Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2014, 05:28 AM

621 posts, read 1,422,051 times

Advertisements

Another Scientific Study Challenges the Wisdom of Government-Mandated Spay/Neuter | AKC Dog Lovers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 10:19 AM

323 posts, read 499,579 times
I have never had any of my female Whippets spayed. I simply do not allow them to get bred. It is like having teenage daughters, you just have to be a responsible parent.

Also, since everybody has their male dogs castrated now days, no 'suitors' even show up. I have NEVER had a suitor appear in my yard. It is male coyotes that are likely to come a calling. I live out in the country. I walk with my bit-ches and put them in a run if they go out at night. Their figures are perfect. Spaying does change a female's shape. This is true of women, also.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:25 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,893 times
In the several dog parks I go to, I find usually the females are spayed and the boys are unaltered, which is interesting to me.

After speaking to a lot of people and our vet, we spayed our puppy at 6 months.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:40 PM

974 posts, read 1,898,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
In the several dog parks I go to, I find usually the females are spayed and the boys are unaltered, which is interesting to me...
And, how many times is the owner a guy???
I see it often in Boston...more muscly the dog, less likely he'll be fixed. Drives me crazy -- dogs are usually less well-behaved, too. Dunno whether its nature or lack of training.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:09 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,605,807 times
I'm female; and am not in any hurry to neuter my spaniel. He's usually polite with other dogs and is always willing to walk away from a confrontation. And he's very friendly with people. He doesn't usually encounter ******* in heat; so the chances of his siring unwanted puppies are pretty slim. I neutered my last male dog at the age of 10; he lived until nearly 16. My dog is not perfectly behaved all the time; but his vices center around food and wanting to meet-and-greet strangers; neither of which would change much if I neutered him.

I don't object to people neutering their dogs; but I think they should wait, if they can, until the pup is at least a year old.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:10 AM

I believe the point is we are finding many health issues that are being connected to very early spay and neuters.

It sure appears that waiting till the dog attains maturity may be the best idea

Old 07-20-2014, 06:25 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,384,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post
I believe the point is we are finding many health issues that are being connected to very early spay and neuters.

It sure appears that waiting till the dog attains maturity may be the best idea
Yes, that is precisely the point. Spay/neuter before the growth plates have closed does raise the risk of orthopedic issues and some cancers. It comes down to the risk of an 'oops' litter from waiting to spay/neuter versus the increased health risk from doing it early, and any vet that keeps up at all with the literature knows this. Responsible pet owners can avoid an oops litter, so when vets and others get all judgmental for someone waiting, what they're really saying is that they don't think you are a responsible owner.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:45 PM

and they are saying- Give Me The Money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs