Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 11:49 AM

4 posts, read 6,585 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I was serching for some information and find this site, Im hoping someone could offer some advice that may be helpful.
I have 2 English Bulldog (females) and until recently, with the last 6 weeks we have seen a drastically changed level of aggresion. We realy never had a problem with them aside from the occasional struggle over a toy which happend very seldomly. A little background info, Lulu is the older she is almost 5 and Sophie is the almost 3. Sophie has become very aggresive towards Lulu for no apprent reason there is no toy or treat or food involved. It is becoming a daily occurence in last few weeks. she is slighty larger by about 3 inches in height and about 5-8 pds in weight. I have also noticed when she challenges Lulu at her food bowl Lulu gives up and walks away when before she wouldnt even go near Lulu while she was eating. Im concerned that she will severly injure Lulu if I dont find a reason for it. I have a few suspicions such as Lulu is older and not fairing well, loosing her hearing due to chronic ear infections which she is under the care of a vet for, I also think she is possible loosing some vision, her general age and health lead me to think that this is a play for dominance between the to of them and Sophie is trying to knock her out of her hierarchy. The fight they had on sunday night was realy bad Sophie crossed the living room and just attacked her with no provication, we seperated them put them both on their backs till they calmed and normal breathing was restored,then put them in their kennels. While in her kennel I went to check on them and Lulu was having what I only describe as a seizure, she was drooling excessively and had fallen over couldnt get up on her own or stand. It lasted a bout 45 seconds to a minute, this was extrememly frightening. I am realy trying to gather as much information as I can. They both have vet appointments on the coming Monday, I am going to insist that blood panels on both of them be run to check all levels especially thryoid levels, however Im just looking for more infor on something I havent already thought of.
Any help is greatly appriciated! (sorry for the novel)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 11:54 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,925 times
You are definitely on the right track. Sophie is most likely taking advantage of Lulu's weakness right now and establishing herself as the alpha. A trip to the vet is clearly in order for both girls!

Until then - actually until this is under control - they don't need to be left unsupervised or even partially supervised. I would only allow one out of the crate at a time and would consider feeding them in their crates to ensure that Lulu gets to eat all of her food undisturbed.

You'll get lots more good advice here. Please keep us posted and good luck.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:15 PM

4 posts, read 6,585 times
We have started feeding them extremely seperatley, where as before they would be fed at the same time just oposite sides of the kitchen (aprox. 12 feet apart), hoewever that changed when I saw Sophie push Lulu away from her food bowl and Lulu just fell over and wouldnt get back up. I now feed Sophie in her kennel and Lulu in the kitchen. I also let Lulu in/out first and treats first as well as when we are leaving to go on a walk she gets her leash on first and out of her kennel fist as well. This is the same as it has been since we got Sophie, my children know as well Lulu first then Sophie to keep the postions between them solid. We also do not allow either of them "human priviledges" they arent allowed on any furniture or given any table food, big rule in the house is " if theres four its on the floor" . Not to say they dont have it well, but these are rules I put in place to keep any problems if there should ever be any at a miniumum. We did just move into a new houes on june 1st, as well now they have a backyard with lots of room to move around, I noticed also that very quickly Sophie became the one who protects and prowls the permitter, and Lulu lounges on the patio, intially my thinking was shes more curious and Lulu doesnt realy care. My thinking on that has changed, I feel like Im over anyalyzing everything or reading to much into things sometimes, I have also noticed a few other things (which is where my confusion lies) Sophie still does submissive things with Lulu such as cleaning her ears or the inside of her mouth, and in general grooming Lulu. I have never seen Lulu do any of those things. Also when Lulu comes in the room Sophie will still lay down belly up while Lulu stands over her or next to her. I feel mass confusion when things go well or "normal" for awhile then change for nothign so drastically. The fight this weekend brought me to tears, as I tried to figure out what I had not done or over done with them lately. They both still get daily excersive, havent changed food, or schedule. However they are now put into their night time crates when we leave the house until this problem is resolved, I dont want anyone (least of all my children) coming home to finding a problem.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:31 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
I'm no Cesar Milan, but it sounds like the dogs are running the house. Dogs who know who's boss (namely you) don't have power struggles. You'll still get food possessiveness and some snarling here and there, but they don't feel the need to enforce a pecking order and fights are easily dissipated.

That said, I know from experience that bulldogs are about as stubborn as a wooden mule's @ss. Good luck.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:53 PM

702 posts, read 2,523,508 times
It sounds like you are doing a really good job trying to keep them safe while trying to figure out what is going on. I have a bully breed and I have heard that same sex pairs can be difficult, and looking at the age of your younger dog, she may be trying to assert herself. I don't envy you having to break those two apart. I would suggest contacting a behaviorist with bulldog experience for some help. Good luck!

Old 09-09-2008, 04:44 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,551,923 times
Female on female agression can be brutal - much more so than male on male, females often fight to the end so I think you are on the right track with everything you doing but imagine changing age, changing territory, and changing roles are all playing in.

I would never leave them alone unsupervised or around kids or other folks who may inadvertently wind up "in the middle" of a dogfight.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:16 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I'm no Cesar Milan, but it sounds like the dogs are running the house. Dogs who know who's boss (namely you) don't have power struggles.
I disagree - this doggy momma sounds like she knows what she is doing and has been doing it well for several years. Something has changed and the younger female feels like she is in a position to take advantage.

Ugh - this is making me happy that my guy is an "only"

Old 09-09-2008, 07:00 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,551,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I disagree - this doggy momma sounds like she knows what she is doing and has been doing it well for several years. Something has changed and the younger female feels like she is in a position to take advantage.

Ugh - this is making me happy that my guy is an "only"
I have to agree - I know highly experienced working dog handlers who have to keep certain dogs separated from one another.

A lot of shuffling. ***** fights - whoa - they can be very bad.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:57 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,533,872 times
I'm very glad you are seeking the assistance of the vet. You sound like a very good pet owner to say the least. My question to you for discussion sake is...you say they are exercised daily. What does this include? And are they exercised at the same time?

Old 09-09-2008, 08:09 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,268,930 times
B@tch aggression is ugly...and yes, the hierarchy is being challenged...but these are two relatively young dogs, which doesn't bode well if it is true aggression. You may find you have to keep them separated most all the time, which isn't fun at all. Baby gates or cardinal gates (the X-shaped, expandable ones you can actually fasten to a doorway) may be your only option.

I'm with you - I do feel that Lulu is ill - seizure or possibly a small stroke. If you see anything like that again before vet time, I'd get her in ASAP. She could have a neurological condition that needs immediate treatment.

I'm not a big believer in alpha rolling - sometimes dogs can get too hyped and this is dangerous unless you know what you're really, truly doing. I'd put Sophie on the NILIF (Nothing In Life Is Free) plan - she's the one that needs to be separated most when her behavior gets all hinky...watch for her cutting her eyes at Lulu, a little raise of the hair on the back, a low grumble that might signal impending doom and crate her or at least put her in another room immediately. Dogs want to be part of the pack - immediate reinforcement that even the low grumble is not acceptable will not only keep things from escalating, but Sophie will figure out her gangsta behavior is not winning her any friends.

Good luck, be safe, and please let us know how this turns out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs