U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2008, 10:06 AM

543 posts, read 2,145,527 times

Advertisements

I am the mama to a silly little jack russell named Gidget that I love and adore so much. This past summer has been rough for me because I lost two of my pets and said that I would never get another dog other than Giddy. Over the weekend, I have been thinking of getting another JRT.

I want to adopt but I am not sure if it would be better to go to the local shelter or a JRT rescue group.

For those of you who went the rescue group route, was spaying and neutering included in the fees? That is very important to me as I am a firm believer in spaying and neutering. I know that our local shelter includes that in their fees.

Also, do any of you own a male JRT? Are they more hyper than the girls?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 12:45 PM

702 posts, read 2,242,402 times
I think that well run rescue groups generally know the dogs better because they are usually in foster care so they can get a better idea of how the dog behaves in a home environment. Many of these foster homes have multiple pets, children etc so you will usually get a lot of information about the dog you are interested in before bringing that dog home.

Shelters are still good places to adopt dogs, but when you are adding a second dog sometimes it really is best to get as much information as you can. Shelter staff only know so much about the dog and a lot of times dogs don't show their true personalities in a shelter setting. If you visit a no kill shelter they may have more information because the dog may have been there longer giving them more time to get to know the dog. The length of stay for a dog doesn't mean they are a bad dog, just overlooked for whatever reason.

I volunteer for a breed rescue and get lots of cross posts from other rescues/shelters looking for help for their dogs. There was one dog I learned about that had been a at a shelter for 18 months with no interest even though the dog was very sweet, trained and a medium sized, short haired dog. Nobody could figure out why she had been overlooked. The shelter was closing and they were desperate to find homes for all their dogs and they feared this one would not find a home. I forwarded the email to a co-worker and it turned out her friend was interested in a puppy from the shelter. Arrangements were made to bring the dog in (the shelter was out of state) with some other dogs in case matches couldn't be made with the selected dog. Well the puppy didn't work out and the shelter staff brought Wilma hoping someone might want her and it turned out to be a perfect match! So Wilma has a loving family after waiting 18 months and being taken off the euthanize list several times.

As long as you adopt thoughtfully and not impulsively you should do fine. You may also want to ensure your dog is open to another family member. It's devistating to have to return a dog for both the adopter and adoptee. Remember it's twice the work and twice the cost and some shelter/rescue dogs have some special needs and require patience as they adapt to their new home. Good luck!

P.S. If you have worked with or know of a trainer you may want to speak with them about adding a dog to your family prior to doing so. He or she can help you select and transition the dog into your home and then help with any issues that come up.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:27 PM

1,738 posts, read 7,496,855 times
I know nothing about jacks but think you are awesome for rescuing.
I dont know a ton about rescues either. We always get ours from the pound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs