U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-27-2008, 05:47 AM

3,721 posts, read 1,374,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Exactly. Or what if someone goes to the church with a service dog? That lady needs a wakeup call before someone or someone's animal gets hurt!
Yup.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 09:05 AM

92 posts, read 128,222 times
If she is poor and has no fencing and/or has disability so cannot walk her dogs, (or any number of things), when the dogs have to 'go' (outside) maybe a suggestion of a cable and offer some help or find help to string it up might be neighborly. Perhaps no one has offered before.

It is unfortunate that not all dog owners can live up to the standards expected any more, but being helpful is often appreciated.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:09 AM

342 posts, read 1,084,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticklerkid View Post
If she is poor and has no fencing and/or has disability so cannot walk her dogs, (or any number of things), when the dogs have to 'go' (outside) maybe a suggestion of a cable and offer some help or find help to string it up might be neighborly. Perhaps no one has offered before.

It is unfortunate that not all dog owners can live up to the standards expected any more, but being helpful is often appreciated.
I'm pretty sure neither is the case. It's a decent-sized plot of land in a fairly decent part of town, and she herself came out and after speaking to me, got in a car to go somewhere. She doesn't live alone either. So I'm pretty sure she's not poor or disabled.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:17 AM

92 posts, read 128,222 times
Thanks vemureaux. I guess the only way to know why she chooses her version of responsible freedom (and not the right responsible choices IMO) is to ask her. Where I live, it's not even legal to exercise a dog in public if it's not a dog park and there are too few of those, and frankly dog parks are not really ideal for all dogs and the people that have them. (edits: me needs coffee...!)

Old 09-27-2008, 11:15 AM

4,356 posts, read 8,597,598 times
I would report her for being an unresposible pet owner. For now, you should not risk the life of your pup....take him elsewhere!

Old 09-27-2008, 01:01 PM

2,674 posts, read 3,944,311 times
No matter where you decide to take your dog you may find a similar situation and one without warning. I strongly urge you to purchase and carry pepper spray and to consider a stun device. If you think this is cruel check out your local mail carrier.
I remember reading about a senior woman walking her small terrier and attacked by a larger dog, (not mentioning the breed). The small dog was killed and the woman was then attacked she had to bite her attacker to get away. A $10 can of pepper spray would have prevented this tragedy.
Don

Old 09-27-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
No matter where you decide to take your dog you may find a similar situation and one without warning. I strongly urge you to purchase and carry pepper spray and to consider a stun device. If you think this is cruel check out your local mail carrier.
I remember reading about a senior woman walking her small terrier and attacked by a larger dog, (not mentioning the breed). The small dog was killed and the woman was then attacked she had to bite her attacker to get away. A $10 can of pepper spray would have prevented this tragedy.
Don
I have regular anti-perv pepper spray that I carry in my purse when going out (it says military strength )... will that work against dogs? Otherwise, I've seen pepper spray at Petsmart as well.

I've always been tempted by these protection devices, but here's my concern. It may work on dogs that are showing aggression but not 100% determined, but if we're talking about an unbalanced dog that is hell bent on attacking and killing you (or your dog), wouldn't spraying or stunning it just further enrage it?

Old 09-27-2008, 07:26 PM

1,315 posts, read 4,624,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vemureaux View Post
I have regular anti-perv pepper spray that I carry in my purse when going out (it says military strength )... will that work against dogs? Otherwise, I've seen pepper spray at Petsmart as well.

I've always been tempted by these protection devices, but here's my concern. It may work on dogs that are showing aggression but not 100% determined, but if we're talking about an unbalanced dog that is hell bent on attacking and killing you (or your dog), wouldn't spraying or stunning it just further enrage it?
The pepper spray for dogs is supposedly a different formulation from that intended for use on people. There is also a pepper spray formulation made for repelling bears! Anyway, pepper spray doesn't always act immediately. It may take a few seconds for the dog-or person-to feel the effect, so the distance that you are from the dog could be tricky. If it is windy the spray can blow back at you and that's a problem too. However, a spray will work if you're attacked by multiple dogs, and a dog prod would be hard to use in that situation. The downside to all of these is that you have to be able to handle your own dog/s at the same time that you're defending them-and you-against an attacking dog. That's the hard part.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:49 PM

8,204 posts, read 24,014,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vemureaux View Post

Do I even have a case or a valid complaint, though, since it's not like anything happened and I didn't catch her in the act, so to speak, of letting her dogs roam? It's all hearsay at this point, albeit from her.
The laws are different everywhere, but in my city it only takes 2 adults witnessing a loose dog for the owner to be ticketed. I think the first ticket is a warning, the next is a fine and it escalates from there (their dogs can eventually be taken).

You'll have to see what the laws are in your city, the police will be able to inform you, just contact them as a non-emergency and they'll let you know.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
The pepper spray for dogs is supposedly a different formulation from that intended for use on people. There is also a pepper spray formulation made for repelling bears! Anyway, pepper spray doesn't always act immediately. It may take a few seconds for the dog-or person-to feel the effect, so the distance that you are from the dog could be tricky. If it is windy the spray can blow back at you and that's a problem too. However, a spray will work if you're attacked by multiple dogs, and a dog prod would be hard to use in that situation. The downside to all of these is that you have to be able to handle your own dog/s at the same time that you're defending them-and you-against an attacking dog. That's the hard part.
Hmm... sounds like anti-dog pepper spray might be on my shopping list next time I go to PetSmart. You mentioned a dog prod... what about a mini cattle prod? I've used it on swine before, and while on some it gets them going, others it just makes them hella ornery. Should I be carrying it around with me on walks??

Thank goodness I have yet to be confronted by an aggressive dog (knock on wood!). Not sure I'd know what to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
The laws are different everywhere, but in my city it only takes 2 adults witnessing a loose dog for the owner to be ticketed. I think the first ticket is a warning, the next is a fine and it escalates from there (their dogs can eventually be taken).

You'll have to see what the laws are in your city, the police will be able to inform you, just contact them as a non-emergency and they'll let you know.
I didn't know this. This is great information. I'll have to see what the local laws are.

Last edited by vemureaux; 09-27-2008 at 10:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs