U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 04:00 PM

973 posts, read 2,966,943 times

Advertisements

I have purchased the 5 in 1 vaccinines and syringes for my pets, off and on for years through "PETMEDS.COM" at a significant savings.
Even adding on the overnight shipping charge, it can be much less expensive than taking your pet to see the vet, depending on how expensive the vet is. If you or some of his friends have pets, consider ordering all at once to save on shipping costs.
The last time I checked, the rabies vaccines cannot be purchased through them since they have to be on record in each county. I believe that only needs to be given every 2-3 years though.
If your son chooses this route, have him to keep the receipt and the vaccines bottle to offer as proof that the shots were given. My old vet was happy to document in my dogs file that the vaccines were administered and he was nice enough to show me how to give the shot. Not all vets will document this in their files though so he needs to ask ahead of time. If the vet will not do it, it may be a problem if the dog ever needs to be boarded as there will be no proof that it's up to date on it's shots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 05:16 PM

3,627 posts, read 12,784,772 times
The every 3 years recommendation is from a panel of verterinarians and has been adopted by many - there is evidence they last over 7 years, some a lifetime. I would never assault a dogs immune system with a 5 way or 7 way vaccine. At least take a look at the PDF file put out by the AAHA.

Any leptospirosis vaccine you get mail order is worthless .... actually the lepto vaccine is pretty worthless.

If you give kennel cough, that one is one of the few that has short term immunity - it is only good for 6 months.

Think about it. How often do YOU get your childhood immunizations repeated?

Old 09-11-2008, 05:35 PM

3,714 posts, read 8,269,094 times
I have no problem with either having vets give the shots or doing it myself, I've done both. Usually I let the vet do it, because they are better at keeping records where they are easily found.

Now I have another problem. All my dogs are UTD on everything, but I need to get Interceptor, and none of the mail order suppliers I've found will do that without a vet's prescription. Can't get a prescripton without having them - one of them, anyway - tested for heartworm first. Advantix I can and do get sent to my house, but getting to the vet is a lot more difficult. There's only one vet here, and he's about 5 or so miles out of town. THat's too far for both me and the dog to walk, let alone turn around and walk back again. I can't drive any more, so I'm pretty much at the mercy of my neighbors, who are very nice, but also mostly don't have dogs, or if they do, let them ride in the back of a pick up. Not something I'm willing to do, or something my dog has ever done, anyway. Anyone know of a source for Interceptor that doesn't involve all the hassle?

Old 09-11-2008, 07:08 PM

Even if you give your dogs routine HW preventive they need a regular HW check. If you give the medicine to a dog with an infection it can kill the dog. These medicines are good but not 100% and handlers are not either.

I can see your bind though - have you discussed the problem with the vet [about not being able to get there?] maybe there is some way you can get some help with this. I have put my dogs in the back of a pick up in a dog crate which was anchored down. That is not so bad, particularly for a short drive. First time I zip tied the crate door shut just in case the dog freaked out, which it did not.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:15 PM

5,500 posts, read 20,017,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2move View Post
I am wondering if anybody uses them and if you are happy. My son's dog is due for his annual shots next month and he is a poor college student trying to save some money, but also making sure that his baby is taken care of.

TIA
Your dog probably does not even need the annual vaccines. Just get the rabies every three years and you'll save more money.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:46 PM
bjh

30,250 posts, read 23,703,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
I don't vaccinate my dogs. The only vaccine they get is Rabies, ones every 3 years.
That's all they really need. If you kennel your dog or go to the dog parks, i would do Kennel cough vaccine, but all the rest is nothing but money making for vets.
I disagree. I worked at a vets when I was a teen and saw people bring in dogs with other diseases that HAVE vaccines. Some of those pets don't make it. Parvo, distemper and bordatella are VERY dangerous!

Old 09-12-2008, 03:37 AM

I have never heard of kennel cough [bordatella] as a very dangerous disesase - more a highly contagious annoyance. Once again THAT vaccine is only good for 6 months. It is basically the common cold for dogs.

If you really feel you have to do this annually, please just give the 5 way and not the 7 way. Lepto is the number one cause of serious vaccine reactions in dogs. There are over 200 variants of lepto, the average vaccine has 2 or 4 variants of lepto, immuniity does not last long with the vaccine, and the blend made each year [the blend sold to vets] is based on the strains active where you live - the belnd you buy through mail order is not regionalized. Small dogs are particularly susceptible to lepto vaccination reactions. If lepto is active in your area [vets get regular updates] and your dog regularly run around livestock kept in 3rd world conditions you may want to vaccinate.

Basically my understanding is vaccines for systemic diseases [e.g., distemper] confer probable lifetime immunity [rabies studies have been going on for I think 7 years], but vaccines for diseases targeted to organ systems are shorter.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:59 AM

5,500 posts, read 20,017,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I disagree. I worked at a vets when I was a teen and saw people bring in dogs with other diseases that HAVE vaccines. Some of those pets don't make it. Parvo, distemper and bordatella are VERY dangerous!
Usually after the first puppy shots, the dogs have enough immunity to last a life time. Bordatella is about as dangerous as the common cold.

The concern is due to complications over giving too many vaccines.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:48 AM

894 posts, read 3,962,125 times
Now you you all have me in a tizzy....and on overload!

My son lives in Tallahassee, and the dog swims most everyday...the complex that he lives in is pretty buggy and there are also alot of other dogs that use the same common area and alot also use the pool. I am not sure if some of the owners are as on top of things as we are.

This is from the Petco website and what they offer:

Canine 5 in 1 (DA2PP):

Distemper is widespread, often deadly and can affect any wild or domestic carnivore. Distemper may cause vomiting, diarrhea, seizures and death.

Adenovirus (type 2) is included in the 5 in 1 vaccine to protect against Hepatitis, which is spread through urine. Hepatitis can cause high fever, pain, enlarged liver and death.
Parainfluenza is a respiratory virus that which can cause coughing. This may linger for several weeks.

Canine Parvovirus is contracted by contact with infected dog feces is shed in dog feces and can persist in the environment long after the feces have been removed. Parvo causes bloody diarrhea, vomiting and often death.

Leptospirosis is shed in urine, affects liver and kidneys and could cause death. Access to muddy marsh water areas should be limited. Hunting and other dogs with access to these areas should be vaccinated every 6 months. This vaccine should only be given to dogs at risk of exposure.

Corona virus is very similar to parvovirus, attacking the intestinal tract causing vomiting and bloody diarrhea.

Bordetella is the bacterial cause of Kennel Cough. Most boarding facilities require this vaccine.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:50 AM

3,714 posts, read 8,269,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Even if you give your dogs routine HW preventive they need a regular HW check. If you give the medicine to a dog with an infection it can kill the dog. These medicines are good but not 100% and handlers are not either.

I can see your bind though - have you discussed the problem with the vet [about not being able to get there?] maybe there is some way you can get some help with this. I have put my dogs in the back of a pick up in a dog crate which was anchored down. That is not so bad, particularly for a short drive. First time I zip tied the crate door shut just in case the dog freaked out, which it did not.
In many states, it's illegal to let a dog ride in the back of a pick up, even if there's one of those nifty little gadgets that have a short lead to snap on the dog's collar. I have seen portable wire mesh panels that drop into the holes on each side of the bed, and pop back out when no longer needed. I knew someone who used to carry either their dogs or llamas in one, made vet visits for the llamas a lot cheaper. The particular dog I'm concerned about now is an 80 lb newfie cross who has never been in a crate - I tried to crate train her when she was a puppy, but DH objected so strenuously, I stopped. She loves riding, and prefers to do it while leaning against me, and she has a lot of miles under her paws. Every time we went anywhere in AK, she was right there in the front seat, and when we moved to the Lower 48, she rode along - then again when we moved from the midwest to the PNW, she rode along again. And when I moved from there back to another part of the midwest, she rode along in the Uhaul. It's one her true joys in life, and I don't want to spoil it for her by trying to crate her [I'd have to buy a crate large enough in the first place] and put her in the back of a truck. I've known of too many dogs who rode the way my neighbors carry theirs, that jumped out and got lost, hit, hurt, died, left behind.

It's particularly frustrating because before I moved here I tried to get all the heartworm thing set up before we left the PNW. Our regular vet there said she simply didn't have anything to do it with, it wasn't a problem there, and I'd have to wait until I got where I was going. So now I've gotten, but now the vet doesn't do house calls! It's a minimum of a 50 mile round trip to contact any other vet who would, but those work primarily with livestock, not small animals.

But the one vet near me does not, under any circumstances, do house calls. I've been told that over and over, and haven't even bothered to talk to him myself - though when I first got here I did go to his office and get Advantix, enough to last for several months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs