Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 02:13 PM

16,671 posts, read 17,435,450 times

Advertisements

As for the person left in the car, try the same thing wearing a fur coat, hat etc and see how you feel then.

I have read an autopsy of a dog left in a vehicle and I was going to tell of some of the findings, but it is not nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 02:15 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,398,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
On another board a lady said she called police about a dog in the car,windows open halfway and about 75 degrees out.
Everyone praised her for it.

Isn't it getting to be overkill on this issue?

My husband is not well and often opts for waiting in the car while I go in the store....even this summer when it has been 80 and over with no shade.
Nobody yet has reported me for endangering him.
I am in no way defending people who leave pets or children in cars since the temperatures can climb surprisingly quickly to dangerous levels but shouldn't there be some common sense applied?
Well for one thing, I'm assuming your husband has apposable thumbs, which means he can open the car door and step into the shade if he has to. Dogs can't do that, and they are wearing fur. Does your husband wear a fur coat in the summer, probably not !

The problem is that people who leave their animals in a hot car do not apply common sense. They are stupid !!!

Old 03-10-2009, 05:03 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
We take our dog in the car and sometimes leave her for a few minutes, but being in VT it's more about 'how cold' it is not hot.

Judgment goes a long way.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:11 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,923 times
Default Leaving Dog in Car

I too have reported someone for leaving a dog in a car but the temperature outside was well over 80 degrees and there were NO windows open. I stayed outside the car where he was until the cops got there and the woman who left him came out. Made me angry. Was the woman mad at me..no..embarrassed if anything else.

Your husband waiting in the car for you is not the same issue at all. Unless he is totally paralyzed, he can open a window, turn the car on and have the air conditioning or heater work whatever the case may be and pretty much take care of himself. Animals can't.

NO ONE should leave a pet in a car any longer than 5 min. to run into a store, pay a bill stuff like that. Pets have also been stolen out of cars when people leave them, especially valuable ones. I have a pure bred pit who would go with anyone and do not leave her in the car longer than 5 min.and if it is really hot outside, she does not go in the car at all.

No I don't think people are over reacting about leaving pets in cars, it just needs to be something people do using more common sense just like you would with your husband...do you have him out with you in the car when it is over 90 degrees?? Probably not.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:49 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times
I live in NE GA and the months here of taking a dog along for an errand day are limited. My JRT LOVES to ride in the car and during the winter months when it's cool enough he spends the day with me as I run my errands..I just crack a window and he's fine.

But I will also say this, I've attened several dog shows that are held outside and most people have minivans and leave their dogs in the car and leave the back open for air and they seem to do fine.

A lot of it is just plain common sense.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:58 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,532,538 times
Heck we're in Northern Minnesota and it gets HOT in summer no matter where you live. We have our dog with us almost always, she's a part of the Family. Now if we're planning for pro-longed shopping, the dog simply can't be brought. For a quick stop we would always look for shade AND have water available. No shade, we don't do it, we look else where. Extreem Caution needs be applied to the situation when thinking about leaving a dog in an unattended car in the Sun, regardless of where you are and when it is. I believe winter time here it's impossible to heat up a car with sunlight. That would be the lone exception.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:07 PM

517 posts, read 1,964,420 times
I don't think it's a good idea to leave a dog in a car... ever. For those who say - use common sense, a few minutes is okay - I disagree. What if something happened to you during those few minutes. What if you simply got distracted, saw an old friend, got stuck on a long line.... or something like that. A few minutes could turn into a much longer period of time.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:28 PM

16,671 posts, read 17,435,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwa View Post
I don't think it's a good idea to leave a dog in a car... ever. For those who say - use common sense, a few minutes is okay - I disagree. What if something happened to you during those few minutes. What if you simply got distracted, saw an old friend, got stuck on a long line.... or something like that. A few minutes could turn into a much longer period of time.

Excellent point.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:50 AM

288 posts, read 918,040 times
When I have to travel with my dogs, I HATE HATE HATE warm/hot days. How can I go to the bathroom? Sure, I can take the dogs out and they can water various trees and choice spots of grass, but how many places permit you to bring your dog/s into the restroom with you? Every single rest area I've ever stopped at has always had multiple signs saying that pets must remain on leash on in vehicles. I'm single. When we travel, it's just me and the dogs. There is no one to hold the dogs while I make a much needed pee stop.

So, I travel with two keys to my car. When I leave them, I cover the windshield and all the windows the best I can to try to prevent anyone from looking in and seeing the dogs. Then, I leave the car running with the a/c on, and lock it with my spare key. Then I RUN like mad for the nearest toilet and try to get back as soon as possible because I'm terrified someone is going to steal my dogs or my car with the dogs.

I wonder how many people are forced to leave their dogs in their cars WITHOUT the a/c running because they don't have or didn't bring a spare key? (I mean, when traveling and needing to hit rest stops or gas up.) It's not like most places are understanding and allow you to bring your dog in with you.

I don't travel with my dogs during spring/summer/fall unless there is simply no other option because of the difficulties in being able to stop and take care of my own needs. But, it happens. It will happen in May and in June. I'll have to take at least one, if not both of my dogs, with me on roundtrip of over one thousand miles. I'm gong to have to stop to pee at some point. And I'm going to have to hope that no one steals my dogs or my car with the dogs when I leave the car running with the a/c on.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:50 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
I used to travel a lot with my pug and a terrier mix. And I would take them with me when I did antique shows in Atlanta. I just made sure that I only parked in well shaded areas. The windows would be rolled down and the dogs always had water. I would check on them about once an hour. And other antique dealers did the same with their dogs. If there was no shade available, I didn't leave them in the car. During show days, I would leave them in the hotel room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs