U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 11:20 AM

206 posts, read 290,237 times

Advertisements

Why do people get dogs and leave them outside in the yard 24/7? Then there are others that at least bring them in at night and put them in the 'basement'. What's the point? Just get a turtle or a goldfish instead. Burns me up. Dogs are such high-level companions and I hate to see this waste.

There are many resources for learning how to housetrain a dog. Why don't people use these resources?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 12:09 PM

4,704 posts, read 10,124,181 times
There is a behavior guy in the San Diegio area called Dr. Dog he has a saying that you might like." Back yard dogs have an address not a home"

How true that is, If you keep your dogs in the yard 24/7 you might want to give that some thought.

I can not answer your question as to why people do that either as it is also a pet peeve of mine.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:53 PM
bjh

30,241 posts, read 23,697,458 times
Some people don't bond with their dogs. Seems odd to those of us for whom it is so natural to bond with ours. Maybe to some of these people having a dog is solely for security, perhaps? I don't know or understand it either.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:58 PM

4,541 posts, read 13,092,187 times
I have a neighbor with 3 dogs that stay outside, running loose all of the time. They feed them... that's about it. The dogs entertain themselves and visit with all of the neighbors for companionship...

I don't get it either.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:10 PM
bjh

30,241 posts, read 23,697,458 times
Years ago I saw something that broke my heart. Neighbors behind us and diagonally had 2 dogs they kept in the yard and ignored except they fed them at night.

One evening when I happened to be on our patio, several yards away, but close enough to see and hear everything clearly. The woman of the house, I won't say lady, stepped out the back door with food bowls for the dogs.

The dogs were THRILLED to see one of their humans. They jump and barked, and the woman yelled at them to shut up and get down. Well, the poor dumb dogs persisted. They didn't know any better, but the woman should have. She yelled at the dogs something like, "Okay you won't stop, forget it!" Then she turned around, went back inside and the poor dogs stood and whined at the door. I hate people like that. And no I am not picking on women.

I had a male neighbor once who always had at least one dog in his backyard. All of whom he ignored. More than once I saw him, step out his back door, without a word, fill the dogs bowl, turn around and go back in. The dog I particularly remember just stood there staring at the door. Ignored for at least another 24 hours. The dog was more interested in companionship than its food!

Very sad. Some people are startlingly ignorant and lacking in basic compassion. Plus, there is not a lot you can do if the dog is not physically abused and is usually fed.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:07 PM

1,479 posts, read 7,013,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Years ago I saw something that broke my heart. Neighbors behind us and diagonally had 2 dogs they kept in the yard and ignored except they fed them at night.

One evening when I happened to be on our patio, several yards away, but close enough to see and hear everything clearly. The woman of the house, I won't say lady, stepped out the back door with food bowls for the dogs.

The dogs were THRILLED to see one of their humans. They jump and barked, and the woman yelled at them to shut up and get down. Well, the poor dumb dogs persisted. They didn't know any better, but the woman should have. She yelled at the dogs something like, "Okay you won't stop, forget it!" Then she turned around, went back inside and the poor dogs stood and whined at the door. I hate people like that. And no I am not picking on women.

I had a male neighbor once who always had at least one dog in his backyard. All of whom he ignored. More than once I saw him, step out his back door, without a word, fill the dogs bowl, turn around and go back in. The dog I particularly remember just stood there staring at the door. Ignored for at least another 24 hours. The dog was more interested in companionship than its food!

Very sad. Some people are startlingly ignorant and lacking in basic compassion. Plus, there is not a lot you can do if the dog is not physically abused and is usually fed.
And how about the dogs who live their lives on the end of a chain, collar ingrown into the neck tissue, tied to a tractor tire (hey, it's a cheap, worksaving waterbowl, right?) or a doghouse or a tree, left there day after day, bored and frustrated and ignored, watching the world go by, just out of reach?

Aww, I just can't stand it sometimes.....http://www.smileyhut.com/sad/weeping.gif (broken link)

Old 09-05-2008, 10:22 PM

4,334 posts, read 12,197,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katolb90 View Post
Why do people get dogs and leave them outside in the yard 24/7? Then there are others that at least bring them in at night and put them in the 'basement'. What's the point? Just get a turtle or a goldfish instead. Burns me up. Dogs are such high-level companions and I hate to see this waste.

There are many resources for learning how to housetrain a dog. Why don't people use these resources?
If you go thru many poor areas of towns you will see tons of backyards full of chained dogs.....some never fed or watered. I did rescue in these areas for years. I called on one like this last year. The dog hardly had the strength to stand up and this is happening all over. Not to mention here in Florida where alot of people move and they leave their pets behind for no one to even know about it. It is pathetic and makes me sick to my stomach. It is almost like they get the dog as a pup and when it grows up they just do not want it or don't care about it anymore. I remember as a young teen when I babysat for these neighbors. They got a 6 month old shepard pup for the kids. They kept it in the basement. I was 14 and I actually ended up babysitting while the mother took the dog miles away and shoved it out of the car. I found out a week later when she told me! And these were well to do people! They had no feelings for animals!

Old 09-05-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
I have a neighbor with 3 dogs that stay outside, running loose all of the time. They feed them... that's about it. The dogs entertain themselves and visit with all of the neighbors for companionship...

I don't get it either.
Here too WC. There are loads of outside dogs around my neighborhood. I hear them all late at night barking in the yards and crying. Makes me angry and sad for those dogs.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:34 PM

When I first found city-data I did not know about the forums until one day when I saw that cirlce on the top right of the page and clicked it. Well before that I would just type in cities and just read or look at photos. I typed in a Florida city where they have tons of photos taken by people from of all over Florida. There were photos also listed as the not so nice side of Florida...UGH! And one was a pic of a poor dog with a home made dog house that consisted of part of a tin roof or something. No one owned the dog! It was chained to a tree by the side of the road. People would feed it I guess. One girl said she would stop sometimes to pet it! Now how sad and sickening is that? I wonder what happened to that dog. There is one I saw like that few towns over too. A black man put a dog house by the road and that is where his dog is chained 24/7. The dog is old and the dog house is even older and too small for the dog! Why would someone do this? It is beyond my comprehension!

Old 09-06-2008, 04:01 PM

1,479 posts, read 7,013,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
When I first found city-data I did not know about the forums until one day when I saw that cirlce on the top right of the page and clicked it. Well before that I would just type in cities and just read or look at photos. I typed in a Florida city where they have tons of photos taken by people from of all over Florida. There were photos also listed as the not so nice side of Florida...UGH! And one was a pic of a poor dog with a home made dog house that consisted of part of a tin roof or something. No one owned the dog! It was chained to a tree by the side of the road. People would feed it I guess. One girl said she would stop sometimes to pet it! Now how sad and sickening is that? I wonder what happened to that dog. There is one I saw like that few towns over too. A black man put a dog house by the road and that is where his dog is chained 24/7. The dog is old and the dog house is even older and too small for the dog! Why would someone do this? It is beyond my comprehension!
I think a lot of it comes down to education. In lots of rural areas--not just in the south, either--when you get a house you get a dog. The dog isn't a pet, it's a type of lawn ornament. Kids grow up in that house, and that becomes the norm for them. Home=dog on a chain in the yard. So, when the kids grow up and they buy a house of their own, they do just like mom and dad did. Home=dog on a chain in the yard. Unless someone teaches the kids differently, the behavior is self-perpetuating. Unfortunately, some folks don't teach, they ridicule, become judgmental or use anger to try to change the behavior. That seems to only solidify the dog owner's position more and increase their resistance to ever opening their mind to another way.

I grew up in puppymill country in the midwest. The folks who were the most successful in changing minds and hearts and making a long-lasting impact on teaching people proper animal care were very special people. They had a gift for elevating people to their level without coming across as judgmental. Never in a million lifetimes could I do what those folks did, and what rescue people I know today who do intake do. I'm in awe of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs