Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 11:59 AM

265 posts, read 1,292,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorya View Post
Liam died today at 10:20. He was lying in bed with me and my husband. We were all trying to get some sleep when he started gasping, then he died. We only had him for 5 days, but it seems like he was here forever and I'm beyond crushed. Thanks again for all the nice replies and good thoughts.
Oh Zorya, so sorry to hear about your loss...for those 5 short days though, you made an enormous difference in his life (as I suspect he did in yours). Take what he taught you, poor little Liam, and bring it to the next dog relationship when you open your home again...and soon, I hope. My theory, btw, is love more...share you life with more dogs/animals, and when they pass as inevitably they do, it hurts a little less when there's still canine love to go 'round...sending good wishes your way.

~PudlePie
P.S. He was exceptionally handsome--I think some kind of Belgian Shepherd...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 04:44 PM

Location: Boy, giraffes are selfish, just runnin’ around looking out for number one.
105 posts, read 342,322 times
I cannot express how much all of your kindness has meant to me these last few days. It’s almost unreal to me how fast I fell in love with this little guy, and how quickly he learned that we were his family and that nobody would ever mistreat him again. I cried for at least a day straight, both for him and us. I don’t feel guilty, but I do feel bad. I promised Liam days filled with Frisbees, long walks and camping on the shores of Lake Michigan. I’m just sad that we weren’t able to give him those. He did however have a few great days playing with my 16yo son, snuggling in bed with us and being brushed (once we assured him that the brush wasn’t for hitting him).

As costly both financially, and even more so emotionally, we would do it all again in a second. I couldn’t imagine him dying alone, tied up outside with no shelter (this is how we found him on Monday). My husband has been doing a research paper for the last few weeks that was due last night. He scraped the entire thing and stayed up all night researching and writing his paper about irresponsible dog breeders and owners. Hopefully Liam’s death will not be for nothing.

Someday we will find another dog to love, a recuse no doubt.

thanks again
Laura
Attached Thumbnails
Australian Shepherd ? New dog questions-liam_02.jpg  

Old 09-08-2008, 05:12 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,276,069 times
this is still so very sad to me but at the same time so very sweet!
I hurt for you and your family that you found this lovely dog and he died shortly after. I feel happy for the dog that he found you all!

many warm wishes!

Old 11-24-2011, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,040 times
He is either half german/half australian shepherd or border collie.. I had a dog that looked identical to him.. they like to run alot

Old 11-26-2011, 08:48 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
I'm very sorry for the loss of your new dog, Laura.
He may have come down with Parvo before you ever got him. It's a very treacherous disease, and most often, by the time a dog starts acting ill, they're beyond help.

I once had a pup about that age get it, even though we vaccinated her shortly before- the virus was already active, and the vaccination doesn't kill the disease if it's already there.

She was my son's dog, an Aussie, and the vet said she was past recovery, but my boy wouldn't accept that. We took her home, gave her an opium suppository to slow down the gut action, and then he and I took turns staying with her for the next 48 straight hours. We kept her warm and hydrated her with an old turkey baster filled with electrolytes during the first 24 hours, giving her a little of the liquid every 20 minutes or so. After that, we used water.

We knew she was going to survive when she wanted out to go pee. And we were certain she would live after she staggered after her great foe, the family house cat.

Parvo is a virus that attacks the upper intestines. Severe ulceration develops in the intestine, and dogs die from shock and dehydration, as severe vomiting and diarrhea happen as a result of the intestine trying to purge itself. Slowing down the gut action helped a lot, as did the electrolytes; dogs, like people, can go into heart failure if their electrolyte imbalance is severe.

We were just very lucky. The vet said afterward that my son's persistence was the only thing that saved her- I had to go to work during the day, but I let him stay home from school to nurse his dog, and he never wavered. He was only 11 at the time.

I have been around only Borders and Aussies my entire life- I was born and raised on a ranch, and all our dogs have always been working dogs. I've seen Parvo sneak up and kill far too many young ones.

Please don't let your experience keep you from getting another dog.
Aussies make great companions, but you need to learn about them before you get another; while they are more a little more laid back than Border Collies, they are more prone to nip than Borders, as they are more used as cattle dogs than sheep dogs. Sheep dogs are trained to never bite, but cow dogs aren't- there are many times when they must nip a cow to get them to move.

Both breeds are very smart and active. They need a lot of exercise- much more than even hunting dogs. Working Aussies have to be able to travel behind a horse all day and still have enough reserve to go running to work cattle, then be able to trail all the way back home again. This endurance is built in to the breed, so just a daily walk usually isn't enough to burn off all their energy.

They also don't do well if left in a house all day while the owners are away working. A good fence or a large dog run is essential if this is the case, and they need a ton of toys to keep them happy and diverted, or they can easily become chronic barkers and fence walkers. The herding breeds are all bred to think for themselves, and this can be a real problem if they don't have lots of jobs for them to do- if a person doesn't come up with a job, the dog will make one. Like re-wiring the house, or killing all the pillows in the place (or piling them all up into a big pile).

If someone is home all the time, they're fine. They attach very deeply to only one person, but they're real good with kids and the rest of the family if one member is their boss. If everyone in the family wants to be the boss, the dog often ends up deciding he's the boss and can become a real bad dog. The best dogs always have just one person who does all the commanding while everyone else shuts up and lets that person do it.

They all really crave lots of affection. A little pat is usually all it takes, and they become their bosses' shadow, and are always underfoot for that person. If they are ignored, they'll go find something to do.

Give one to a kid, teach the child how to work the dog, and that child will have a protector and companion for the dog's life.

But people, I've found, need to be trained how these dogs are before they obtain one. Once you know how they do things, Aussies are great fun and make excellent pets. Once in a great while, it's possible to find a lazy one, and they're the best as pets... they're the ones least likely to call up and order an all-meat pizza.

Here's mine- he's 14 now, getting old and stiff. The heart's still willing, but the bod lets him down these days.
Attached Thumbnails
Australian Shepherd ? New dog questions-pinyard.jpg  

Last edited by banjomike; 11-26-2011 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: added picture

Old 11-26-2011, 08:59 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,880 times
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:48 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Geez. I didn't notice this was an old post when I replied to it. I hope I didn't bring back old hurt, Laura. This is a good thread for folks who are interested in the breed; lots of valuable advice here about them.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:05 PM

6 posts, read 40,327 times
Yes this dog has Aussie in him and may have some border collie also. They are natural herding dogs. I have one that is 15 years old now - part Aussie and a little bit border collie. As a young dog my dog could run about 25 miles per hour - I would drive beside her as she ran about 30 yards to the side of my vehicle in the county. Herding instinct showed up when she would want to go outside and she would put her nose behind my knee tryijng to herd me. Not often, and that stopped with me correcting her.

Highly intelligent dogs. I had no idea. At night she sleeps in a dog bed in a back bedroom. The first year I had her she was barking and acting up in the house, and I spoke "Cheyenne, go get in your bed" - as a joke and never said it before. She left the room, walked to the back of house and got in her dog bed. That smart - so if your dog is acting agressive if might need to run hard like mine did. We lived out in the country so we were able to run her by our car safely - would not recommend it on a regular street. She is old now and does not run like that - still smart and has been a great dog -

Have fun with this dog - if you can't keep up with their energy you might get a second dog for this one to play hard with - not a poodle - not a big dog - but at least a medium size healthly playmate -

Old 12-01-2011, 12:07 PM

6 posts, read 40,327 times
I am so sorry - I didn't know this was an old post - and that this dog went to dog heaven. So sorry -

Old 06-08-2015, 08:22 PM

2 posts, read 1,539 times
Default Looks just like my rescue pup!

I have a new little guy that looks just like yours, I've had him six weeks, he looks like an Aussie but acts like border collie, not sure but I just love him! Runs everyday with me, starting basic training next Monday. Super smart, glad you saved him! Mine has a black tongue as well, I know border collies do not have black tongues, but black Aussies are known for it. So most likely Aussie or Aussie cross! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs