Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2008, 09:41 PM

211 posts, read 402,548 times

Advertisements

I love all dogs but the only breed I've ever owned is German Shepherds, always rescues...just love em.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 09:50 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,431,509 times
Let's see.

Boxers and other high energy dogs - I have a boxer now, I love him dearly, but I'm not active enough for him. So, I get more walks and running around than I want and he gets less. But, lesson learned. I need dogs that get tired after walks around the block.

Long-eared dogs: Stinky ears are icky.
Dogs with long coats and that require a lot of grooming: I can barely do my own hair.
Hairless dogs: They're interesting, but not my thing.

So, my perfect dog: a lazy, short-eared, short-haired dog.

Old 10-11-2008, 01:04 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Dogs I absolutly will not own...Chow ,Chow , Chow and Chow. I have had my best luck with good ol' Mutts. Strays we took in or rescued. These critters always seemed to bond and give unflinching loyalty. I had a coy dog ( coyote and black lab) that was the best freind and family dog ever. I would have felt sorry for the poor fool who tried to hurt us when he was around....especially if someone tried to hurt the kids. My wife swears by Norwegian Elk hounds and I tend to agree ....very good family dog if one HAS to have a pure bred.

Old 10-11-2008, 05:53 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
I'm not a poodle person--that was the kind of dog I had growing up (2 of our 3 dogs were poodles)--my parents liked them because they are smart and don't shed (good point there).

I don't like little 'rat dogs' or pocket pooches.

I don't find them personally endearing. They bark too much! Some are family dogs and not very personable.

I like big dogs who are soppy and who don't know they weigh 50 lbs when they flop on you.

Our dog is a pointer/lab mix and she is a bit too high energy for me (constantly needing to go out or be entertained and be WITH us). I love her but I don't know if I'd get another 'pointer' or 'lab' mix.

Whatever dog we get in the future, it will be a rescue dog!!

Old 10-12-2008, 08:33 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,078,355 times
I've had Blue Heelers (no luck with reds at all) since 1970 and I wouldn't even consider another breed.They are members of the family.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:38 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,149,074 times
[quote=riveree;5344321]In a perfect world, an Irish Wolfhound, but I don't have the land for that kind of dog. quote]

we have an Irish Wolfhound, you don't need a lot of land really, we live in a small house, he is so docile and quiet not at all boisterous, we do live near fields so he can have a bit of a gallup on a daily basis but anymore than a 2 mile walk and he is worn out!

Old 10-12-2008, 09:54 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,149,074 times
I love dogs! I wish I could have so many!

Dogs I would love to add to our family:
Shiloh Shepherd (absolutely loves these)
GSD
Italian Spinone (gorgeous dogs)
Malamute or husky
Pitbull or any staff type breed
Presa Canario
Rottweiler
Boerboel
Deerhound
Saluki
Rhodesian Ridgeback
Gordon Setter
Borzoi
Leonberger
English Pointer
Vizla
Newfoundland

Smaller breeds:
Brussels Griffon
Pug
Rat Terrier
Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen
Lakeland or Patterdale Terrier
Wheaten Terrier
Jack Russell
Dandi Dinmont

I could go on and on!

Old 10-12-2008, 10:00 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,217 times
Id take anything big. Mstiffs, shepards, St. Bernards, etc. Smallest I'd go is a cocker spaniel.

Will NOT own

Bischon Frise
Poodle
Chihuahua -barking rats is all they are
Pomeranian
Pekenese (sp?)

Pretty much any toy breed. Any dog of mine must weigh 40+ lbs.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:11 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,644,605 times
I have two Yorkies and a Jack Russell mix. I still think the best breed is the Maltese. They are fearless, friendly and fun!

I enjoy the toy breeds and at this point in my life, they are the only breeds I'd own.

Old 10-12-2008, 12:38 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
I've had Blue Heelers (no luck with reds at all) since 1970 and I wouldn't even consider another breed.They are members of the family.
I have to agree that the heelers are good dogs. I live in cattle country so there are a LOT of these around here. Lol but I'll never put my back to anyone elses cowdog...they like to do sneak attacks and then scoot for cover. Very territorial type of canine. I've lost one or two pairs of Wranglers to feisty heelers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs