Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2008, 09:32 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,076 times

Advertisements

A few months ago I posted about my sister's dog - an Australian Shepherd - who really disliked me. He growled at me anytime I even accidently looked in his direction and snapped at me if I dared to make eye contact or put my hand down like I might have remotely thought about petting him. This whole situation had the ingredients of becoming a huge family problem. My sister and I are pretty close and our families get together several times a year - often at our parents home with kids, dogs... in attendance. Her dog's open aggression toward me had become an issue. I am a big dog lover and felt pretty crummy that my only sister's dog pretty much hated me.

My sister reluctantly admitted that I wasn't the only one who received such negative attention from this dog. There was a short list of people who he had decided he didn't like. That didn't really make me feel much better.

After a lot of coaxing, my sister and her husband finally agreed to get the dog neutered. I had heard from my sister that the dog was "a new dog" but was holding out judgement until I saw it for myself. It has been six months now and we got together for a long weekend at our parent's lake house with out ANY trouble! Amazing... No snaps, no growls (OK - maybe one, but he was very quiet and almost bashful about it). He even layed on my feet when he was tired and came up to me for a rub on his own accord. Tremendous progress!

I don't think that neutering is a cure all for all problems, but for this guy it seems to have made him a new dog and has certainly made the family dynamics much more pleasant. I might even think about introducing him to my dog someday, maybe....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 11:56 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
Glad there's been a change for the better!

As I understand it, the effect lessens with age, but neutering can often help with aggression issues if they were hormone-based .

Old 09-02-2008, 06:06 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,534,193 times
Fix 'em all (lol)! Glad you were able to swing your sister and her husband over to the responsible side of pet ownership. Thanks for the update!

Old 09-02-2008, 08:08 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
That's bound to make those family gatherings alot more relaxing I'm glad they went ahead and had him neutered.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:39 AM

265 posts, read 1,292,515 times
pinetreelover, that's great. I read your last post with dismay. So glad things turned out well, and that he got neutered!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs