U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 08:43 AM

2,826 posts, read 4,131,019 times

Advertisements

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I have a 10 year old lab that has my heart and it just tears me apart to see an animal being abused/neglected. I am afraid Blondie is right - the dog may be being punished. They have another dog that is inside the condo all day. I will let you know what happens!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 09:11 AM

4,541 posts, read 13,089,688 times
Gee... the dog may have separation anxiety issues and the people may be putting the dog there to keep it from tearing up their home.

I agree. The dog should be provided shelter from the sun and (of course) water and food.

I would anonymously put a kind note under their door...

What if these people really love the dog and are doing everything else in their power to take care of it and just don't realize how hot it may be out there?

Causing a problem for these people may have bad repurcussions for that dog... it could be surrendered or something worse could happen.
The apartment / condo / HOA could decide to disallow pets if you bring them into it.

I think that we all need to always try to look ahead at the consequences of our actions and try not to always assume the absolute worst....

Last edited by World Citizen; 09-10-2008 at 09:24 AM..

Old 09-10-2008, 10:53 AM

1,738 posts, read 7,495,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Gee... the dog may have separation anxiety issues and the people may be putting the dog there to keep it from tearing up their home.

I agree. The dog should be provided shelter from the sun and (of course) water and food.

I would anonymously put a kind note under their door...

What if these people really love the dog and are doing everything else in their power to take care of it and just don't realize how hot it may be out there?

Causing a problem for these people may have bad repurcussions for that dog... it could be surrendered or something worse could happen.
The apartment / condo / HOA could decide to disallow pets if you bring them into it.

I think that we all need to always try to look ahead at the consequences of our actions and try not to always assume the absolute worst....
woooo wooo world Citzen! Nicely put and so accurate! I think sometimes we try so hard to protect that we can damage situations!
Ten points to world Citzen! ...it won't let me give you real reputation points =(

Old 09-10-2008, 11:37 AM

2,826 posts, read 4,131,019 times
I called the homeowners association and they said there is nothing they can do. They recommended that I call animal control.

I don't want to get anyone in trouble - but there is no way any sensible person doesn't know that their balcony is in full sun. I also hate that this little dog spends his day pacing..... I also understand separation anxiety. My dog licks her leg when I am gone so I have to tape it up!

Unfortunately, I cannot access their door to leave them a note because the building is secured. The next few days are supposed to be cooler weather so I am going to check it out and see what they do with the dog.

Thank you all for your advise!!!

Old 09-10-2008, 01:32 PM

265 posts, read 1,151,322 times
I know it's not the easiest thing to approach someone about a situation that you feel very strongly about and differ from them, but I think gizmobizmo really got it right when s/he suggested talking to them with a "hey, I just happened to notice..." attitude. Don't assume these people are 1. punishing or 2. that they know full sun, etc. They just as likely assume that the dog house solves the shade problem...open, honest, respectful communication should be the first step. And take it one step at a time...please do keep us all informed...

Old 09-10-2008, 02:06 PM

4,541 posts, read 13,089,688 times
I really love animals. I don't want any animal to be abused or mistreated -- ever!
But, I remember that you said that they have another dog that stays in the house all day... but for some reason -- this dog does not.

I would just like for you to consider honestly what the likely ending of the story will be if that dog is surrendered and / or taken by Animal Control and the dog DOES happen to have Separation Anxiety issues....

Someone else will adopt him and... or not... and then what ???

If you're watching that balcony that closely, you should be able to figure out whose dog it is and maybe leave a note on the windshield of their car... there has to be a way to help short of calling in the big guns!

To me this seems to be one of those "golden rule" opportuniteis.

Last edited by World Citizen; 09-10-2008 at 02:52 PM..

Old 09-10-2008, 06:37 PM

4,704 posts, read 10,119,889 times
I agee with many here that the first thing that should be done is to either talk to the owners or leave a note on the windshield of the car if that is the only place you can leave it . Either way state your concern but do not lash out by saying something like You idiots or any thing that is just going to make them angry.

My dogs and I live in a condo and I have always let my neighbors know that I want them to approach me if the dogs are causing a problem or are of concern as if I do not know how can I fix a problem? Well the only time my neighbor has said anything was when she came up and said I have to say something about your dogs, to my total surprize she then said do you take them to work with you? I said "no why?" She told me because she never hears them barking so figured they went to work with me....whewww! I was so proud of my dogs as that moment.

I just think people need to try to resolve issues by talking or leaving a note before we call in animal control or what ever. You may have these people as neighbors for a long long time and when there are neighbor wars going on it can get too ugly.

I try to respect my neighbors and keep my dogs leashed in the common areas, try to keep them quite, invite my neighbors to bring up any issues with me and ALWAYS clean up after them. Not all dog owners that live here are this way so my neighbors do appreciate it alot and I have a good relationship with them. I would only resort to animal control if the other did no good.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:47 PM

4,654 posts, read 15,732,994 times
How about going to a discount store buying a sheet and give it to them? They could use it to somehow tie up on the balcony and at least provide some shade.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:09 PM

1,930 posts, read 9,456,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I need some advise. My parents live in a condominium building. One of their neighbors has a small dog - looks kind of like a sheltie to me. The owners (more than once) have left the dog on the balcony all day. The balcony is about 4' x 8' and the dog appears to have food, water and a dog house but today it was almost 90 degrees in the sun - the balcony is in full afternoon sun. When I was at my parents this afternoon I watched this poor dog pace in circles for about 1 hour.

My parents and I are terribly upset about this. Would you try to talk to the neighbors? I don't know how I could do this in a 'kind' way - how could they not know how miserable this dog is? Please let me know what you would do!
I would definitely go talk to them first. I would just ask them if they realized that their dog has no shade for part of the day, or all of the day, or however long it is. Then, if something doesn't change the next day, I would report it to the condo association and animal services.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
I think you should stay out of it.
I'm sorry, but I don't know how you can even say that. There is NO way I could know that that poor little dog is literally roasting in the sun all day and not do something about it. It would eat me up inside! Dogs can't cool off like we do, they can pant and I think they sweat from their paw pads (I couldn't tell you for sure), but that's it. They overheat so easily!

Old 06-18-2009, 07:13 PM

9 posts, read 11,172 times
A lot of dog owners don't take criticism to well. I'm speeking from experience so I would talk to the homeowner assoc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or