Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 05:47 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspercasper22 View Post
I do not care about tiny dogs, large dogs or any dogs who need to get their hair done more than me.
I'm with you on the tiny and the hair done part! I like big dogs best. I currently own a pittie mix, a GSD mix, and GSP-all rescues. Like another, I will never buy a dog again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 05:48 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times
I just can't do the little ones...(me, who has the Shih now)...chihuahuas, toy poodles, rat terriers...any type of hysterical small dog makes me want to cry. Of course, I had a 4.5 lbs. Yorkie for 17 years, so I don't know what my point is here. If I could have anything, it would be an APBT except that our town fell victim to BSL. Hmmm....getting too old for the really huge guys like the Rotties and Mastiffs unless they are old too, lol!, so my next pick is the muttsky - for purebred I think I'd like to try greyhound.

Oh crap - just bring 'em all....

Old 09-17-2008, 05:53 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,424,368 times
We have two sister Maltese, they are hypoallergenic and wonderful animal companion...

Old 09-17-2008, 06:12 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,904 times
I like them all.....especially the ones that no one else wants! Big, small, young, old, fat, skinny, long hair, short hair, no hair! No preference here.

Last edited by Blondie621; 09-17-2008 at 06:22 PM..

Old 09-17-2008, 06:31 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,927 times
I don't really like short haired dogs with skinny legs so I probably would not ever want a rat terrier. Plus I'm scared to death of rats so I wouldn't have to say that word all the time. Also, I like big paws!

All that said, I spent two years talking my husband into letting us get a dog. For two years I was obsessed! I would have taken the skinniest, shortest haired, pointy footed dog in town - I wanted a dog so badly!

Old 09-17-2008, 06:42 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times
Hard question to answer as I know I would take in just about anything that needed a home if I met it and felt that bond with it. That said Herding dogs and sighthounds are my favorite groups along with mutts and I would consider a pitbull as I have met some fantastic pits and loved Artie a pit at best friends when I was there. He was the best dog!.

Some Breeds like Goldens and Bernese mountain dogs I love but would have to really think twice about one as they are so darn prone to cancers. Terriers and small toy breeds would probably be my last choice though . I just can not say never as one never knows ,some odd little dog you may have never considered may come up to you and right away you feel that bond.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:54 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
I am not now, nor have I ever been a dog person. However, I have given this issue some thought in the past.

The dog breeds I like are the more independent, less needy types. Although I do not particularly like the looks of Chow Chows, and I know, that for insurance purposes they are considered a "dangerous breed", I also know that they are rather independent dogs, temperament wise.

I would also consider a Siberian Husky for the same reason. Another aspect of both dogs that I would think is neat is that you can spin their fur into yarn, which is a hobby of mine (well spinning WOOL is, anyway). Also, Huskies are very light eaters which is a good thing too, from an economical standpoint.

There was a dog once, that I met. It was a Malmute but the biggest one I have ever seen in my life. It was only 9 months old and weighed almost 200 pounds. The owner told me that it was from a line of McKenzie River Huskies that pulled boats up the McKenzie River 100 or so years ago. (I am not sure if I am spelling McKenzie right). Anyway, it was a fascinating story and I always thought it would be interesting to have a dog like that.

The dog that I would never, ever in a million years want would be a Golden or Labrador Retriever. They are by far the neediest dogs I have ever seen in my life. I couldn't stand it.

But for now, I'll be happy with just my two cats.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-17-2008, 06:54 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,171,257 times
Well, my favorite breed of all time is German Shepherd Dog, i probably wouldn't own any other breed, however, if GSD wasn't available i would be going for Belgian Malinous, my second choice of breed.

I wouldn't own any other breed otherwise, call me crazy, i'm that dedicated to GSDs

Old 09-17-2008, 08:19 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,004,878 times
I can't do small or tiny dogs. Anything less than 30lbs is too small for me and I won't own one. I love the med to large dogs and that's the only type of dog I will own.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:28 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,910,487 times
My childhood experience was with big dogs and working dogs, and that's what I loved. I had Labs, Redbone coonhounds, Great Danes, even a St. Bernard. I always said I'd never have what I called a "useless little frou-frou dog." Then I rescued a tiny blind toy Poodle that a breeder was going to euthanize. Just until I could find it another home, of course--but that never happened. I fell in love. I loved that dog more than I ever thought it was possible to love a dog. Then came the Shih-Tzu. And the standard American Eskimo. Somewhere along the way I realized that there really isn't any breed of dog I wouldn't have. Each one is different, each one is special. I have to admit I'm terribly attracted to Standard Poodles, Salukis, Rhodesian Ridgebacks and APBT's. The grace, strength and economy of movement of these dogs is an awesome thing to behold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs