U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 10:51 PM

8,204 posts, read 23,784,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericmrtt View Post
I leave my dog permanently outside. Unless its below 20 degrees. Than I bring her inside.
It gets pretty hot and humid in Atlanta, doesn't it? I'm a few hours south of you, in Jax, FL, and I can't leave my dogs outside in the heat here.

80 degrees and mine start feeling legarthic, 90 degrees and they are downright unhappy. Plus with our Southern humidity, we get a lot of bugs with that heat and I don't want them getting too many mosquito bites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 11:13 PM

2,090 posts, read 2,220,390 times
My labrador retriever is able to tolerate the 90 degree weather outside. Of course, she has access to water and shelter (usually in our garage where it is much cooler during the day). With lots of water, cool shelter, and restricting heavy activities she can adjust.

Of course, over here it's just dry heat. I'm not sure if she can tolerate the hot weather with humidity.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:16 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,791,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
According to the Humane Society which I agree with. Dogs should be brought it at 40 degrees and below. Also 80 degrees and above.
So basically my dog shouldn't go outside in July and August? Alright.

I can understand the two extremes, but dogs become acclimitized to heat like we do. I'm not saying to leave them out in sub zero and 100+ degree weather either. But sometimes it's okay to be a tad uncomfortable. Hell, it's too hot/cold to me sometimes as well, but I put up with it.

So is the HS you work with opposed to working dogs?

Old 09-18-2008, 08:56 AM

8,310 posts, read 21,453,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
Doesn't it depend on the breed? Example - I have had Greyhounds and now a Whippet both breeds are not outdoor dogs at all. My Whippet shivers in the 50's and has no desire to play outdoors when it's in the 90's. His ideal temparture is 60-70. :-)
Totally depends on the breed. Huskies are fine to below zero temperatures. Chessies can be soaking wet in 20 degree weather without so much as a shiver. Chihuahuas will be popsicles in thirty seconds in 40 degree weather.

Also totally depends on the individual. My family had one lab that would stay out all day in the Houston summer and another that would raise cain if he was left out for more than 10 minutes.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:05 PM

402 posts, read 811,412 times
The breed is really the determining factor. You can't specify a "perfect" temp for "dogs". You really have to be breed specific.

I have a Siberian Husky. Right now it's 80 degrees during the day, so I don't leave her outside or take her for a walk until at night when the temp starts to drop and it gets down to 50 or less. Even 50 degrees is still too warm for her to really be active. The colder the temp gets the more energy she gets and the longer I have to have her out running/pulling to give her the exercise she needs.

So while a chihuahua might start shivering from 50 degrees, 50 degrees is still too hot for my Sibe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs