Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2009, 12:24 PM

122 posts, read 200,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
The facts are clear that there are some breeds that are much more inclined to be vicious than other breeds. It has nothing to do with being uneducated or ignorant, it's fact.

The facts are also clear that it takes a knowledgeable owner and trainer to properly socialize one of those breeds. The problem with that is it only mitigates the chances that the animal will hurt someone, it does not remove them. Yes, any dog can bite, but some are instinctually more inclined to do so than others.

Now, before you bring up the fact that there are small breeds who are at high risk for biting, I know that is true as well. They aren't nearly as likely to permanently maim or kill someone when they go on the attack, though.

There are certain breeds that I believe should be allowed to die out and not be bred anymore. I know that you rabidly pro 'bullybreed' people are going to flame me to hell and gone for making that statement, but it is my opinion and I stick by it.

As far as the original question goes: I would not own any dog that makes my homeowner's insurance rise simply by what breed they happen to be.

Here we go again...

And I have yet to get an intellectual answer from the people that label pit bulls as a "dangerous breed". And the question remains is this:

Why is it that the APBT has been around since the 1800's, yes the 1800's and only in the past oh 30 years have we heard about them attacking people? Why? Because the media does not always have an accurate description of the dog that is involved in the attack. Many times dogs are labeled pit bulls when they are anything but. Many people are breeding pit bulls with other breeds of dogs and bad breeding tends to produce bad offspring. The dog attacks we do hear on the news do not happen out of the blue. A dog does not one day decide to attack. There are signs that are obvious but the owner chooses to ignore them or isn't aware. Stats are often exaggerated and many times websites like dogsbite.org spews myths to make it look like pit bulls are our number one enemy.

And if the APBT was SO dangerous, how on earth do you explain the dogs that are taken from dogfighting rings and placed in homes? C'mon you have to do better than that.

I will agree with you that this breed is not for everyone. Too many people get into the breed without fully comprehending the propensity for DA. Or if their pit bull is exhibiting signs of HA, they think it is normal for a pit bull to be this way when they are anything but.

Please do more research and dig into the history books of the APBT. You will easily find out this breed is not dangerous, it is the humans that have destroyed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 01:23 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
The facts are clear that there are some breeds that are much more inclined to be vicious than other breeds. It has nothing to do with being uneducated or ignorant, it's fact.

The facts are also clear that it takes a knowledgeable owner and trainer to properly socialize one of those breeds. The problem with that is it only mitigates the chances that the animal will hurt someone, it does not remove them. Yes, any dog can bite, but some are instinctually more inclined to do so than others.

Now, before you bring up the fact that there are small breeds who are at high risk for biting, I know that is true as well. They aren't nearly as likely to permanently maim or kill someone when they go on the attack, though.

There are certain breeds that I believe should be allowed to die out and not be bred anymore. I know that you rabidly pro 'bullybreed' people are going to flame me to hell and gone for making that statement, but it is my opinion and I stick by it.

As far as the original question goes: I would not own any dog that makes my homeowner's insurance rise simply by what breed they happen to be.
Amazing how one can ruin a perfectly "fun" thread in no time at all. Thanks

Old 10-19-2009, 01:26 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
Back on track.....
I prefer medium to larger dogs. Not a fan of the little things. I'd like my dog to be larger than some of the cats I have.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:37 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,917 times
that's a good point, if my dog was the same size as my cats, she'd be getting her butt kicked left and right! after about a year though, we finally have near-complete dog/cat harmony though. the last holdout, my cat shermer, will sit 2 feet away from sadie as long as sadie's not looking at her. but she gets all hiss-spitty if sadie turns her way or gets closer than that.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:02 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,696,907 times
I pretty much love them all!! I love my GSD but I find myself attracted to fancy dogs a poodle with the eye catching haircut might be just my thing

Old 10-19-2009, 06:11 PM

605 posts, read 2,989,626 times
I've only ever had mutts. As I get older, I like smaller dogs better so I can lift them and carry them if need be. I'm hoping my puppy tops off at about 30 lbs.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:21 PM

519 posts, read 1,377,368 times
I would say I have to love them all also, I love big dogs, sm dogs, med dogs. I have 2 bigger dogs now and I couldn't be happier. I have loved all my pets and each for their own personality more than anything.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:33 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
M, I'd never own a St. Bernard because I had a bunch of bad experiences with one.

My cousin has this huge Saint named Margaret. She was as large as a Shetland Pony. Had a huge mouth.

And she wasn't a 'dry mouth' Saint.

So when her drool got really long, my cousin would announce "Drool Alert" and we would all raise pieces of newspapers because we knew that at any time Margaret was going to shake her head and send those long ropes of drool flying across the room and you'd just better have your protective shield engaged or you were going to be decorated with Margaret saliva.

Don't get me wrong, Margaret was a sweet dog, but I vowed I'd never have a dog for whom one had to issue Drool Alerts--and so far, I haven't.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:48 PM

830 posts, read 2,712,056 times
I would only own a dog who already existed and needed a home. Breeds, schmeeds!

Back when I was just a cat lady, I imagined that someday I'd have a big Heinz 57 I'd found somewhere. I'd take it hiking and all of that. It'd probably be brown or black with that look about it that comes from generations of homeless/feral dog breeding, where they begin to just look like just plain dogs.

And then I ended up with a silly looking poodle-bichon-whatever-someone-thought-was-cute-to-put-together who is just the love of my life. And strangely enough, she looks just right hiking up in the mountains with me.

She's got plenty "wrong". She's often anxious, sometimes hyper, sometimes shrill, sometimes chases my cats, shrieks when she sees big dogs, gets bossy when she sees little dogs, not 100% on the housetraining, and always thoroughly embarrassing to introduce to people (because of the dirty looks, shrinking, "you're gonna murder me, aren't you!" body language, etc). But man, oh man, how could I have gotten a better dog than her?

Just goes to show, a person can be perfectly satisfied with something they never considered before!

Old 10-19-2009, 06:54 PM

519 posts, read 1,377,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcats View Post
I would only own a dog who already existed and needed a home. Breeds, schmeeds!

Back when I was just a cat lady, I imagined that someday I'd have a big Heinz 57 I'd found somewhere. I'd take it hiking and all of that. It'd probably be brown or black with that look about it that comes from generations of homeless/feral dog breeding, where they begin to just look like just plain dogs.

And then I ended up with a silly looking poodle-bichon-whatever-someone-thought-was-cute-to-put-together who is just the love of my life. And strangely enough, she looks just right hiking up in the mountains with me.

She's got plenty "wrong". She's often anxious, sometimes hyper, sometimes shrill, sometimes chases my cats, shrieks when she sees big dogs, gets bossy when she sees little dogs, not 100% on the housetraining, and always thoroughly embarrassing to introduce to people (because of the dirty looks, shrinking, "you're gonna murder me, aren't you!" body language, etc). But man, oh man, how could I have gotten a better dog than her?

Just goes to show, a person can be perfectly satisfied with something they never considered before!

That was really beautiful. I see my dogs as my kids so if they have accidents, or eat something they are not supposed to or are just plain being ornary well they are my kids.
We would go to jail if we got rid of our kids for some of the reasons people get rid of their dogs??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs