U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2009, 01:15 PM

2,406 posts, read 5,340,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
On another board a lady said she called police about a dog in the car,windows open halfway and about 75 degrees out.
Everyone praised her for it.

Isn't it getting to be overkill on this issue?

My husband is not well and often opts for waiting in the car while I go in the store....even this summer when it has been 80 and over with no shade.
Nobody yet has reported me for endangering him.
I am in no way defending people who leave pets or children in cars since the temperatures can climb surprisingly quickly to dangerous levels but shouldn't there be some common sense applied?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
:s mack::ham d::mad :
How about if we put several sweaters, scarf, gloves then a Winter coat on you. Leave you in a hot car, with the windows down a tad.
You should NEVER...I SAY NEVER...leave any animal or child in the car alone in the heat...or Winter...or anytime.
That takes only stupidity & ignorance to do that.

YES... I applaude the person who called the police & I hope the person responsible gets fined out the "gazoo" BIG TIME .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 01:20 PM

2,063 posts, read 5,999,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
:s mack::ham d::mad :
How about if we put several sweaters, scarf, gloves then a Winter coat on you. Leave you in a hot car, with the windows down a tad.
You should NEVER...I SAY NEVER...leave any animal or child in the car alone in the heat...or Winter...or anytime.
That takes only stupidity & ignorance to do that.

YES... I applaude the person who called the police & I hope the person responsible gets fined out the "gazoo" BIG TIME .
75 deg isn't hot, even for a dog. Unless it was left for a LONG time in the blazing sun, the car would be very comfortable with the windows 1/2 way down.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:48 AM

19,597 posts, read 19,714,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Presumably, your husband can roll down the window, or go outside if it gets too warm. Further, he has better heat management physiology than a dog, who cannot sweat -- panting is the dog's only relief, and cannot pant enough to cool its body in a small, heated area, even WITH the windows opened.

What is dangerous for the dog might be comfortable for you. Don't leave your pet in the car, please.
Actually, he has never had to do any of those things.
You see, I am as careful with the husband as I am with the dog.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:51 PM

20 posts, read 44,486 times
I take my Min Pin everywhere! And when it's time to go in the store, I put her in her backback and take her in. She loves the car ride. She loves going to the store. The beauty of having a small dog!

Old 07-28-2009, 09:46 PM

354 posts, read 1,082,971 times
People should not be so hair triggered on raising the alarm. A few minutes are tolerable in any event. It would be no kindness to tie your dog off on the car bumper while you run in to pay for your gas. If possible, don't take the dog on errands where you do not have any choice but leave them in the car or someplace even more inhospital and dangerous. It is a tough choice whether to bake in the car or fry on the asphalt. We have 115F days here.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:10 AM

4,541 posts, read 13,078,892 times
Default Dogs and Heat Stroke...

I realize this is an old thread but it's an important subject. I found this article that may or may not be already mentioned in the above posts...

There are lots of new dog owners that may not be aware of how quickly dogs can overheat - even on days when we think it's not all that hot.

" Take precautions for at risk dogs when the heat index reaches 75 F. The single most frequent cause for heat stroke in dogs is overheating in a parked car. If this article accomplishes nothing else, I hope it educates readers on the importance of leaving Buddy home, not only on hot days but on warm days as well."

Excerpted from this article

Dogs and Heat Stroke: Understanding the Risks of Overheating | Suite101.com

Old 12-08-2009, 06:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,804 times
so what is the difference in leaving a dog in a car or leaving him in his kennel? You know not every dog breed has "winter coats" and "multiple scarves" on all the time... I understand people just want to "help" the dog, but come on, lets all grow up a little bit, use some common sense and move on. I personally take my weim w/ me everywhere and loves sitting in the car waiting for me, he hates being home in his kennel... so why wouldn't I take him w/ me and leave him in my car? As long as it isn't blazing hot or freezing cold he can come, and although you may think it is wrong, for me leaving him home to bark and droull all over his kennel and scrape his nose raw... that is wrong and cruel!!

Old 12-08-2009, 07:08 PM

1,422 posts, read 4,607,808 times
Quote:
A few minutes are tolerable in any event. It would be no kindness to tie your dog off on the car bumper while you run in to pay for your gas. If possible, don't take the dog on errands where you do not have any choice but leave them in the car or someplace even more inhospital and dangerous. It is a tough choice whether to bake in the car or fry on the asphalt. We have 115F days here.
HUH? A dog could die in a few minutes in a car in hot weather. Have you read the prior posts? The choice is not to tie it out on asphalt or leave it in the car, it's to leave the animal in a climate controlled environment AT HOME.

fcsoccer, it's about leaving the dog in a car on a hot or cold day, not the moderate days (when using judgment about parking in direct sun, etc.). The difference between leaving a dog in the heat or in its kennel at home could easily be life and death.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:22 AM

10 posts, read 38,560 times
A poem:

I tasted your soup
and the crackers were soggy

Keep your eyes off my coup
and you won't see my doggy

You fight your crusade
and the country gets crappy

My dog's still in the car
Because that makes her happy

Happy Holidays, from an evil dog killer :-)

Old 12-10-2009, 09:12 AM

7,422 posts, read 13,655,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcsoccer11 View Post
so what is the difference in leaving a dog in a car or leaving him in his kennel?
the difference is that his kennel probably doesn't consist mainly of glass and act like a greenhouse.

if i need to go somewhere where my dog can't go when i'm out in the car, then she doesn't come with me. pretty simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or