U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-08-2008, 03:37 PM
 
4,541 posts, read 13,073,168 times
Reputation: 2285

Advertisements

I'm mad at my puppy right now, too.
I just brought him for a ride and while I was in Walgreens, he tore off the driver's side sun visor and ripped the armrest on the door...

He knows I'm mad at him right now, too. I just hope he understands WHY!

Last edited by World Citizen; 09-08-2008 at 04:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-08-2008, 03:40 PM
 
Location: Chicago suburb
702 posts, read 2,239,597 times
Reputation: 249
I have to say that sometimes my dog's behavior upsets me, especially when she does something and she knows better. If she isn't the center of attention she sometimes trys to get negative attention by getting something of ours and holding it hostage under the dining room table. Then if you don't try to get it from her and start a game of chase she will start to shred the item if she is really feeling ignored. That annoys me. Another time she peed on our new wool rug just a week after we got it. She had been let out and is potty trained so I was pretty upset. I asked her "did you do that?" and she knows she is in trouble. That's about as far as it goes. What am I going to do? Beat her up? Never. Besides many times if I had taken some time to dog proof the house (nothing crazy, just regular precautions) she wouldn't have been able to get something to shred, or peed on the rug.

It does sound like you either had a really bad day or you have kind of a short fuse. I hope you never take anything out on the dogs, even if they do something like chew CDs. To them they probably thought they won the jack pot and got new toys. They didn't know it was something for you or something they shouldn't have chewed. I would be worried that they got something into their system they shouldn't have, such as plastic or something. I would check their mouths for cuts. Please don't ever rage on your dogs or anyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2008, 03:44 PM
 
Location: "The Sunshine State"
4,334 posts, read 12,181,717 times
Reputation: 3010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
I'm having the day from hell. On my way home round about noon I was pulled over by the police who said I had no brake lights. I told the officer I was just a few blocks from my home and that I had no idea that my lights were out (both lights were out) and I would NEVER DRIVE with no brake lights and told him I would drive it home and get the brake lights fixed right outside my home. He said boo hoo, I said how was I to know. He said I ought to check my lights before I get into the car. I said b***s**t who checks their break lights before they get into a car. He said I do. That's when I wanted to slap the pathetic SOB. Actually I wanted to do worse but that would get me arrested and a whole lotta time in the clinger.

I didn't mention that before I left home round about 10:15 am I couldn't find my house keys but because I HAD to leave, I left with my front door closed but not locked. I picked up a spare key from my sister at her office and then headed for home (just 15 mins from whre I live) ...that's when I got stopped just a few blocks away from home.

Entered house just to find that a DVD I had ordered on Line had been delivered and my dogs had torn the package open, opened the case and had started chewing on one of the DVD's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (there were two DVDs...4 different movies, even though I only ordered one. Luckily the one I wanted is ok, but I am still really mad at them

Anyone else have days when you don't like your dogs.

Sorry for spelling mistakes, no time to check gonna have dinner and a stif drink. (I'm in London so there is a time difference).
Like I would tell my X, if you leave a steak too close to the edge of the counter, one of the dogs is sure to grab it! And they have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2008, 03:49 PM
 
Location: "The Sunshine State"
4,334 posts, read 12,181,717 times
Reputation: 3010
Heck, when I first got my Chyna girl I left her alone for the first time for about 2 hours and when I came back she chewed huge holes in my $2800.00 Italian leather couch and loveseat! I was mad at myself for not putting her in the crate! Now some people (idiots) would have taken their dog to the pound for that! You can never blame a dog for its bad behavior....it always leads you to the owner!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2008, 03:55 PM
 
113 posts, read 522,219 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
Heck, when I first got my Chyna girl I left her alone for the first time for about 2 hours and when I came back she chewed huge holes in my $2800.00 Italian leather couch and loveseat! I was mad at myself for not putting her in the crate! Now some people (idiots) would have taken their dog to the pound for that! You can never blame a dog for its bad behavior....it always leads you to the owner!
This is so true. Dogs learn what they're taught over time, and most are very willing to please their owners, but if they haven't been trained correctly, they don't look over at your fancy leather couch and think "that's $3000, so I should leave it alone" -- they think "ooh, this is way better than rawhide!" People give up on their dogs so easily, instead of taking the time to turn them away from these behaviors.

Chloe isn't a chewer, but when we first moved to our new place, she went through a spell of having accidents all over the carpet, even though she's housetrained. It WAS massively frustrating, don't get me wrong, but we worked with her and figured out a solution that worked for everyone. Now we're one month accident free and everyone's happy again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2008, 04:24 PM
 
Location: "The Sunshine State"
4,334 posts, read 12,181,717 times
Reputation: 3010
Quote:
Originally Posted by heather21365 View Post
This is so true. Dogs learn what they're taught over time, and most are very willing to please their owners, but if they haven't been trained correctly, they don't look over at your fancy leather couch and think "that's $3000, so I should leave it alone" -- they think "ooh, this is way better than rawhide!" People give up on their dogs so easily, instead of taking the time to turn them away from these behaviors.

Chloe isn't a chewer, but when we first moved to our new place, she went through a spell of having accidents all over the carpet, even though she's housetrained. It WAS massively frustrating, don't get me wrong, but we worked with her and figured out a solution that worked for everyone. Now we're one month accident free and everyone's happy again.
One of mine is doing that right now but I have no carpet..she keeps going on the wood floor in the sunroom. She is in and out all day but she will still squat there once in a while. I think once they go in a spot they always go back. Am gonna rip up the wood floors in that room and get a top of the line Congoleum or Armstrong linoleum that looks like the black and white tile! They say that is the best flooring for pets.
As far as Chyna chewing the leather furniture, I guess she thought they were just huge stuffies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2008, 04:33 PM
 
Location: "The Sunshine State"
4,334 posts, read 12,181,717 times
Reputation: 3010
I have to admit, when I let my Jenny out in the yard for the first time, I turned around to look for her, only to find her sitting in the middle of my two foot deep fish pond. I was mad at first for about 5 seconds, but then I laughed it off! Heck she is a Lab/Mix! I went out the next day and bought her a pool!
ps: In the end I think I was more worried than mad because there were plastic tubes in there connected to a fountain in the middle, I was worried maybe she got caught in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2008, 04:46 PM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,847 posts, read 30,209,048 times
Reputation: 22331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
I'm having the day from hell. On my way home round about noon I was pulled over by the police who said I had no brake lights. I told the officer I was just a few blocks from my home and that I had no idea that my lights were out (both lights were out) and I would NEVER DRIVE with no brake lights and told him I would drive it home and get the brake lights fixed right outside my home. He said boo hoo, I said how was I to know. He said I ought to check my lights before I get into the car. I said b***s**t who checks their break lights before they get into a car. He said I do. That's when I wanted to slap the pathetic SOB. Actually I wanted to do worse but that would get me arrested and a whole lotta time in the clinger.

I didn't mention that before I left home round about 10:15 am I couldn't find my house keys but because I HAD to leave, I left with my front door closed but not locked. I picked up a spare key from my sister at her office and then headed for home (just 15 mins from whre I live) ...that's when I got stopped just a few blocks away from home.

Entered house just to find that a DVD I had ordered on Line had been delivered and my dogs had torn the package open, opened the case and had started chewing on one of the DVD's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (there were two DVDs...4 different movies, even though I only ordered one. Luckily the one I wanted is ok, but I am still really mad at them

Anyone else have days when you don't like your dogs.

Sorry for spelling mistakes, no time to check gonna have dinner and a stif drink. (I'm in London so there is a time difference).
Your tail light issues sound like a fuse to me. The odds of both tail lights going out at the same time is probably a zillion to one - unless it is a fuse or other electrical problem.

Oh, and I don't have dogs. I am not a dog person.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2008, 05:07 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood, DE and beautiful SXM!
12,054 posts, read 20,164,491 times
Reputation: 31756
I don't get angry at my dog. It sounds like you have had a very bad day, but I have found that being organized as in preparing the evening before, keeps me from starting out badly. No matter how bad my day may be, I am always thrilled to see the one "person" who is unconditionally happy to see me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2008, 07:00 PM
 
Location: in purgurtory in London
3,721 posts, read 3,466,088 times
Reputation: 1292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Sounds like to me YOU are having a bad Day & are Taking it out on the DOGS. Much like husbands that come home & beat on their wives. YOU need Help! And your dogs need new homes where they wont be targets!
Wow, if my post triggered dark memories in YOUR life, it wasn't my intention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top