Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 02:21 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,980,366 times

Advertisements

Just curious, are there any breeds out there you would automatically rule out owning? Or, if you are even pickier, what are the only breeds you would own. I hope that makes sense.

The list I would own is shorter, so I'll list it.

Breeds I'd own (off the top of my head):

Rat Terrier
Jack Russell Terrier
Patterdale Terrier
Labrador
APBT/AST
Border Collie
Boston Terrier
French Bulldog

I think that's it. Although I'm sure if I met the right of any breed or mix I could change my tune. The one I own know is a classic pound puppy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 02:40 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,276,069 times
ok I base some of my breed choices on the smell and drool abilities of the dog. The less the better!

I like soft fur dogs, bouncy dogs, pleaser but calm personalities. I'd go find a pound puppy again and it would probably be a herding breed or spaniel type.

I do not want to own a dog thats head is bigger then mine(personal preference).
I'm not into owning labs, bully breeds, boxers, huskies,malamutes and some terrier breeds ....but they are fun dogs to visit.

I love herding breeds and hunter breeds, I love the drive, energy and loyal personalities(even though I think most dogs are loyal to their owners). I love it that my dog doubles back constantly to check in with me. I love it that herding breeds are so easy to train and sometimes come across very human. That being said my favorite dogs of all time(minus my childhood collie who was human!) are pound pup mixes like my guy

Old 09-17-2008, 02:46 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,385,615 times
I wouldn't seek any breed, although am drawn to the herding dogs. (Bad experience with first adoptee, a beautiful springer who had that inbred "rage" flaw.
I would seek out mutts that had some genetic input from the kind of dogs I favor- aussie shepherds, border collies, cattle dogs. That's the cool thing about adoption- you can pick your type, which for me is older (or real old) herding dog mixes.
Somehow I also have a beagle (some basset in there?) and a large white dog with spots who might have some pit. At this point, I'd hesitate to take a dog who was more extreme in age (meaning young) or substantialy larger or smaller than my gang, who are basically about 35-65 pounds.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:36 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
More general characteristics. I'm not interested in huge dogs, tiny dogs, or very hairy/high shedding dogs.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:51 PM

692 posts, read 3,855,816 times
This is a pretty funny thread because I told myself I'd never have a toy breed or anything tiny.. Never say never because I have a Shih Tzu that only weighs 15 pounds.

I don't know that I would own another litte dog, but I do like the fact I can just pick Ted up. But the long hair, we can't go for real long walks (2 miles at most) are two things I don't like about the Shih Tzu. Though I do LOVE Ted with everything I have.

However a list of dogs I WOULD own:
*APBT or AST
*Great Dane
Saluki
*English Bulldog
English Mastiff
*Cane Corso

Old 09-17-2008, 04:04 PM

702 posts, read 2,523,743 times
Fun thread idea Mike!

I used to spend time pouring over my AKC book and Dog Encyclopedia books as a kid. I loved to imagine what it would be like to own any of the many breeds out there. I found the only ones I could'nt warm up to were the Mexican Hairless or the Chinese Crested. Although the faces were cute in a way, I couldn't get past the no fur thing.

I have had Shelties, a Malti-Poo and now a large terrier mix (probably pit, but didn't know the parents). I can usually find something I like about most dogs. When we have adopted I often find I have a hard time picking one because I tend to like them all. I especially fall for sad eyes which has gotten me more work than I wanted. Yes, I always seem to end up selecting the more complicated or quirky dogs, but that's ok because they need homes too.

Some exotic dogs I liked from my encyclopedia days were the Jamathund, Billy, and I was/am a fan of the Saluki too. Some not so exotic are the smooth Collie (after the Shelties I can only imagine the hair and DH isn't so fond of a hairy home), Gordon Setter, and Boxer.

I am finding I really like the short haired sleek looking dogs and I am very drawn to the bully breeds these days. I would love an OEB!

All this and I can't forget the good old Heinz 57 - they are great too. I'll take any that I connect with.

So many dogs so little time!

Last edited by Calidreemer; 09-17-2008 at 04:21 PM..

Old 09-17-2008, 04:12 PM

17 posts, read 163,016 times
I do not care about tiny dogs, large dogs or any dogs who need to get their hair done more than me.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:20 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,612,115 times
I have a french bulldog and some borzoi now. I will always own borzoi. I love the sighthounds. Borzoi are for the most part extremely quiet. No more frenchies, they bark, fart and overheat way to much!! I owned danes for years, never will own another. Their life expectancy sucks and it is so heartbreaking to lose them so soon.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:33 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,938,142 times
Easy...French Bulldogs!!!!!!!!

Old 09-17-2008, 04:37 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,564 times
Quote:
I used to spend time pouring over my AKC book and Dog Encyclopedia books as a kid.
Did you name them too?? I could never have enough of those books!

I *thought* I would never own a rott. Don't like the leaking, drooling thing, and how massive they can be. However, fate landed us a rott mix, who we love to death even though he leaks and drools.

I also always wanted a saluki. Just love their shape (and all of those types).

But my all time favorite is the Mutt. I won't ever buy a dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs