U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 07:13 PM

3,721 posts, read 3,492,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidreemer View Post
I have to say that sometimes my dog's behavior upsets me, especially when she does something and she knows better. If she isn't the center of attention she sometimes trys to get negative attention by getting something of ours and holding it hostage under the dining room table. Then if you don't try to get it from her and start a game of chase she will start to shred the item if she is really feeling ignored. That annoys me. Another time she peed on our new wool rug just a week after we got it. She had been let out and is potty trained so I was pretty upset. I asked her "did you do that?" and she knows she is in trouble. That's about as far as it goes. What am I going to do? Beat her up? Never. Besides many times if I had taken some time to dog proof the house (nothing crazy, just regular precautions) she wouldn't have been able to get something to shred, or peed on the rug.

It does sound like you either had a really bad day or you have kind of a short fuse. I hope you never take anything out on the dogs, even if they do something like chew CDs. To them they probably thought they won the jack pot and got new toys. They didn't know it was something for you or something they shouldn't have chewed. I would be worried that they got something into their system they shouldn't have, such as plastic or something. I would check their mouths for cuts. Please don't ever rage on your dogs or anyone else.
One thing I can always count on this site, are the hand wringers and sanctimonious so and so's who think they know you from one post. Where in my post do I indicate rage or hurting them?

As for their punishment they are going without food for 3 days.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post
sorry your having a bad day!
I was very frustrated w/ our guy when we first got him. I disliked him very much and anyone would BUUTTTT nooowwwwwwwww
I'm such a sucker for him now that when he does something bad I love him more ...he trained me
I hear you. I absolutley adore my dogs, I have 5, 3 are rescues and they are all trained. I have a great behaviourist that I have used in the past and still consult, in fact she's going to be contributing to my new pet site I'm launching soon. What is so unusual about today is that even when they are at their worst and do something they shouldn't, they melt my heart within minutes, which never ceases to amaze me, because there is no human including those I love dearly who have that effect on me. Today I stayed mad at them for a while.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
I'm mad at my puppy right now, too.
I just brought him for a ride and while I was in Walgreens, he tore off the driver's side sun visor and ripped the armrest on the door...

He knows I'm mad at him right now, too. I just hope he understands WHY!
LOL, they know when you are mad. I didn't even mention one other thing that happened, so all in all it was a pretty awful day, but it ended well. My issues of yesterday are going to take centre stage in the morning and I have lots of fires to put.

The thing is my dogs aren't destructive. They never chew on furniture although the younger pups (1 year old) love shoes especially flip flops, so I tend not to leave them lying around where they can get to them. What happened was so uncharacteristic of them...they never touch my mail. I have a home office and I also have a gal that comes daily to help me walk them as I can't walk all five. I pile them into the back of the SUV and we got to a wooded area close by with a lake and allow them let off steam for up to two hours - except for today.

I ended my day by watching the DVD that was spared and falling asleep on the sofa with 3 of them and 2 elsewhere in my living room.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:59 PM
bjh

30,799 posts, read 23,795,539 times
Maybe they're just film critics, and they saved you from wasting 128 minutes of your life on celluloid junk.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:01 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,276,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
What is so unusual about today is that even when they are at their worst and do something they shouldn't, they melt my heart within minutes, which never ceases to amaze me, because there is no human including those I love dearly who have that effect on me.
How can your heart not melt? Lately, when I call to my dog he turns around looks at me, runs up to me, and then takes off in the other direction! I know he's playing, and I can't help laughing, so he does it even more. I'm sure he thinks he's hilarious, but it can get frustrating if I'm serious about calling him!

He owns me, and we both know it!

Old 09-08-2008, 08:12 PM

22,894 posts, read 16,278,817 times
Well, sure. I mean, I am only human aren't I

Sorry to hear about your bad day.

(I never check my brake lights either, fortunately for me, my car will tell me when they go out.)

Old 09-08-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Maybe they're just film critics, and they saved you from wasting 128 minutes of your life on celluloid junk.
Hey you have a point there. I ordered Hurly Burly (with Sean Penn and Kevin Spacey) but for some reason it came with 3 other movies on two DVD's...I don't think I missed out on the one that had teeth marks, but Hurly Burly was ok and in the next few days I'm going to watch the movie on the other side.

Talking about pets expressing themselves, when I was still doing the condo living and ripping and roaring way too much to be considered a responsible guardian to dogs, I had cats who we all know are more independent. Bless their hearts, but they helped me get rid of a house guest who had overstayed her welcome by peeing on one of her expensive designer bags. A few days before they had pooed on it and she didn't get the hint, but the peeing did it. You should have heard the obsenities she yelled at them (all in French as she spoke little English). The look on their faces was "whatever, don't let the door hit ya "

Old 09-08-2008, 08:32 PM

5,975 posts, read 17,595,570 times
I got upset with my dog just recently. We were on the stair landing with my daughter and my son and we were petting him and rubbing his stomach. Out of the blue, he snapped at my son's face, barely missing his nose! It took everything out of me to not whack him right there! I mustered a stern "No!" and had the kids put him in the crate. For the longest time, we had deliberated on what made him do that since we never touched any part of him that would have made him lash out at my son's face. For two days, I was very upset. He was a stray and I brought him home, saved him from sure death either at the high kill shelter of the town I found him in, or just be one of the many road kills in that town. And here he was close to drawing my son's blood. For those two days, I ignored him, not once petted him. I think he knew. For a while, he stayed away and couldn't look me in the eyes, and he always approached me with head and tail down. He seemed really sad, but I was really angry and felt betrayed. He tried to be on my good side after that, sitting where he could see me but not coming close, as if apologizing. After two days, I petted him again and forgave him. However, I don't think I'll ever let my guard down like that again. As gentle as goldens are, because I will never know how he was treated at his former home, I'll think twice about having someone's face near his again.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
How can your heart not melt? Lately, when I call to my dog he turns around looks at me, runs up to me, and then takes off in the other direction! I know he's playing, and I can't help laughing, so he does it even more. I'm sure he thinks he's hilarious, but it can get frustrating if I'm serious about calling him!

He owns me, and we both know it!
I hear you. Mine are good at coming when I call except if there is a squirell or cat in the back yard... they have zero recall then.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:47 PM
bjh

30,799 posts, read 23,795,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
I got upset with my dog just recently. We were on the stair landing with my daughter and my son and we were petting him and rubbing his stomach. Out of the blue, he snapped at my son's face, barely missing his nose! It took everything out of me to not whack him right there! I mustered a stern "No!" and had the kids put him in the crate. For the longest time, we had deliberated on what made him do that since we never touched any part of him that would have made him lash out at my son's face. For two days, I was very upset. He was a stray and I brought him home, saved him from sure death either at the high kill shelter of the town I found him in, or just be one of the many road kills in that town. And here he was close to drawing my son's blood. For those two days, I ignored him, not once petted him. I think he knew. For a while, he stayed away and couldn't look me in the eyes, and he always approached me with head and tail down. He seemed really sad, but I was really angry and felt betrayed. He tried to be on my good side after that, sitting where he could see me but not coming close, as if apologizing. After two days, I petted him again and forgave him. However, I don't think I'll ever let my guard down like that again. As gentle as goldens are, because I will never know how he was treated at his former home, I'll think twice about having someone's face near his again.
I understand how you feel so you probably won't want to hear this idea. Just that it makes me think either he was feeling too crowded and therefore threatened. Laying on his back belly exposed is a submission posture for a dog and a stair landing is a very tight area. Or maybe he was foolishly trying to be playful. Or something else.... Anyway I'm glad he got your message of disapproval and hopefully won't try anymore funny business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or