U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 09:31 AM

5,975 posts, read 17,601,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PudelPie View Post
I was JUST reading an article by Patricia McConnel in the last issue of The Bark magazine in which she deals with unexpected behavior often leading to a symptom of a health problem. Please check this out before mistrusting your dog...
Pudel - like what type of health problem might he have? He's been given a clean bill of health by the vet on his check-up. We were so happy to learn that his joints are okay (for being a stray) and that hip dysplasia is not a concern, so now you have me worried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 09:38 AM

265 posts, read 1,155,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
We are all made up differently and although I just usually sigh on occassions when they do something naughty, there are times I'll get upset with them. I wouldn't be human if I didn't
I hear you...sometimes I humor myself writing personal ads for my dogs, laughing about Morgan being an intellectual because she "devours" books--but there have been times when I've come home and lost my temper when finding my books (selected from the bookshelf, mind you), cover-less and in tatters on the floor. Worst I've done is yell and banish her from the house (out to the fenced yard, mind you, where she's momentarily joined by the other dogs). But even after yelling, I know that this is my fault--that she's trying clearly to tell me something. And I love them all dearly...but of course I get angry sometimes or frustrated...mostly they're the antidote for that though

Old 09-09-2008, 09:41 AM

265 posts, read 1,155,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Pudel - like what type of health problem might he have? He's been given a clean bill of health by the vet on his check-up. We were so happy to learn that his joints are okay (for being a stray) and that hip dysplasia is not a concern, so now you have me worried.
He might have something going on in an area that your son touched...one thing I missed, how long have you had him? If he's recent to your household then maybe it is behavioral and he needs to learn clear boundaries--but if you've had him a while and he's not done this before, I'd research. Massage his whole body and see if any areas are tender or elicit that kind of response. Good luck!!

Old 09-09-2008, 09:50 AM

3,721 posts, read 3,495,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
I got upset with my dog just recently. We were on the stair landing with my daughter and my son and we were petting him and rubbing his stomach. Out of the blue, he snapped at my son's face, barely missing his nose! It took everything out of me to not whack him right there! I mustered a stern "No!" and had the kids put him in the crate. For the longest time, we had deliberated on what made him do that since we never touched any part of him that would have made him lash out at my son's face. For two days, I was very upset. He was a stray and I brought him home, saved him from sure death either at the high kill shelter of the town I found him in, or just be one of the many road kills in that town. And here he was close to drawing my son's blood. For those two days, I ignored him, not once petted him. I think he knew. For a while, he stayed away and couldn't look me in the eyes, and he always approached me with head and tail down. He seemed really sad, but I was really angry and felt betrayed. He tried to be on my good side after that, sitting where he could see me but not coming close, as if apologizing. After two days, I petted him again and forgave him. However, I don't think I'll ever let my guard down like that again. As gentle as goldens are, because I will never know how he was treated at his former home, I'll think twice about having someone's face near his again.
How did I miss your post last night? Something similar happend to me years ago. My darling little Boston Terrier I'd had from a pup tore off a bit of my lip. I'd stayed up late with some friends and after they left I went upstairs and found him on my bed. I bent down to kiss his face when snap he went for me and got a corner of my lip. Didn't realise I was bleeding for a while and was trying to coax him out from under the bed where he hid. A few minutes later I got in the car and drove myself to a hospital less than 10 minutes away and when I got home he was still under the bed, but came to me eventually and cuddled. To this day I don't know what set him off. Maybe he didn't like the vodka on my breath.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PudelPie View Post
He might have something going on in an area that your son touched...one thing I missed, how long have you had him? If he's recent to your household then maybe it is behavioral and he needs to learn clear boundaries--but if you've had him a while and he's not done this before, I'd research. Massage his whole body and see if any areas are tender or elicit that kind of response. Good luck!!
We don't miss a zit on this doggie, I tell ya, so I'm thinking it might be behavioral. Reason why I took him to the groomers is because hubby does not want his feet splaying, and was even concerned that the hair under his pads might affect his bones! Even if we never go out to where he might get ticks or such, I regularly inspect his coat for any signs of skin irritation or fleas or ticks. This is the one time I wish dogs could talk. I've never had an adult dog...always started out as puppies with me so I've always known how they tick. I'm puzzled by some of his actions and attribute that to his old owner, whoever he or she is who deliberately took off a collar and let him loose to fend for himself. Makes me wonder what kind of beating or abuse he took then.

On a lighter note, this one doesn't like cigarette smoke. My husband smokes so when he is around him, the dog sits there and makes a "face"! He lifts his lip on one side and bares his teeth, to show obvious displeasure at the smoke, but he hangs around on his feet anyway! Go figure. We think maybe his old owner smoked and he associates this with something unpleasant. Such a poster child for anti-smoking!

Old 09-09-2008, 11:30 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,196,798 times
I am a day late here but I will say when Jazz was a puppy I was mad at her alot ( oK I will be 100% honest there were days I did not even like her!) as she was 100% beast and had a million issues alot of them fear based. Adorable but a beast and when you told her "NO" she would come flying at you making grumbly sounds like an angry bumble bee and nip you. Things like a shake can with penies in it only pissed her off even more if you shook it at her as did most advice I got from dog trainers! I work nights (3-12 hrs shifts a week) in a VERY stressful job and found myself not wanting to come home to deal with the too smart beast!( yipes I would rather stay at work!!! that shows you how much of a beast she was).

I never once thought of giving her up but rather she and I worked hard together and got help from Dr. Melese ( Vet with a PHD in Behavior) which meant a few trips to Del Mar about 4 hrs one way as 12 yrs ago people that studied behavior where not easy to find. End result is she is my once in a life time dog . Out of any dogs I have ever owned she is my favorite, she was a diamond in the rough when I got her. She was worth all the hard work I put into her and I can not imagine life without her.

I do get mad at things they do as Dash took a graduation photo of my best friends daughter off the table while I was at work and nibbled and looks like he sucked on it too in his dog bed, ruined the photo. I think he must have had dreams of her. She is a very pretty girl and he loves her and her sister alot but then again I do not think I have told him she is at UCD and plans to be a vet. ( has said this since she was 4). It was a bad night at work so yea I was mad to find the ruined photo in his bed but no he did not get punished as he would not have known what it was for, but he did know I was upset . A simple " Dash" and the tone in my voice. It is usually Dash as he is my thief, stole a whole cake off the counter at my parents home one Thanksgiving while everyone went outside for a few minutes. I usually ignore him when I am mad at him and that masks him beg for attention as he knows I am mad at him.

I do not hit them or yell at them but will change the tone of my voice and they know. I find it hard to believe that so many people have claimed they have NEVER been mad at their dogs as I did not know there were any perfect dogs out there or perfect people that do not experience anger especially when all ready stressed by events of the day. Since when I am out with the dogs I frequently see people yelling at their dogs I guess it must be a California thing since others do not get annoyed or angry with their dogs? Must be all of our sunshine ?

I think the anger you felt was probably more normal then people here seem willing to admit and No I do not check my tail lights on a regular basis as how do you do that when you are alone?Who is stepping on the brake pedal while you stand behind the car to see? You just had one of those when it rains it pours kind of days we have all had. You are Human that is all.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:48 AM

4,584 posts, read 5,023,662 times
and No I do not check my tail lights on a regular basis as how do you do that when you are alone?Who is stepping on the brake pedal while you stand behind the car to see?

Dashdog - I asked the same question. BrianH said that when he pulls his car in the garage he steps on the brakes and can see the reflextion off of the doors. Man is he smart or what!!

Old 09-09-2008, 11:50 AM

3,031 posts, read 8,049,386 times
OP: I call the kind of day you're having an "angry monkey day". It's the kind of day when you want to hoot and scream and bang on things like a monkey, and throw poo at everyone.

But as far as the dogs go, the dogs will always love you even if you're having an angry monkey day. What's a DVD or two in the light of that affection?

Old 09-09-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
I
I do not hit them or yell at them but will change the tone of my voice and they know. I find it hard to believe that so many people have claimed they have NEVER been mad at their dogs as I did not know there were any perfect dogs out there or perfect people that do not experience anger especially when all ready stressed by events of the day. Since when I am out with the dogs I frequently see people yelling at their dogs I guess it must be a California thing since others do not get annoyed or angry with their dogs? Must be all of our sunshine ?

Must be! Look at all your cows! :-)

I think the anger you felt was probably more normal then people here seem willing to admit and No I do not check my tail lights on a regular basis as how do you do that when you are alone?Who is stepping on the brake pedal while you stand behind the car to see? You just had one of those when it rains it pours kind of days we have all had. You are Human that is all.
Your last paragraph sums the theme of this thread so well!

Old 09-09-2008, 01:10 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,196,798 times
I have to add that I think alot of anger is from frustration over things that happen. When I say I use tone of voice especially when I come home from work stressed to find my thief has taken something and I say " Dash" It is Like Laura ( Mary Tyler Moore) On the old Dick Van Dyke show saing " Oh Roooobbbbb" like she did so many times when she was frustrated with him . I guess you can only understand that if you are old enough to remember the show!

Bibit, yea look at our cows! Too bad I think most dairy cows in the state have not seen a green pasture in years. I do agree with you.

Jessiegee, I only have a car port so have no garage doors to check a reflection
on.

SuSuSushi, I like the term angry monkey day. As for the DVD's yes it is no big deal but I do think most people are going to first feel some anger when they see something like that then a few minutes later they think about it and it is no big deal.

I do not stay angry long even at people that really **** me off, despite my first thought of Well I never will even talk to them again within minutes I usually am over it and talking to them. I do not hold grudges as I say I think anger is often just a quick first response to things we do not like. Heck I can't even be angry about Dash's cancer. When I first heard the words yes I was angry but while I do not like the fact he has cancer it is just one of those things that happens and being angry does not help so instead I look for the good that comes out of it just as I did with my mom's cancer and death.

I just can not believe that people claim they do not get angry as I think they do even if it is for a fleeting moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or