I don't know if I'll ever get another dog. But the grief just got to be too much last weekend and I went to the puppy store on Monday. I found an adorable shih tzu but he cost $2000 and that is too much for me. So I went online and found an adorable shih tzu in another state. She is a rare red shih tzu. At any rate, as soon as the weather cools down here it will be ok to fly her here. I feel in a sense that I am betraying my other dog's memory, but I need to continue to function and the pain has been so great that I've decided to get another dog. Have I waited long enough, or am I just being impulsive and not giving myself a proper amount of time to grieve? There will never be another Teddy Bear, but I just can't take the loneliness and grief. Thanks.
We lost our first dog, Baci (a chocolate Lab), at the age of 11 last June. The summer was HORRIBLE without her, I cried all the time since I missed her so much. I found myself constantly looking at rescue and pound sites, but wasn't sure if we were ready for another dog.

Then I saw a picture of Levi on the site from a local kill shelter. I didn't tell my husband and son, but when I got out of work early the next day since it was the holiday weekend, I drove the 70+ miles to get him. I knew there would never be another Baci, so I steered myself away from considering another Lab. Levi was about 6 weeks old at the time of adoption, and I've come to love him so much! He's such a goober, all he makes us do is laugh!

Good luck with whatever you decide. I can definitely say that Levi filled the empty part of our hearts created by the absence of Baci.

Old 08-30-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
I lost my dog of 6 years this week. We had to put her to sleep after she suffered from a spinal cord injury. My other dog is not herself w/o her but I'm not personally ready to get another dog yet. What can I say, I'm too heartbroken to think about it. I guess you know when it's time to move on. I don't think there's an appropriate time to adopt again.

I would recommend going to an animal shelter when you do decide to get a dog... there's so many of them that need homes and many of them only have days to live before they are put to sleep themselves. More often than not they'll have the breed/mix that you want and you'll save a life.
BTW, I am SO sorry for your loss. I know the grief you are experiencing. All I can say is I understand. I can't tell you things are going to get better. I believe grief is only replaced by another grief. I lost my Maltese three years ago to drowning. There wasn't a day that went by I didn't think of her. My grief over her was only superceded by Teddy Bear's death. I have been too heartbroken to think about it, but last weekend I came seriously close to doing something that would not be a good idea. I realized I have to think of my self-preservation. This is why I moved forward with what I did.

Old 08-30-2008, 05:49 PM

29,038 posts, read 45,065,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Yes, I appreciate your sentiments, and I did look into rescue dogs, but I know exactly what I want. I have always only wanted small and fluffy dogs. When I was a child, I wanted 14 of them.

At any rate, if anyone wants to see my new baby, here is a link. She is number 3.

Current agreatdog Iowa Born AKC Shih Tzus Puppies for Sale.

BTW, I did respond to an ad for a Shih Tzu here locally, whose owners wanted to rehome him. I did write them. They are being very wary of where he goes. Part of me thinks they do not want to part with him at all, which is ok. I tried.
They do have thousands of small fluffy dogs in rescue, but obviously this is your choice to make. Have you researched the breeder properly, to ensure they aren't back-yard breeders or a puppy mill? And do they have medical records for the parents, genetic testing, shots, etc? I am glad you didn't buy the pet store one, at least, since those are most definitely not well-bred (not to mention overpriced!).

Regardless, I am very sorry for your loss, and only you know when you're ready for a new pup. I lost my beloved Gizmo (cat) seven years ago, and got a new kitten within a few weeks... I just couldn't handle the emptiness in my heart and home, plus my other cat was very lonely. I probably should have waited a LITTLE longer, since I had a recurrence of grief shortly after getting Cyrus - but overall it was a good choice, and I don't regret moving forward. You never move ON or get over the loss, but you really should carry forward and open your heart to a new dog. I think your "Teddy Bear" would want it that way. Good luck with the new puppy, and I hope she brings you many years of love.

Last edited by gizmo980; 08-30-2008 at 05:58 PM..

Old 08-30-2008, 06:01 PM

29,038 posts, read 45,065,598 times
FYI: I just did a Petfinder search for Shih Tzu puppies, and came up with HUNDREDS of results!
Shih Tzu, Adoptable Pets: Petfinder

Look at these cuties: Adopt a Shih Tzu: Panda & China: Petfinder

I don't want to come across as anti-purebred or anything, since I've owned my share (including my current Cyrus, who's a Blue Persian cat)... nothing wrong with purebreds at all, as long as you do your research - and realize how many rescues are available too.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:06 PM

8,062 posts, read 16,224,863 times
Shih tsus show up at our local shelter and rescue a LOT. They're small, they get out of their yard and the owners don't claim them because they don't want to pay the fine. Lots of purebreeds wind up at the shelter that way.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I think it would honor your pet's memory so beautifully to help out another shih tsu in need rather than take the chance of buying from a not-so-great breeder. Just my thoughts.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:22 PM

Thanks for all of your sentiments. I really DO appreciate them. FWIW, my will states that 90% of what I have, over $500K goes strictly to the ASPCA and The Humane Society, in addition to all of my jewelry. Therefore, I do not feel guilty for getting the puppy I want. I am willing to give all of my assets to help animals, but I do hold firm in wanting the puppy of my choosing.

However, I will look at the links you've posted. As I mentioned, I wanted 14 dogs as a child. So thank you for posting the links.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or