Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 04:43 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times

Advertisements

Sure. My deaf Dane Nilla Wafer is neurotic in some ways, mostly because of a dog attack she suffered at the paws of another big dog when she was much younger. She lunges at other dogs now, although she gets along great with other dogs after a slow introduction. However, it makes her very difficult to control on walks. Not only that, the fact that she's deaf complicates matters because she doesn't respond to verbal commands and when we're walking, she can't see my hand signals. I use a prong collar which helps, but I use a stick and tap her on her butt when she's being rowdy and obnoxious. That gets her attention and she behaves once more. But she's a lover, and one look with the big blue eyes and I'm hooked once again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 06:47 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
I can honestly say I've never not liked my dogs.

I've been resigned and disappointed at something they've done, but like my children, they just do what they do and there's no malicious intent behind it, so I cannot get angry.

I reserve my anger for people who know better. Basically...adult humans. They give me plenty to be angry about.
Attached Thumbnails
You ever get mad at your dogs or just don't like them?-20161027_093520.jpg  

Old 10-30-2016, 09:35 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,382,290 times
No, I've never disliked any of my pets. Been upset with them at times? Oh yeah. But never dislike...even way back when I was in my early 20s (in the days before computers and the internet, gasp!) and I'd purchased three rabbits from a breeder on the west coast with the intent of adding them to my breeding line. Had them shipped to my place, only to find that all three were extremely vicious (think, "Monty Python and the Holy Grail"). At first I attributed it to trauma from having been shipped across the country, but as the weeks passed and not one of them ever settled down, and each one of them had an innate desire to rip off any available appendage on my hand, whenever I was attempting to feed them, it finally occurred to me that these bunnies were...rabid rabbits. (Okay, not literally rabid, but you get the drift.)

Was I ever angry at them, or disliked them? No, not at all. Their collective mental states were, so far as I could determine, a product of bad breeding and improper conditioning/housing. What I felt for all three of them was compassion, not anger. It wasn't the rabbits' fault that they were this way; all I could do was keep them safe (and myself, from them), give them a life away from harm, and not breed any of them, ever.

My dog that I have right now can sometimes be challenging as well, because he is fearful: fearful of children, of other dogs, loud noises... and he also has food guarding issues (another byproduct of being fearful). So I am always on the alert when I take him outdoors, just to make sure no one approaches with young children, no one lets their dogs run up to him. It can sometimes make outdoor playtime a challenge, but again...not his fault. I've never been angry or upset with him over any of it; instead I constantly work with him to try and alleviate some of the fears (been somewhat, to very, successful in some areas) and I make it my goal to keep him happy and healthy.

I just can't ever feel that I don't like any of my pets. There have been challenges with some, barriers with others, and - as with any pet - times when something they've done can leave one frustrated. (Izzy, as an example, managed to eat part of my sofa, the door jamb, and a portion of one wall when he was a pup. Frustrating, yes...but any damage that he did was a product of his youth combined with my not watching him closely enough. btw, he did finally outgrow his household redecoration stage.) At any rate, my love for my pets has always superseded any frustrations or challenges that they've presented. And it's always been worth it, regardless.

Old 11-02-2016, 01:40 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,571,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
I am a day late here but I will say when Jazz was a puppy I was mad at her alot ( oK I will be 100% honest there were days I did not even like her!) as she was 100% beast and had a million issues alot of them fear based. Adorable but a beast and when you told her "NO" she would come flying at you making grumbly sounds like an angry bumble bee and nip you. Things like a shake can with penies in it only pissed her off even more if you shook it at her as did most advice I got from dog trainers! I work nights (3-12 hrs shifts a week) in a VERY stressful job and found myself not wanting to come home to deal with the too smart beast!( yipes I would rather stay at work!!! that shows you how much of a beast she was).

I never once thought of giving her up but rather she and I worked hard together and got help from Dr. Melese ( Vet with a PHD in Behavior) which meant a few trips to Del Mar about 4 hrs one way as 12 yrs ago people that studied behavior where not easy to find. End result is she is my once in a life time dog . Out of any dogs I have ever owned she is my favorite, she was a diamond in the rough when I got her. She was worth all the hard work I put into her and I can not imagine life without her.

I do get mad at things they do as Dash took a graduation photo of my best friends daughter off the table while I was at work and nibbled and looks like he sucked on it too in his dog bed, ruined the photo. I think he must have had dreams of her. She is a very pretty girl and he loves her and her sister alot but then again I do not think I have told him she is at UCD and plans to be a vet. ( has said this since she was 4). It was a bad night at work so yea I was mad to find the ruined photo in his bed but no he did not get punished as he would not have known what it was for, but he did know I was upset . A simple " Dash" and the tone in my voice. It is usually Dash as he is my thief, stole a whole cake off the counter at my parents home one Thanksgiving while everyone went outside for a few minutes. I usually ignore him when I am mad at him and that masks him beg for attention as he knows I am mad at him.

I do not hit them or yell at them but will change the tone of my voice and they know. I find it hard to believe that so many people have claimed they have NEVER been mad at their dogs as I did not know there were any perfect dogs out there or perfect people that do not experience anger especially when all ready stressed by events of the day. Since when I am out with the dogs I frequently see people yelling at their dogs I guess it must be a California thing since others do not get annoyed or angry with their dogs? Must be all of our sunshine ?

I think the anger you felt was probably more normal then people here seem willing to admit and No I do not check my tail lights on a regular basis as how do you do that when you are alone?Who is stepping on the brake pedal while you stand behind the car to see? You just had one of those when it rains it pours kind of days we have all had. You are Human that is all.
Ahh, Del Mar!! Dog Beach!! Happy memories.

And man this thread is OLD!

Old 07-07-2017, 12:16 AM

2 posts, read 1,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
One thing I can always count on this site, are the hand wringers and sanctimonious so and so's who think they know you from one post. Where in my post do I indicate rage or hurting them?

As for their punishment they are going without food for 3 days.

That's not even close to being funny

Old 07-07-2017, 12:21 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Mad at? Sort of. GET OFF ME in bed. It's HOT, I don't need more body heat. And she's heavy! Even then I only get 'mad' if I'm feeling very unwell and having a hard time physically being patient in re-arranging her. Not like? Never.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:23 AM

2 posts, read 1,061 times
Quote:
I've decided not to pay the fine and I'm going to contest it. If they want to throw me in jail for a few days even weeks I'll do it. If I had been driving my 4x4 it would warn me, but I was driving something else...an older model car. I've already taken on the Planning dept for borough (county) I live in. One more fight won't hurt me.
Really I would just pay it and get it over with

Old 07-07-2017, 12:25 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
I'm having the day from hell. On my way home round about noon I was pulled over by the police who said I had no brake lights. I told the officer I was just a few blocks from my home and that I had no idea that my lights were out (both lights were out) and I would NEVER DRIVE with no brake lights and told him I would drive it home and get the brake lights fixed right outside my home. He said boo hoo, I said how was I to know. He said I ought to check my lights before I get into the car. I said b***s**t who checks their break lights before they get into a car. He said I do. That's when I wanted to slap the pathetic SOB. Actually I wanted to do worse but that would get me arrested and a whole lotta time in the clinger.

I didn't mention that before I left home round about 10:15 am I couldn't find my house keys but because I HAD to leave, I left with my front door closed but not locked. I picked up a spare key from my sister at her office and then headed for home (just 15 mins from whre I live) ...that's when I got stopped just a few blocks away from home.

Entered house just to find that a DVD I had ordered on Line had been delivered and my dogs had torn the package open, opened the case and had started chewing on one of the DVD's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (there were two DVDs...4 different movies, even though I only ordered one. Luckily the one I wanted is ok, but I am still really mad at them

Anyone else have days when you don't like your dogs.

Sorry for spelling mistakes, no time to check gonna have dinner and a stif drink. (I'm in London so there is a time difference).
If we get it into our minds that nothing they get into is their fault, it's ours for leaving it out, we can get in a mind place to never get mad at such.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:37 AM

4,713 posts, read 3,471,998 times
I get irritated when I trip over them. They NEVER leave me alone unless they are asleep. They are small and constantly underfoot and I am scared I will fall. Otherwise, they make me happy. They make me laugh. I love them.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:34 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,760,161 times
OP is from 2008.

Since the thread has been bumped - the maddest I think I've ever been is when one of mine went outside ate poop and then came back inside and threw it up. Even more disgusting than regular vomit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs