Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 06:27 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,346,068 times

Advertisements

Please pray for Hurricane Ike's helpless victims. I know there are lots of homeless stray animals that will perish on Galveston Island and in the areas hit hard. It makes me cry just thinking about how scared they must be. Also, I am sure there are some pets who were left behind for whatever reason, by evacuees. And the kennels, pet boarding places, animal shelters, who must now evacuate for safety. It breaks my heart. God bless our fourlegged furry friends.
I wish I could save them all. If I ever win the lottery or marry a rich man, I will devote the rest of my life to help our fourlegged friends.
I hope my two beloved dogs know how lucky they are to be safe at home tonite, with lots of love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 06:53 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,896,254 times
Amen.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:45 PM

7 posts, read 15,546 times
Default Animal Lover

While I worry about the people that are left, they made the choice to stay. There are options for those people. The pets, livestock etc. have no choice. Regardless the number of livestock you own, they should be evacuated also. I cannot even fathom what horrors this night and the next few days will hold for them. I believe ranchers have obligations to get the livestock out of harms way.
As far as pets, what is wrong with people???? I witnessed first hand the non compassionate way pets were treated after Katrina. You have a moral responsibility to take those pets wth you. Doesnt matter how crowded. You go, they go. Had I been stranded and they wouldnt allow my pets(of which I have 4 dogs,all rescued and over 50 lbs. And 3 cats, again discarded by their owners) to come, then the rescuers better throw me a life preserver. I WON'T GO WITHOUT THEM
While you are safe in your bed tonight, please think of those than cannot help themselves,the animals we as humans domesticated.
And please donate whatever you can to the United States Humane Society. They do so much for these innocent creatures.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:06 PM

amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblaze83 View Post
While I worry about the people that are left, they made the choice to stay. There are options for those people. The pets, livestock etc. have no choice. Regardless the number of livestock you own, they should be evacuated also. I cannot even fathom what horrors this night and the next few days will hold for them. I believe ranchers have obligations to get the livestock out of harms way.
As far as pets, what is wrong with people???? I witnessed first hand the non compassionate way pets were treated after Katrina. You have a moral responsibility to take those pets wth you. Doesnt matter how crowded. You go, they go. Had I been stranded and they wouldnt allow my pets(of which I have 4 dogs,all rescued and over 50 lbs. And 3 cats, again discarded by their owners) to come, then the rescuers better throw me a life preserver. I WON'T GO WITHOUT THEM
While you are safe in your bed tonight, please think of those than cannot help themselves,the animals we as humans domesticated.
And please donate whatever you can to the United States Humane Society. They do so much for these innocent creatures.

Old 09-13-2008, 02:36 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,295,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redblaze83 View Post

All I thought of last night and all I thought of when I woke.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:54 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,635,628 times
People have a choice and can save themselves most of the time...they know better! Animals need us....yikes I can not even think about what went on and is going on with animals there in Texas right now! I saw all those thousands of cars evacuating on the highways and wondered how many of those people left cats and dogs and even birds alone behind in the home or chained outside. It upsets me to no end and could not sleep well last night. I prayed for the ones left behind..........as there always are plenty. Like in Katrina when people left their dogs on chains in backyards and in homes only to drown....UGH! Why are animals always left for last...forgotten about? I remember Katrina....God forbid a dog or cat was mentioned about rescuing...people would say what about the people? Forget about the dogs! Makes me angry! They did not even think about the animal rescue in Katrina until three weeks later....this is horrendous behavior....yikes I hate to think about all this.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:04 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,761,209 times
I'm in Louisiana and we evacuated for Gustav. Luckily we had 2 cars cause we had 1 55 pd. black lab, 2 westies, 2 cats and 4 people. It took 14 hours for a 8 hour trip but all made it fine. If you live in an area that you know you might have to evacuate, you have to make sure that you don't have too many animals to take care of. You have to make sure that you can get everyone out. Period!!!

Old 09-13-2008, 09:09 AM

18,656 posts, read 33,254,654 times
Both the Humane Society of the U.S., HSUS, and Best Friends Animal Society in Kanab, Utah, have rapid response rescue workers, and both are 4-star charities. A friend of mine who stole a canoe and rescued people and animals when New Orleans flooded said that Best Friends did a great job there.
Louisiana SPCA also does great work and is a 4-star charity. Surely most people can spare something for a tax-deductible donation, and some of us can afford more than a little something.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:15 AM

all those celebs and pro sports players making ridiculous amounts of money, surely can afford BIG donations to these causes, and surely need the tax write off........

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Both the Humane Society of the U.S., HSUS, and Best Friends Animal Society in Kanab, Utah, have rapid response rescue workers, and both are 4-star charities. A friend of mine who stole a canoe and rescued people and animals when New Orleans flooded said that Best Friends did a great job there.
Louisiana SPCA also does great work and is a 4-star charity. Surely most people can spare something for a tax-deductible donation, and some of us can afford more than a little something.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:55 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,635,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
I'm in Louisiana and we evacuated for Gustav. Luckily we had 2 cars cause we had 1 55 pd. black lab, 2 westies, 2 cats and 4 people. It took 14 hours for a 8 hour trip but all made it fine. If you live in an area that you know you might have to evacuate, you have to make sure that you don't have too many animals to take care of. You have to make sure that you can get everyone out. Period!!!
I thought there was a fire in the house last week. The house started to fill with a mist of smoke....I had 6 1/4 dogs out and a Mollucan Cockatoo in less than 2 minutes!
What I worry about in my area is tornadoes. There is at the most a ten minute warning for those. If I had to evacuate for a Hurricane I have three cars here...yikes...but only two drivers. I could get them all out but with no where to go. Since all my family is in Jersey. I cannot imagine life on the road with 6 1/4 dogs and a parrot for over 10 minutes. That would be a disaster in itself.
No kidding aside....I would put them in a kennel here. It is up on a high piece of land and the whole building is concrete. A no flood zone. I am almost right in the middle of Daytona and Orlando, so a direct hit of a cat 3 or more is not that likely....knock on wood!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs