U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 09:29 PM

4,334 posts, read 12,197,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
I would get into my car and drive to the nearest emergency vet.

How far away is one???
I am in the boonies here...the nearest 24 hour vet is over an hour and a half away somewhere. I cleaned the wound and wrapped it tight but not too tight. I have her leg elevated on a pillow and looks like the bleeding stopped. I can get to the regular vet here at 8am tomorrow morning. She is in discomfort so that is keeping her still. She definately needs stitches. I will stay up all night with her to make sure she is ok. It is not the kind of wound that is profusely bleeding. I had a neighbor whose dog attacked her years ago on the back leg and did the same damage. I am just so nervous that their is no 24 hour vet close to here. I have night blindness and cannot even drive 10 minutes from here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 07:34 AM

4,541 posts, read 13,092,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
I am in the boonies here...the nearest 24 hour vet is over an hour and a half away somewhere. I cleaned the wound and wrapped it tight but not too tight. I have her leg elevated on a pillow and looks like the bleeding stopped. I can get to the regular vet here at 8am tomorrow morning. She is in discomfort so that is keeping her still. She definately needs stitches. I will stay up all night with her to make sure she is ok. It is not the kind of wound that is profusely bleeding. I had a neighbor whose dog attacked her years ago on the back leg and did the same damage. I am just so nervous that their is no 24 hour vet close to here. I have night blindness and cannot even drive 10 minutes from here.
Let us know how things go today and how both of your dogs are doing!!!

Old 09-12-2008, 07:56 AM

5,500 posts, read 20,014,056 times
yes, please report back.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:58 AM

Suzie is in surgery. I got her to the vet at 8:30 am. I was up all night with her. They said they had to do some leg repair besides the stitches.
I have to pick her up after 4. I learned my lesson on this one. Never leave two dogs who have a tendency to guard food unsupervised. That is the first time I ever left my dinner plate on the counter unsupervised. I got sidetracked with Jenny eating that chicken breast and went to put her in the other room. That fight happened within less than 2 minutes! From now on when I eat all the doggies will be put in the sunroom! Jenny too!
I took some advise from here and gave Jenny two slices of bread last night to bind her up a little. She seems to be fine today.
Thanx for all your help and concerns....you guys on CD here are the best!

(I have a feeling little Chyna started that wrestling match with Suzie....she is ok. I thought the injury would have been the other way around since Suzie weighs almost 70lbs and Chyna is only 43 lbs).

Old 09-12-2008, 12:10 PM

4,582 posts, read 5,005,073 times
Glad Jenny is ok and hopefully Suzie will heal quickly. Go take a nap before you have to pick Suzie up. You must be exhausted!!

Old 09-12-2008, 02:18 PM

4,541 posts, read 13,092,187 times
Ditto on the nap!

What an awful night for you.... I bet everyone will be sleeping tonight exhausted from all of this.

Wonder if the big dog jumped up on the counter to get your food and the little one clamped on to stop them from getting it???
That would explain the back leg being injured.

Last edited by World Citizen; 09-12-2008 at 03:07 PM..

Old 09-12-2008, 03:13 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,850,925 times
I am so sorry for your doggy troubles, Blondie.
I guess sometimes when it rains it pours. ::hugs::
Years ago I was dogsitting for a friend and that pooch took two *frozen* pork chops off the counter and gobbled them down. And she was fine, though she did get a bit of the trots later on.
But I agree about cooked chicken--that can be a problem.
Another time I was dogsitting (the pork chop dog's pup) and she got into the garbage and got a chicken bone stuck in her throat. I came home from work, she was loping around the house making swallowing/coughing noises, and I freaked out when I saw the chicken strewn about. She drank a bunch of water, it went down, and she was fine.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:41 PM

Picked Suzie up at 4 and have her home now. I put her in a large crate with a nice soft comforter and pillow. The vet gave me antibiotics and painkillers. I just held a water dish for her and she drank some water and held her food dish and she ate. Keeping it light on the food till tomorrow. She has to go back in 10 days for stitch removal. I am sure she will start feeling better in a few days...

Old 09-12-2008, 07:22 PM

315 posts, read 970,307 times
Cooked chicken bones are one of the worse offenders to dogs intestines . With luck, everything might pass, but dogs raiding garbage pails and eating chicken bones usually end up at the vets for treatment - the least being an overnight stay for observation, and an enema to cleat the gut. The worst is your dog needing surgery if the gut is pierced.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
Cooked chicken bones are one of the worse offenders to dogs intestines . With luck, everything might pass, but dogs raiding garbage pails and eating chicken bones usually end up at the vets for treatment - the least being an overnight stay for observation, and an enema to cleat the gut. The worst is your dog needing surgery if the gut is pierced.
Thanx Zoran, I am keeping an eye on her. Keeping my fingers crossed she will be ok. I think that may be the problem with one of my other rescues. She was abandoned in a yard and was an outside dog so I am sure chicken bones were tossed over the fence sometimes. I am also sure she was surviving on garbage too. She has had some stomach issues since I got her off and on. I put her on a sensative stomach food and she seems to be doing better but she still eats alot of grass off and on. I am taking a breather from the vet for a month and then will have some xrays done on this other one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs