Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 02:14 PM

342 posts, read 1,831,109 times

Advertisements

I'm no expert, but here's my two cents:
You need to reassert your dominance and status as a leader, not only once in a blue moon when the dog shows signs of challenging you, but everyday throughout your daily interactions with the dog. Dogs need constant reminding and re-enforcement of their training and skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinsl View Post
Another thing to try may be to not allow the dog on the bed again without your permission. Claim it as your space and only allow him on if he is given permission by you.
In dog/wolf packs, leaders sleep on higher ground. That's the privilege of the alpha. So this applies to not only the bed but the couch as well, or any other highly desirable spot in the house. Make it invite-only, such that the dog must be granted permission to get up on your (the boss's) turf. And then you get off of the bed/couch, make the dog get off as well (don't give in just because he looks so cute and comfy!). This will keep the dog from claiming the higher ground as his own and becomming possessive over it. When the leader of a pack is not present/not home, subordinates (both dogs and wolves) do sneak and treat themselves to and enjoy the privileges of these coveted spots, but they should get their butt off in a hurry once the boss is back.

Another consideration is to not allow the dog on the bed whatsoever, and make the couch invite-only (that's what I do). I let my dog sleep in the same room as me, but never on the bed. We'll occassionally snuggle and nap on the couch together, but again, it's invite-only. If the dog is free to roam the house when you're not home, put stuff (boxes, chairs, etc) on the couch or set up gates/barricades to prevent him from getting on there until he learns that he's not allowed up. Don't invite him up for the first couple days while you reclaim your turf. Then start inviting (but make sure you receive "payment" before you treat him).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
I would suggest you address the behavior but not only at the moment he is on the bed. Find other times to exert your dominance as well. I would probably train him to stay out of the bedroom altogether, at least banish him from the bed so you aren't sending mixed messages. IF you want him on the bed it is only when you invite him, not whenever he wants so that you have to go in and ask for the bed back...but you risk sending mixed messages again....so maybe not.
Other ways to assert dominance include (this isn't exhaustive in the least bit):

1) Eat your meals before the rest of the pack. The alpha gets dibs on any kill the pack makes, so it's only natural for the boss to eat first.

2) In bottleneck situations (like doorways), you always go first and the dog follows.

3) You initiate play and other forms of attention. If the dog wants something (meals, to be let out, to play, to be pet, to get on couch, etc), don't just do as the dog wants. Have him follow a command (sit, down, etc) as a form of "payment" before you reward him with food or attention.

4) When out for walks, you and only you should be setting the pace, choosing the direction/path, and deciding when to stop. These are all the leader's job/privilege. The dog should not be taking these from you.

5) Never let the dog mount you or have you pinned to the ground. And don't let him hump you.

If you act the leader through all interactions with your dog, then he won't feel the need (or dare) to challenge you. So make the above subtle acts of dominance a daily thing. As far as what to do when your dog is baring its teeth at you... I don't blame you for handling it the way you did, but ideally you would have let the dog make the decision to relinquish the bed rather than force him to so that you mentally, rather than physically, dominate him (e.g. the Ceasar Millan method a previous post discribed).

Good luck!

Last edited by vemureaux; 09-11-2008 at 02:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 02:59 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Not one poster has said this...GET HIM TO THE VET....have him checked for a medical problem. IS needing a spine adjustment!!

Old 09-11-2008, 03:00 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Seems like you'll have to decide that the dog sleeps with you each night or not - it's too confusing for it to be some nights and not others, that's probably why he's "fighting" for it.

I have one dog that sleeps on our bed each night and I wish I never let her do it. We did it because she wasn't so well in her younger years, had a couple of surgeries, and she had anxiety in her sleep. Letting her sleep in the bed relieved the anxiety almost overnight, as luck would have it .

If I could do it all over again, no dogs on the bed !

Old 09-11-2008, 04:02 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,028,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PudelPie View Post
Oh man, what a situation...everything, everything, everything I've ever read says NOT to alpha roll. Even the Monks of New Skeet recanted with later publications of their groundbreaking book, How to Be Your Dog's Best Friend...yet I've done it too. I don't know what the answer is, but it does sound like good advice to try and work with Jasper when there isn't an issue (i.e., not at 2 a.m.); as for your remark about you decide if he's in or out...maybe the inconsistency is part of it. Dogs thrive on routine--they are creatures of habit/predictability (mostly) and they love consistent schedules. It seems a bit erratic for his sleeping quarters to be at your whim. What about some kind of compromise of Jasper getting his own dog bed so he can sleep alongside yours?

Best of luck with this...
He WONT sleep in a dog bed. Tried it when he was younger...he'd get out of it and go sleep on the floor. Nutty Dog...

Its always been this way though..before this I could haul him off no problem. If its daytime and we're on my bed or couch, when I get up, he gets up.
He's never been allowed to direct me on walks unless he's smelling something that makes me nosy as to what he's smelling...lol or unless I know he's FINALLY chosen a spot to pee.

It seems to be he only does this at late hours of the evening... I dont remember being scared when it happened...just mad that he was trying to take up MY bed...I said this I dont LIKE snatching him by the collar that way, but if I just get on the bed,I dont know if (a) he'll lunge at me or (b) if he'll see it as "She's OK with me taking up this bed"
only because I know its a possibilty. He is a 75+lb dog...so Im just trying to think logically.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I appreciate it. Guess I need to work with him some more..Ive been so busy with school and what-not that perhaps he's decided to try for "pack leader" position.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Not one poster has said this...GET HIM TO THE VET....have him checked for a medical problem. IS needing a spine adjustment!!
Spine adjustment?!? Please explain?

Old 09-11-2008, 04:20 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
I am not saying that he needs anything BUT temperment change can be caused by pain! Dogs dont just snap suddenly for no reason... IF he was in pain & you tought him snapping to let you know hes hurting is normal... Not Donimance. Please have a vet check him.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I am not saying that he needs anything BUT temperment change can be caused by pain! Dogs dont just snap suddenly for no reason... IF he was in pain & you tought him snapping to let you know hes hurting is normal... Not Donimance. Please have a vet check him.
Good idea...I dont think there's anything that would be hurting him..but I'll try to get him to the vet Monday morning.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:18 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,041,803 times
You know, I'm no expert... but, if you were to come in and wake me up from a sound sleep at 2:00 in the morning,... I would growl, too.

Too bad he can't tell you what he's thinking !!

But, once again... I'm no expert but I've had similar situations in my lifetime with several dogs that I've known and I've never thought too much about it.
Obviously, I let them know that I was boss... but I also realized that we had a relationship and they were communicating. Though it always comes as a surprise when they suddenly behave that way -- I believe that a dog that we've had for 5 years sees us as their friend, too. A member of their pack... whatever.
And, so it follows (to my way of thinking) that because we're their friend... they try to communicate with us, too, sometimes.

I think that so much of the way we see things today (as dominance problems) is because we're products of our modern culture.

We understand more about their behavior due to the media and education but ... dogs are still just dogs though... ya know what I mean???

To me, it sounds like he kind of apologized to you by the behavior you described when he scooted up to you in a kind of play bow....
but again, ... I'm sure I'm wrong because I'm no expert but that's still my 2 cents worth !!

Last edited by World Citizen; 09-11-2008 at 08:13 PM..

Old 09-11-2008, 08:11 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
Don't let the dog sleep on the bed. Put him on a bed on the floor.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
You know, I'm no expert... but, if you were to come in and wake me up from a sound sleep at 2:00 in the morning,... I would growl, too.

Too bad he can't tell you what he's thinking !!

But, once again... I'm no expert but I've had similar situations in my lifetime with several dogs that I've known and I've never thought too much about it.
Obviously, I let them know that I was boss... but I also realized that we had a relationship and they were communicating. Though it always comes as a surprise when they suddenly behave that way -- I believe that a dog that we've had for 5 years sees us as their friend, too. A member of their pack... whatever.
And, so it follows (to my way of thinking) that because we're their friend... they try to communicate with us, too, sometimes.

I think that so much of the way we see things today (as dominance problems) is because we're products of our modern culture.

We understand more about their behavior due to the media and education but ... dogs are still just dogs though... ya know what I mean???

To me, it sounds like he kind of apologized to you by the behavior you described when he scooted up to you in a kind of play bow....
but again, ... I'm sure I'm wrong because I'm no expert but that's still my 2 cents worth !!

Your 2 cents is appreciated. However, while I DO understand his "logic" in growling at me ( he and I ARE NOT morning "people".) I dont want him to think that its acceptable, you know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs