Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 12:49 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,329,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Shepards are so smart some can be tempermental and stubborn. I love labs, never have any problems with them. but I have found if you live not in the Southwest, the best dog for families besides the lab is a Saint Bernard. Do they love there family!!! and so sweet and so much fun! I love my Cujo. Yes that is his name.
Okay, I hate you!!!!! That's what I want to name my next dog! I've waited years to name a dog Cujo. Either my kids named our dogs, the dogs were there before I was born or I had to share in the naming when I was growing up (except my one German Shep. that I spoke of earlier, I named her Fluffy by myself--after my teddy bear) The only difference is I told my husband I thought it would be really funny if we got a female dog and got one of those tiny breeds (a lap dog). I figured how great would it be if someone hears you yelling "Come here Cujo!!! Down, Cujo!". No one would want to come near your house because they're picturing this huge male St. Bernard that's foaming at the mouth with red eyes...(meanwhile, the darn dog is hiding in your coat pocket) However, while I love dogs, I'm very partial to large and/or strong dogs or even medium to med/small, I'm not too partial to those teensy ones (they usually are more vicious because of their inferiority complex). The other name I want is Chewbacca. Those are my next two dogs and neither my kids nor my husband have a choice in naming them!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 02:02 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,669,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
Okay, I hate you!!!!! That's what I want to name my next dog! I've waited years to name a dog Cujo. Either my kids named our dogs, the dogs were there before I was born or I had to share in the naming when I was growing up (except my one German Shep. that I spoke of earlier, I named her Fluffy by myself--after my teddy bear) The only difference is I told my husband I thought it would be really funny if we got a female dog and got one of those tiny breeds (a lap dog). I figured how great would it be if someone hears you yelling "Come here Cujo!!! Down, Cujo!". No one would want to come near your house because they're picturing this huge male St. Bernard that's foaming at the mouth with red eyes...(meanwhile, the darn dog is hiding in your coat pocket) However, while I love dogs, I'm very partial to large and/or strong dogs or even medium to med/small, I'm not too partial to those teensy ones (they usually are more vicious because of their inferiority complex). The other name I want is Chewbacca. Those are my next two dogs and neither my kids nor my husband have a choice in naming them!!!

my son want to get another Saint and name him Bob!!!! Why i have no idea. You cannot believe the looks i get when I call for Cujo at the dog park and up comes this 200 pound Saint. People either look horrified or run to him yelling beethoven!!! But he is the sweetest dog ever.

Old 02-06-2007, 03:19 PM

1,408 posts, read 8,021,727 times
Default I've been owned by a shepard

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjbrent View Post
I have decieded I would like to add a German Shepard to my fur-kids. I currently have two 14 yr old Labrador Retriver's that are brothers from the same little, a Shih Tzu puppy and (half of the time) a 5 yr old Chow/Neufland mix. ( He is victim of a family divorce.) I just lost my original love, a 14 yr old Cocker Spaniel mix.

Anyways, I have read they are of high intelligence (almost human level) and really need a task in life. Also they are supposed to be very protective and loyal. My current gang is very protective of my family and property. I have a large yard at both my residences. I also run daily.

Will that be enough exercise? What kind of "task" could it possibly get from my household? I want to make he/she very happy!

I would love to hear from anyone who has owned the #3 breed in America!
My husband and I adopted our shepard mix when he was 9 years old and he had lots of energy (even at 9) and loved to go for walks/runs. We would go out for an hour twice a day (sometimes we would run together). Unfortunately he was not socialized with other animals so he did not like other dogs. He was very protective and loved his family. If we had company either my husband or I had to let our guests into our home, once we did that bandit (our shepard) was fine but if a guest tried to enter without one of us being there he would bark and growl (we never trained him to do this). He was amazing with children though. Never growled or barked at them. Would let my friends kids climb all over him and he never did a thing, just laid there. Bandit lived until he was 13. He passed away from cancer.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:48 AM

8 posts, read 57,915 times
Please, if you're considering adding a furbaby to your family, look into adopting from a kill-shelter. You can find everything from a mutt to a pure-bred of almost any breed and you'll be saving a life at the same time. When you purchase a pet from a store or any other than a top of the line breeder, you are encouraging over-population and (in some cases) inhumane treatment.

An excellent place to find new furbabies of all ages, sizes, breeds and mixes is www.petfinder.com.

I've personally found a pure-bred shih-tzu, a pure-bred german shepherd dog and a Lhasa Apso mix. All terrific dogs! You can find cats and even farm animals!

And, no, I'm not associated with the website in any way. I just hate seeing homeless furbabies while people go off and buy from "breeders".

Old 02-08-2007, 12:07 PM

302 posts, read 1,049,573 times
I too have had German Shepards all my life. I've had three now. I''ve only had female GS though. I never had a male. These are very loyal and obiedent dogs. As was stated before try and find a contact in Europe. They will cost extra money but you will be very happy with the results. Remember you get what you pay for. The GS we have now is only 6 months older than our daughter. They were " raised " at the same time. Both are now 5. We never had any issues with the GS and my daughter. I thought maybe jealousy, but that never happened either. She is VERY protective of our family. Very much so for our daughter. We let the GS out and play with the neighborhood kids in the evening. She runs with them and enjoys their company. However she is ALWAYS beside our daughter.

My other GS would actually push my wife off a couch or bed if she was lying next to me. I had the GS before I meet my wife and the GS "tolerated" my girlfriend/wife. However after a few years they seemed to bond much closer. Still the GS wouldn't listen to her as well as she would to my commands. So if this GS will be a family dog or given commands from a few people, make sure all are involved in the training.

You'll be very happy you picked a GS!

Old 02-08-2007, 12:12 PM

101 posts, read 315,216 times
Default I promise......

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsDDalanD View Post
Please, if you're considering adding a furbaby to your family, look into adopting from a kill-shelter. You can find everything from a mutt to a pure-bred of almost any breed and you'll be saving a life at the same time. When you purchase a pet from a store or any other than a top of the line breeder, you are encouraging over-population and (in some cases) inhumane treatment.

An excellent place to find new furbabies of all ages, sizes, breeds and mixes is www.petfinder.com.

I've personally found a pure-bred shih-tzu, a pure-bred german shepherd dog and a Lhasa Apso mix. All terrific dogs! You can find cats and even farm animals!

And, no, I'm not associated with the website in any way. I just hate seeing homeless furbabies while people go off and buy from "breeders".
I PROMISE THAT IS WHAT I AM DOING!! I visit Petfinder.com everyday! It makes me so sad to see these guys that needs homes so bad. I am as much of an animal lover as they come and the whole thing just makes me sick. I volunteer with the Humane Society and have rescued many myself. I feel it is my purpose.

Anyways, I am in touch with three different chapters of SPCA and HS in three surronding states. I am looking for a large dog for myself and a small dog for my Shih Tzu. She is lonley. We lost our best friend of 14 furry years a month ago and now she is left with 3 BIG boys.

How are lhasas? I hear they have completley different personalitys then Shih Tzus. I LOVE MY SHIH TZU!! She is the light of my life now.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:56 PM

1,408 posts, read 8,021,727 times
Thumbs up I ONLY adopt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsDDalanD View Post

I found my Jazzy (an akita/malamute) on petfinder.com and I adopted my parker (a malamute/shepard) at my local animal shelter.

Old 02-10-2007, 12:48 PM

8 posts, read 57,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsjoe View Post
How are lhasas? I hear they have completley different personalitys then Shih Tzus. I LOVE MY SHIH TZU!! She is the light of my life now.
Lhasas are indeed completely different from Shih Tzus. Lhasas own the house and, if you behave and provide sufficient treats, may allow you to live in it! Our little fellow had a hard life before he came to us and it has taken him 5 years to really accept that this is his forever home and we're not going to do anything horrible to him. He's finally figured out how great it is to be loved on and will now ask for it. Where our Shih Tzu gets in your face asking for attention, our Lhasa simply lumbers up (ok, maybe he's not quite as little as he ought to be! ) and sits down right where you can't ignore him.

When the time comes, as it inevitably does, we will likely replace him with another Shih Tzu. I think the energy level will be more even. I hear you about loving our Shih Tzu. I can't even imagine my life without her in it! She is, in every way, my baby!

Our beloved GSD was also my sweetheart. In many ways, I saw a lot of similarities in the two of them.

And, to everyone who is using petfinder.com and their local shelters ... YOU ROCK!!

Old 02-12-2007, 09:50 AM

1,396 posts, read 1,188,880 times
I LOVE GERMAN SHEPHERDS!!! I have had a female German Shepherd for 10 1/2 years and her partner who we lost a year ago was part and talk about smart and easy to train. Upon losing her partner I got a 4 month old purebred and he is now 1 1/2 yrs and we are getting another Shepherd in 5 days from the same litter.
My female has been wonderful in the training the puppy she tattles when he leaves the yard and lets him know his duties as a dog. She has been a jewel. If she can just get through one more puppy this will be great. She's 12 and it's not easy playing with a puppy. She does have hip issues but, they just started this year and I am glad I never had her checked for hip problems since I was not going to breed this wasn't an issue for me getting her. I also,knew I would only be able to do so much were money is concerned.
But, she has lived a full life in the mountains and it was better then, her apartment life style before.

What I have found is they do like to work we walk often and I put a pack with weights and water bottles on his back and he feels like he's doing something. Loves balls a trainer told me G.S. are very ball driven so they pick up on fetch easily and he does love to play ball. But, I find an only dog is apt to cause more problems then, a dog with a partner. Company is a big issue for most animals. I believe in two of each!!!

Old 02-13-2007, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,065 times
I have a 10 month old German Shepard named Smokey.. He tends to be stubborn when you want him to lay down or stay.. All he wants to do is play.. I do have a question about when the ears are supposed to stand up?? I thought they would be up by now..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs