Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 10:30 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,450,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
Anytime my lab did anything wrong my boyfriend would say that he needs to be an outside dog. Well guess what.....dog is still in the house and boy friend is gone.
Ha Ha! Love it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 10:32 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,450,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
One of our neighbors has a beagle mix that they keep outside in a doggie house. Being in the south, we were so concerned about it being outside in the heat and humidity so my kids asked her kids why the dog was outside. My kids were told that the dog refuses to be inside, wails and whines and barks its head off when inside and sits by the door scratching to get out. In really hot weather, they "force" the dog indoors in cooler temps until the evening when he can be let out again. They have to endure all that barking and whining just to protect the dog from herself. They make sure she's plenty hydrated, but I thought that is mighty weird!
I have a neighbor who tells me the same thing, only I see and hear his dog crying at their back door, she's starved for attention, so I know it's not true .

Old 09-10-2008, 02:33 PM

259 posts, read 851,065 times
Our two labs are inside dogs, but we have one of those doggie doors that we got at petsmart that goes in the sliding door tracks. So if they want to go outside they can go wander around, roll around in the grass, bark at kids that walk too close to the fence(they get in trouble for that..lol), and howl when the national anthem plays on base through the giant voice speakers. Our neighbors on the other hand like to leave their two dogs outside a lot even when they're barking their heads off. We usually unleash our hounds to bark at them, but I've trained mine too well. They just go out there and stare at them with that why you barking at me face.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:43 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,658,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heather21365 View Post
I hate this too, but I do think it's a cultural thing in some areas. In rural MS, where my boyfriend's extended family lives, the majority of dogs live outside, no ifs ands or buts. Some people -- a few -- will take their dogs inside if the weather is severely cold, but that's it. It's heartbreaking, but it's a learned behavior -- that's how they grew up, with the dog wandering around outside or chained to something all of the time, so that's what they know. I could never imagine doing that to my dog, ever.
That makes me very upset! I know, it goes on in every state all over! Dogs chained to a doghouse their whole life! Especially in the southern states.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:30 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,171,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katolb90 View Post
Why do people get dogs and leave them outside in the yard 24/7? Then there are others that at least bring them in at night and put them in the 'basement'. What's the point? Just get a turtle or a goldfish instead. Burns me up. Dogs are such high-level companions and I hate to see this waste.

There are many resources for learning how to housetrain a dog. Why don't people use these resources?
I couldn't agree with you more! I absolutely cannot stand when I see dogs left outside like that! My husband and I own 3 American Pit Bull Terriers, all of which always have been and always will be "inside" dogs.

There are a couple reasons why our dogs are inside dogs, and why I HATE when people have "outside" dogs. One, dogs are social animals, they live in packs and they need to be with their pack, so to say. Just like people wouldn't want to be left alone all day everyday, dogs don't want to be left alone all day everyday! Dogs need that love and attention, they need that companionship! And two, it's not safe to leave a dog outside unattended like that. Dogs can get stolen, another animal or person could come into the yard and hurt or kill the dog, it could get out and run away, get hit by a car or get hurt or killed somehow! There is nothing good about leaving a dog outside unattended like that, and IMHO, people that have or want an outside dog shouldn't own a dog, period!

Old 09-11-2008, 07:17 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times
My pit bull terriers and boarder collie mix like being outside. I work during the day so they would be without human companion during that time inside or out. I see nothing wrong with outside dogs as long as they get attention. Dogs are animals and adapted to living outside. When I am home we go for walks, play fetch, swim in the pond or just hang out, they can come inside if they want and do, usually when it is raining, real cold or real hot or someone is cooking and they think they will get a treat. They also like to stay in at night most of the time.

Keep in mind there is a difference in keeping a dog chained and neglected 24/7 and letting a dog outside to be a dog.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:08 AM

774 posts, read 1,418,538 times
When I was growing up my dad had 5 coon hunting dogs and they were never allowed in the house. My brother had a beagle that was in the house a lot.
I think there are those that get dogs and leave them outside just so they will bark when someone is around.
I have two dogs, a pug and a mutt, they are always in the house unless I go outside then they are right there with me. My pug sleeps with me and the mutt sleeps on the bed at my feet until my hubby comes to bed then he sleeps on the floor at the foot of the bed.
I would never have a dog that was outside on a chain all day every day.

My neighbor moved in with a small camper trailer and 21 dogs! NO KIDDING. Well some of them were old and have passed and I think he is down to about 15 dogs now. But they all sleep in the camper with him. He says they are his family. He has a pen set up with a doggie door into the camper so they can go in and out whenever they want to.
The only problem I have with him having all those dogs, is the smell. Our neighbor is a real nice guy, he is disabled and we go over and help him with things a lot, but I have to have a bandana sprayed with perfume with me when I'm over there. And he has an odor to his clothes also, so when he comes over to our place you just don't want to be standing downwind of him.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:48 PM

206 posts, read 344,430 times
There is a good chance I will grow old alone too. I may be just like that person with 15 dogs in a camper. LOL

And what about those people who say a dog is 'too big' to be inside the house. What???? Most humans are bigger than dogs. Duh

House training is not that complicated. The key is discipline (the owner), crate-training and lots of dog toys. Works like a charm. Lots of people don't like crates, but when my dogs were young (like for the first year/year and 1/2) they were crate-trained and I slowly graduated them out of the crate. I've never had any problems with soiling or chewing since. Unfortunately, I haven't taught them much of anything else. BUT WE GOT THE BASICS! LOL

Old 09-13-2008, 05:04 PM

315 posts, read 1,088,112 times
For old people that have no family dogs are a saving grace - yes, even with the smell that comes with them...lol. If they can tolerate it and the dogs are happy I guess a bit of perfume under our noses is worth it.
My dogs were all inside dogs and also crate trained and obedience trained.Right now we have 4 and they are all inside with us. Plenty of space outside but they come in right after they finish their bathroom duties. Dogs are social animals who want to be with us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs