U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-02-2012, 01:03 PM

153 posts, read 497,006 times
One of the only breeds I would never own is the Akita. I've trained quite a few of them and they have all been foul tempered. Apologizes to anyone that owns an Akita and loves the breed, but you couldn't pay me to live with one, I've often considered not even accepting them as clients because they are such a pain in my ass.

I will always have Aussies, I own two now and they're my little co-pilots. I also have a Smooth Collie and would like to always have at least one of them.

My next dog (summer of next year) will be a Borzoi, my first sight hound in a sea of herding dogs, should be interesting!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 01:22 PM

956 posts, read 811,522 times
I currently own a Great Dane and will most likely continue to own breeds of the mastiff ( molosser) family. Their temperament and personalities are truly intriguing. Breeds I would NOT own would be anything in the toy group, give me a cat instead LOL.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:00 PM

1,414 posts, read 2,411,323 times
I dearly love my dog, but never again will I get a dog that has the qualities of a sighthound. I just heard a massive crash, and it was her trying to smash through the storm door to get a squirrel on the deck. Between her injuries (she rips off toenails trying to climb trees to get squirrels),the noise ("screaming") and her extreme prey drive, I always worry about her escaping. She's so fast. If she gets over the fence or slips out the door or gate, I would probably never see her again if she saw something move in the distance. Now I feel the need to reinforce the storm door with plexiglas or something so she doesn't go through it. She's nuts, but the sweetest dog and the best little snuggler ever. I wish she would calm down. Sigh.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:08 PM

217 posts, read 126,722 times
I've always had Labs and they do hold a special place in my heart, I could live without the shedding sometimes though! My sister has little crossbreeds and they are all gorgeous in their own little ways with their different personalities. It really depends on the individual dog. I'm sure that if I were to get another dog now that I would go to the pound. I guess I could come home with anything really!

Old 01-02-2012, 04:24 PM

7,783 posts, read 7,802,434 times
I would never in my life own a chow chow . My sister owned one for years and that dog was constantly biting kids and me . Whenever I would go over to her house I could never enjoy myself because I was constantly keeping my eye on that dog and when I would head to the bathroom that dog would not take his eyes off of me and would growl everytime I moved . One day he did manage to get me and bit me and i still have the scars from him . Nope no chow for me and from what people have told me they are all like that .

Old 01-02-2012, 06:27 PM

835 posts, read 2,076,904 times
I've had a few dogs in my life. Two poodles, a lhaso/shih tzu mix, a cocker spaniel, a lab/bassett hound mix, a pure heinz 57 (looked like a red fox), a chow chow (very uncharacteristic for the breed-a total sweetheart), and a german shepherd. Loved them all. I just recently adopted a dog that I thought I would never want in a million years. Some kind of WIRE HAIRED terrier (shelter dog, sorta looks like an Irish Terrier). Never liked Wire Haired dogs. Always like soft-coated (usually long haired) dogs. However, personality over looks (although she has the cutest face ever!).

I like all dogs but I don't think I would own a drooler because that just grosses me out and I don't want to scrub furniture, floors, carpets, walls, etc. Call me shallow but slime does not appeal to me. Otherwise, I am open to most breeds (but especially hairy mutts).

Old 01-02-2012, 08:36 PM

3,838 posts, read 5,265,997 times
My favorite dogs are Spitz-like and look like foxes, though my dog of 15 years is a Whippet Rat Terrier cross who's very sweet, very independent, very quiet and clean and does not have any prey drive--how did that happen?

The dogs I don't care for are any with a pushed in face and bug eyes (like the Pug) and those who slobber. MY cousin had a sweet St. Bernard, but oh that slobber would fly when she shook her head.

And dogs that yap, yap, yap and bounce off walls..a calm dog is a treasure. Old fashioned farm collies are very nice.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:48 AM

2 posts, read 1,457 times
I don't have a breed of dog I would specifically avoid however, I do prefer "livestock guarding breeds"

My favorites are:
Central Asian Ovcharka (Alabai/Sage Koochi)
Armenian Gampr
Caucasian Ovcharka
Kangal
Pyrenean Mastiff
Great Pyrenees
Anatolian Shepherd

These dogs both keep you and your family safe, plus they have a human/cat like personality that is very special to connect with!

Let me know your favorite breeds (:

Old 12-15-2013, 06:46 PM

5,328 posts, read 11,635,892 times
wow this thread originated in 2008

Old 12-16-2013, 11:52 AM

1,424 posts, read 784,744 times
i dont think there's any breed im really opposed to, i love all dogs. that said certain dogs are more condusive to my lifestyle and i would lean towards. i have an olde english bulldogge, a 105 pound slobbery shedding buddy fo mine. my gf is allergic. we deal with it but if i were to stay with her longterm i think future dogs would have to be some of the breeds known to be better for people with allergies as its a lot of work and money keeping the house vacuumed, buying allergen sprays, not sure if they work or not, going through socks a lot as my dogs hairs weave themselves into things and never come out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs