Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 11:13 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,031,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
in the car, to obediance school like yesterday.

Huh? lol it was like, 4 years ago. He'd just graduated from puppy obedience. I thought it was hilarious, actually. The vet was...LMAO P--issed.

He has no problems with the vet's assistant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 01:13 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,698,293 times
Interesting discussion on the validity of using the alpha roll. I've been in so many debates about it and it seems Sam I Am pretty much said it all.

However.... I'd like to share an article that might be of interest, whether some folks agree with it or not...

ClickerSolutions Training Articles -- The History and Misconceptions of Dominance Theory

Tim C.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:10 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Haven't read the entire thread, so someone may have already said this. It is not a good ideas for dogs to sleep in bed with you. I know many people do it though. Littermates do this, so he may begin to think you are an equal. My GSP has a nice, comfy dog bed that he loves. He knows he is not allowed in my bed or on the furniture. You have a breed that is territorial and can be aggressive. Please be careful and assertive without being threatening like others have said.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:33 AM

1,477 posts, read 7,910,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Interesting discussion on the validity of using the alpha roll. I've been in so many debates about it and it seems Sam I Am pretty much said it all.

However.... I'd like to share an article that might be of interest, whether some folks agree with it or not...

ClickerSolutions Training Articles -- The History and Misconceptions of Dominance Theory

Tim C.
Good article, Tim! I don't use a clicker with my dogs but I am a firm believer in NEVER using physical force with a dog and always making sure my dogs know that I control all good things. I believe that almost every dog can be successfully trained using positive reinforcement and teaching them that they must work for what they get. Wanna go out? Sit first. Time to eat? Go to the corner and sit quietly while I get the food ready. This is leadership and dogs understand these concepts very well.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:09 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,698,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
Good article, Tim! I don't use a clicker with my dogs but I am a firm believer in NEVER using physical force with a dog and always making sure my dogs know that I control all good things. I believe that almost every dog can be successfully trained using positive reinforcement and teaching them that they must work for what they get. Wanna go out? Sit first. Time to eat? Go to the corner and sit quietly while I get the food ready. This is leadership and dogs understand these concepts very well.
I absolutely agree with you there and that is the philosophy I have with my labrador retriever.

Tim C.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:56 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times
Tim C. Thank you for the article . It goes with what I have been trying to say in my post here. I told some one else here in a DM that I will worry about my dog becoming dominate over me the day Dash starts driving my car! Dash is a typical man in a car and seems to think he should be driving so watches my ever move and shoots me looks like " Should you be doing that? Do you know where you are going? Don't let that guy pass you" In my Honda he wants to be in the front while Jazz loves the back seat no way would she be caught dead up front with the chauffeur. Both are very unhappy in the Subaru outback where they have to ride in the far back. But yea the day Dash passes me on the freeway driving the Honda is the day I will worry about who is in charge!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs