Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 01:23 PM

718 posts, read 2,078,748 times

Advertisements

Petco does a fine job with immunizations for dogs...as does PetSmart. At the end of a long line the other day at Petco, I remarked to the person in front of me.....too bad Vets don't get that they charge way too much for something so simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 01:31 PM

376 posts, read 1,809,003 times
re: the hearworm prescription issue. I know when I go to PetSmart for pet shots, people are able to buy the heartworm medication at the event. I'm not sure how that works, but my guess would be that if you have your dog tested there and the vet at the event issues the prescription you would be OK to purchase? It might be worth giving them a call?

Old 09-12-2008, 02:10 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,908,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2move View Post
Now you you all have me in a tizzy....and on overload!

My son lives in Tallahassee, and the dog swims most everyday...the complex that he lives in is pretty buggy and there are also alot of other dogs that use the same common area and alot also use the pool. I am not sure if some of the owners are as on top of things as we are.

This is from the Petco website and what they offer:

Canine 5 in 1 (DA2PP):

Distemper is widespread, often deadly and can affect any wild or domestic carnivore. Distemper may cause vomiting, diarrhea, seizures and death.

Adenovirus (type 2) is included in the 5 in 1 vaccine to protect against Hepatitis, which is spread through urine. Hepatitis can cause high fever, pain, enlarged liver and death.
Parainfluenza is a respiratory virus that which can cause coughing. This may linger for several weeks.

Canine Parvovirus is contracted by contact with infected dog feces is shed in dog feces and can persist in the environment long after the feces have been removed. Parvo causes bloody diarrhea, vomiting and often death.

Leptospirosis is shed in urine, affects liver and kidneys and could cause death. Access to muddy marsh water areas should be limited. Hunting and other dogs with access to these areas should be vaccinated every 6 months. This vaccine should only be given to dogs at risk of exposure.

Corona virus is very similar to parvovirus, attacking the intestinal tract causing vomiting and bloody diarrhea.

Bordetella is the bacterial cause of Kennel Cough. Most boarding facilities require this vaccine.
The following link http://www.aahanet.org/PublicDocumen...s06Revised.pdf will take you to the most recent AAHA vaccination protocol which supports the every-three-years advice that some on the forum have given. Dr. Jean Dodds' recommendations are here: Dr-Dodds-ChangingVaccProtocol. These recommendations are supported by most veterinary schools. Vaccines are not harmless. Dogs and cats are getting cancer at earlier ages in more aggressive forms. Vaccine induced problems are occurring more and more frequently. Consider that each vaccination introduces genetic components of four to seven diseases into a pet's body. Over-vaccination carries its own risks, and a personal vet should be the guide to what is needed in each geographic area.

I do not vaccinate annually, nor every three years except for rabies. Each year I have my vet do vaccine titers and only administer a vaccine if the titer signifies low immunity. While PetSmart and Petco clinics can be moneysavers, I personally prefer to develop and maintain a relationship with a vet that will listen to my concerns and collaborate with me in caring for my animals.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:40 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,550,121 times
You know I still kick my self for giving my old auto-immune compromized dog his rabies booster at the vets insistence - this was an indoor dog with NO possible exposure to rabies.

3 months later he was dead from hemangiosarcoma [a rapidly growing cancer] but was A-OK at the vet exam when he was given the immunization. I really have to wonder if there was a causal link. We KNOW rabies vaccine is good for at least 7 years [ongoing vaccine study in Maine] -

I only vaccinate my dogs every 3 years due to travel/documentation requirements [they are working search dogs]. They only get distemper, rabies, cav-2, parvo.

My dogs are in all kinds of unimaginable enviroments and I monitor their health religiously --- I know they are at higher risk for lepto than most pets. I also KNOW that the lepto shot gives very little protection against the disease and they can still get the disease and that, caught early, it is usually curable.

Another disease we have seen is pseudorabies - look THAT one up -- big concern for dogs exposed to pig farms. There is no pretection against that one and it is a killer - just fairly uncommon.

Dogs swimming in dirty water - don't let them drink it - blue green algae has killed quite a few dogs. If you see water with algal blooms keep the dogs away from it.

Giardia - that one has impacted dogs on our team as well. But so have snake bites. We don't do the rattlesnake vaccine because it is more dangerous than a rattlesnake bite from what we have heard [most healthy dogs usually recover just fine from snake bites]

That AAHA document is worth reading. They, not a mail order company which profits from the sale of vaccines, represent a panel of veterinarians and veterinary hospitals using current research.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:16 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,373,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Usually after the first puppy shots, the dogs have enough immunity to last a life time. Bordatella is about as dangerous as the common cold.

The concern is due to complications over giving too many vaccines.
Okay, and a previous poster mentioned that was the same thing as kennel cough. I was a kid that worked at a vets' office, not a vet. I stand corrected.

I know some clients brought in dogs with parvo and distemper that didn't make it. I remember specifically a little dalmation pup that died of parvo. Very sad.

Very dangerous and could have been avoided with a vaccine. That was the point I wanted to make. Rabies is not the ONLY vaccine that may save a dog's life.

Old 09-13-2008, 04:13 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,550,121 times
I don't think anyone is arguing the point about distemper and parvo being killers. But vaccines simply are NOT needed annually. The veterinarian councils and schools are saying - whoa = every three years is plenty. Tests are proving it is much longer and people who titer their dogs are giving evidence that supports the tests.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:28 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,373,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I don't think anyone is arguing the point about distemper and parvo being killers. But vaccines simply are NOT needed annually. The veterinarian councils and schools are saying - whoa = every three years is plenty. Tests are proving it is much longer and people who titer their dogs are giving evidence that supports the tests.

If you read the entire thread, an earlier poster said that except for rabies and bordatello other vaccines were just money makers for the vets.

That was the point I disagreed with.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:02 AM

376 posts, read 1,809,003 times
To get back to the original OP's question AND the person who had limited transportation options, you should also look into Pet Supermarket's programs. I also learned that they will test your dog for heartworm on site, takes about ten minutes I'm told and you can get the heartworm medication there. THey also run clinics once a month, and if your town is like mine, there's one at either end, so easy to get to. Their costs are comparable to Petco, PetSmart. Good luck.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:14 PM

1 posts, read 15,619 times
so you are saying after you give your puppies their first set of puupy shots they are good for 3 years they do not need their boosters every 2 weeks for I think they say 12 weeks of age or am I wrong on what you are saying.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:41 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,408,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear1523 View Post
so you are saying after you give your puppies their first set of puupy shots they are good for 3 years they do not need their boosters every 2 weeks for I think they say 12 weeks of age or am I wrong on what you are saying.
Puppy vacs are only good for one yr....After that, 3 yrs. In other words, your puppy will have to vaccinated 1 yr from it's last puppy vac. Puppies should have all 3 sets of puppy shots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs