U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 04:33 PM

29,041 posts, read 44,910,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Clean the wound out with peroxide and then apply neosporin, he should heal up fine.

Now, I'm confused- then again I was born that way , but why can't you use a Gentle Leader without fear of harming Rudy?
I'm afraid of hurting his "armpits" again, since that is what caused the sores. I really don't pull hard on it, though he does yank me occasionally - but if that's all it takes to give him a sore, I'm afraid to use that harness again. Can anyone recommend a good padded harness? I love how the Gentle Leader pulls from the front (instead of the shoulder blades like a regular harness), but it's not worth hurting his delicate skin.

What about these? http://store.thenewyorkdogshop.com/pusomehaornc.html
They are geared toward little dogs, so Rudy is actually an XL by their measurements - LOL. Would something like this provide enough support and control for a 42 lb. dog? My best friend uses these on her dogs, but they are about 5 lbs. each.

Last edited by gizmo980; 09-04-2008 at 04:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonchix View Post
Pick a side that you want your dog to walk on (we prefer having our dogs on our left side). As the dog moves to get a head of you, take your right leg and cut the dog off. You will pivot on your left leg and at the end of the right leg turn you will be facing your dog. Once you are facing your dog...walk at your dog (you are now moving in the opposite direction of your walk)...backing your dog up. Dogs like to move in a forward motion, they do not like backward movement. Praise and "treat" your dog for staying at your side (we love using clicker training and dogs pick up on it VERY fast)...when the dog makes the move again to get in front of you, use your right leg again and step in front of your dog and back your dog up.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Thank you for explaining your method, and I will definitely try it! I already make him walk on the right side, unless we're going the wrong way on a busy street (as I mentioned, city walking is a challenge )... and I do stop when he pulls, but haven't tried making him back up or using my leg. We'll do this on our next walk, and I'll let you know how it works.

Oh, and to respond to the suggestions of a haltie or halter-type of harness, I don't think that would work for Rudy. He has a long thin nose, so they slip off pretty easily, plus he HATES having things on his face or head... he pulled the muzzle right off when our vet used it, but luckily the vet laughed and said "I don't think he's capable of biting me anyway."

Old 09-04-2008, 05:33 PM

1,587 posts, read 6,675,179 times
Place to look at some harnesses and other gear.
May be expensive compared to some but may find what like or need.

Search & Rescue Dog Supplies from Wiredog - Search and Rescue Dogs Equipment

Old 09-04-2008, 07:30 PM

4,654 posts, read 15,737,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I'm afraid of hurting his "armpits" again, since that is what caused the sores. I really don't pull hard on it, though he does yank me occasionally - but if that's all it takes to give him a sore, I'm afraid to use that harness again. Can anyone recommend a good padded harness? I love how the Gentle Leader pulls from the front (instead of the shoulder blades like a regular harness), but it's not worth hurting his delicate skin.

What about these? TheNewYorkDogShop.com
They are geared toward little dogs, so Rudy is actually an XL by their measurements - LOL. Would something like this provide enough support and control for a 42 lb. dog? My best friend uses these on her dogs, but they are about 5 lbs. each.
The Gentle Leaders I'm talking about go on the head, not their harness. Like here for example Gentle Leader Product Description - Premier Pet When sized properly it shouldn't come off like the muzzle did.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
The Gentle Leaders I'm talking about go on the head, not their harness. Like here for example Gentle Leader Product Description - Premier Pet When sized properly it shouldn't come off like the muzzle did.
Oh, I thought you were talking about what we have, which is the regular harness. I've never tried a head harness, but I really think that would upset Rudy... he's pretty sensitive about his face & paws, which we've been working on since I adopted him. If I find the regular harnesses aren't working, though, I will possibly consider trying a head one. I used to walk a very large/strong and dog-aggressive Golden Retriever (go figure ), and that's what her owners had me use - seemed to work pretty well!

Old 09-05-2008, 06:37 AM

4,654 posts, read 15,737,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Oh, I thought you were talking about what we have, which is the regular harness. I've never tried a head harness, but I really think that would upset Rudy... he's pretty sensitive about his face & paws, which we've been working on since I adopted him. If I find the regular harnesses aren't working, though, I will possibly consider trying a head one. I used to walk a very large/strong and dog-aggressive Golden Retriever (go figure ), and that's what her owners had me use - seemed to work pretty well!

No worries gizmo980 If I try and walk Tony on a regular collar and leash, it's like wlaking a kite in a hurricane, whereas when I used the Gentle Leader for the head, he's a gentleman.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:13 AM

4,549 posts, read 9,725,122 times
We went out yesterday and got the gentle leader that goes around the head/nose. I thought she was really going to resist - 5 years old, just adopted her. But walking her was impossible! The pulling....

Anyway, she was a bit annoyed with it every now and then, but walking with her was a dream. I imagine it will take a few more times till we really get it down, but, what a turn around.

On the flip side, we have a dog park within a minute of our house that we take her to and let her just go loose and run all that energy out - she'll just run and run. So I don't feel so bad about having to control her so much when we just walk.

I'll admit at first I felt guilty - but my son kept reminding me it wasn't hurting her - she was just annoyed a little. It made for a pleasant experience - my son and I could have a conversation while walking her, which was nice. My husband comes back from a business trip tonight. He'll be amazed. He was usually the one walking her because he was the only one who could some what put up with the pulling. I had stopped walking with him over the last week because I couldn't keep up without running or I was talking to his back side way behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs