U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 09:50 AM

4,334 posts, read 12,199,711 times

Advertisements

Reminds me, I have called here in Florida about a few dogs left in cars when it was 90 degrees....cops laugh at me! They say, well mam I am sure there are people sitting in cars waiting for someone in the store to come out too! Here they do not care! Sickening. I went to Walmart one night and some idiot had a custom made steel CAGE made for the back of his truck. It was low and small and had a divider in the middle. It had hardly any air holes and their was one big dog in each side...on the one side not only was there a big dog but they stuffed a little one in there too! Those dogs looked like they were gonna pass out any minute..they could not stand up in that thing. Ones paws were sticking out the side. It was 87 degrees out that night. I saw this on my way into the store and said to myself....who the f--- would do this to animals. Went inside and told a cashier, she happened to be from NY (an animal lover). She told me to call the cops right away.....I did and they told me they could not send an officer...that people were hot outside too! I hate this state! Law enforcement does nothing here for animal protection! If I called on this in Jersey the cops would be there in minutes and given that owner a serious warning and fine! I still have the plate number of that jerk. That cage needs to be removed from his truck and taken away....those poor dogs. I do not even know how he got them in there. I would not even put my chihuahua in something that small and low. And these were big dogs in there! I was in that store for almost 45 minutes and when I came out those poor dogs were still there..they were licking my fingers, panting, and crying....shame on people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 09:55 AM

10,091 posts, read 36,766,044 times
There in lies the problem......common sense. I dare to say, those leaving their animals in a hot car for any length of time, lacks it!

Old 09-23-2008, 10:39 AM

3,627 posts, read 12,784,772 times
I think common sense needs to prevail. If the dog is in distress then raise a ruckus if not, assess the situation and see if you feel comfortable leaving.

Even in direct sun with windows partially down it can heat up real quick. I went from an SUV with all windows wide open [except for the rear quarter panels] to a truck with a camper with windoors [all oopen wide] because the SUV simply heated up too much parked in the sun with a windshield shade, as we often must do.

For the dogs in the truck in the box, sounds like a standard hunting dog box and they can be, believe it or not, much cooler than you think. They are not designed for the dogs to stand up and turn around and driving is safer if the dogs cannot do that as they can't get thrown around as much.

I do keep a remote monitor in the back of my truck [with camper shell and crates] and really don't worry unless the temperature exceeds 90 based on personal experience with my dogs under these conditions. For other dogs, that temperature may be too high.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:43 AM

342 posts, read 1,635,918 times
I agree: use common sense. Unfortunately, some people are trigger happy and can be overzealous even with good intentions.

It's important to note that while heat is one thing, humidity is another. Even if it's not a hot day out, if it's really humid, it can quickly become difficult to breathe.

Also keep in mind that certain breeds of dogs (namely those with short muzzles) are more prone to overheating and respiratory difficulties. If I saw a bulldog in a car on a warm day, I'd be concerned much more so than if I saw a lab.

If it's uncomfortable for me to sit in the car, then the dog definitely should not be left alone in there. Otherwise, unless a dog was showing overt discomfort, I would assess the situation and/or keep an eye on dog/car instead of running to call the cops.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:59 PM

1,455 posts, read 3,575,426 times
I have called to complain about this issue a few times. Just recently it was low 80's, I went into the supermarket and could hear this dog barking. When I came out less than 10 min later, he was still barking. I got in my car (all 4 windows open about a hand's width) and it was HOT. I find the car with the dog and only 2 windows were just barely cracked. So I pulled out my reciept for the phone #, called the store and told them I was calling animal control. Then called animal control.

I am sure the person figured it wasn't too hot, they'd only be a min, ect. But when you are occupied your perspective is different. It had to be a minimum of 10 min the dog was there, probably alot longer. If they are called to account for it, by the store manager or animal control, it will make them consider it more seriously the next time.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:08 PM

19,664 posts, read 19,774,434 times
For those who say they would just never leave them in the car at all, what about when you're traveling alone?
See, sometimes there's not a lot of options.
I don't know what I'd do if the situation definately called for intervention and the police wouldn't respond.Does the Humane Society have any authority in a case like that?
It wouldn't be an easy decision to break someones window but how could you not,if the animal was showing signs of distress
I have to admit I can't say for sure what I'd do.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:03 PM

5,500 posts, read 20,017,811 times
If you've ever had to call Triple A, you know, it's pretty easy to break into a car!

Old 03-08-2009, 01:46 PM

319 posts, read 857,475 times
Default dogs in cars

ur dog goes every were with us.we always bring water for her.we park in the shade even if we have to walk a lot farther.in very extreme cases ill find some were close by while someone else goes in.then call my cell the number is........oh never mind.if all else fails we have water to wet her down if we think shes to hot.dogs will lay in small amounts of water if given the op.course up here theres a river creek pond lake every 1500ft.so cooling down bear is not too much of a problem.then we all go shoping smelling like a wet dog.and the car.u just got to love that family member huh.we dont have to many stifling days.usually a breeze off the ice fields.in ak they say if u dont like the weather here just drive down the road a few miles.and by god that is the truth.we love or rot&white shepard mix & we are not above giving her ice water.the only worse thing to her was being left behind. oh ya some folks have nothing to do all day but police other actions by calling the police if in thier opinion your not doing the rite thing.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:54 PM

10,732 posts, read 31,722,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
On another board a lady said she called police about a dog in the car,windows open halfway and about 75 degrees out.
Everyone praised her for it.

Isn't it getting to be overkill on this issue?

My husband is not well and often opts for waiting in the car while I go in the store....even this summer when it has been 80 and over with no shade.
Nobody yet has reported me for endangering him.
I am in no way defending people who leave pets or children in cars since the temperatures can climb surprisingly quickly to dangerous levels but shouldn't there be some common sense applied?
The point is that your husband can open the car door and get out if he gets too hot, he can call for help, he can fend for himself.

Whatever temp it is outside, its MUCH higher then that inside a car.

When I lived in Texas I had two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, they LOVED to ride in the car. If it was hot outside and I was going to a drive through or like to my Moms house where I could bring them in, I brought them along. In the winter on several occasions I brought them with me, put a bowl of water on the floor, left two windows cracked and went in the store. They LOVED to ride in the car.

However here in Florida they only time my dog, Cinders rode with me was when we went to a drive through, she loved it.

I think if I were confronted with a dog in distress I would be hard pressed to NOT break into the car just to get the dog out if nothing else could be done. Although I should imagine going into the store for example and pitching a fit until an announcement was made might do the trick as well.

Don't get a pet if you can't handle the responsibility.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:08 PM

319 posts, read 857,475 times
Default contact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
For those who say they would just never leave them in the car at all, what about when you're traveling alone?
See, sometimes there's not a lot of options.
I don't know what I'd do if the situation definately called for intervention and the police wouldn't respond.Does the Humane Society have any authority in a case like that?
It wouldn't be an easy decision to break someones window but how could you not,if the animal was showing signs of distress
I have to admit I can't say for sure what I'd do.
get the licence of the car yr make model go in the store or were ever u think they maybe and try to page them?get a squirt gun & water the dog.the windows were down some.a dog cools through its mouth & muzzle .ever see a dog in the winter put snow on its muzzle.sled dogs like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or