U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 01:44 AM

92 posts, read 119,352 times
A few pointers that may likely not apply directly to this thread but since readers and posters are from just about 'anywhere'....

Canine behavior:
When dogs see other dogs protectively swooped up by their owners when loose dogs are approaching, this then involves the person holding the dog. Behaviorally, dogs want to be able to see and reach the other dog's face (and butt) to read expression, sniff and all that. The person may not actually be 'attacked' but may be scratched or knocked down as the 'four on the floor' dog(s) tries to visually access the communication points of the dog which has miraculously sprouted 'stilts'. Lots of friendly golden retrievers and other dogs of all types do 'jump up' when excited, even if they have been trained to not do so (in normal situations) because it is typical that dogs do not generalize as well as humans do - and 'jumping up' is a different distinct behavior than making acquaintance with another dog (which may have grown 'taller' in the heat of the moment). And that means a dog jumping up may not be doing in aggression directed at the human if the dog is their target. Sometimes dog attacks in the news are because of this normal nonaggressive behavior, but humans perceive it as an attack.

Actually the size of dogs doesn't matter, a strong person sweeping up a cat, golden retriever or a pit bull when a pomeranian or sheltie is zooming in, is part of the same scenario.

Above is to suggest that if one is caught in a situation with loose dogs, as is likely to happen around this lady's area, sweeping a dog up may complicate the situation entirely. Many people do not understand dog behavior. The answer to what to do if trying to protect a cat or another dog from the approach of others, just cannot be painted in a message like this. Avoidance really is the best solution sometime. Alas, this does not help if the dog being affronted is a service dog on duty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 06:45 AM

342 posts, read 1,017,309 times
Hi Ticklerkid,

I wouldn't be able to pick up my pup even if I wanted to. She's getting way too heavy for me (44lbs as of yesterday!)

But that's good to know.

So in case a snarling, barking aggressive dog approaches, just divert your dog's attention to you and walk away sloooowly? Is it safe to turn your back on an aggressive dog? I know you're not supposed to make direct eye contact. I've heard sometimes that commanding the dog to "go home" works (if it's someone's pet), but would vocalization of any kind by the human be considered a challenge by the aggressive dog?

Old 09-30-2008, 05:06 PM

92 posts, read 119,352 times
vemureaux, yah... you know, it's very difficult to create a paint by number scenario on how to handle an incoming off leash dog if you have another distraction --- on leash or in arms.

There is a helpful phrase that defines some behaviors you can use... called 'calming signals'. These can sometimes work to defuse a tense situation, when the situation allows you to buy time (not that this is always the case!).

Examples are yawning and averting your face so only a side profile is apparent to the potentially unpredictable dog. Once again, it is very difficult to give a 'recipe', because if the 'target' animal is the subject of the approaching dog's attention and IF the target is behaving like prey or is reacting excitedly in any way or aggressively as well -- that can complicate the matter if the approaching dog is not easily distracted from its goal.

A small booklet authored by Turid Rugaas titled Calming Signals is widely available. Surf around and find sites that discuss 'dog calming signals' and you might find first person accounts on how it is used -- then you will have a little more information that can assist in both reading and managing some types of dog situations.

I generally avoid a risky area if it can be helped. Even dog parks are risky in my view but I have a very large yard and my dogs tend to exercise themselves pretty well, without the need for walks. My dogs are pretty sizable, from 29 to 34 inches tall when mature, so they do tend to draw the attention of other dogs. When my dogs are training, I work on attention training so I can get their focus during otherwise distracting events. I teach them positions to assume that can help defuse the anxiety of an approaching dog. eg, a very large dog standing stiffly on leash and staring down an approaching dog does little to diffuse. But the same dog commanded to sit and 'watch me', does help defuse the situation.

As you can see, there is a lot of involvement; understanding of dog behavior along with training, preparedness and caution. No simple recipe. No guarantees.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:09 PM

3,956 posts, read 2,788,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticklerkid View Post
If she is poor and has no fencing and/or has disability so cannot walk her dogs, (or any number of things), when the dogs have to 'go' (outside) maybe a suggestion of a cable and offer some help or find help to string it up might be neighborly. Perhaps no one has offered before.

It is unfortunate that not all dog owners can live up to the standards expected any more, but being helpful is often appreciated.
You are so right Ticklerkid!!! Reps to you. This is something that we all have to remember. I know we all need to be responsible and make sure that we can afford to have a wonderful pet/companion but sometimes things happen wither they are physical or financial and we might need a helping hand. Something that we all need to think about!!

Old 06-10-2009, 11:44 AM

2,236 posts, read 1,804,649 times
Contact Animal Control for your town or county and find out what the exact law is. If these dogs are so aggressive that she felt it necessary to warn you then they have no business being loose and unsupervised at any time. For all you know there may have already been problems and AC may know about her already.

I have 5 dogs of my own, one can be a bit dog aggressive toward other female dogs and I would not dream of letting her loose any place where she is likely to encounter other dogs. I spend many hours and dollars in an effort to rescue dogs so this is not coming from someone who dislikes them in general. (Except my own sometimes when they are driving me crazy !!)

Old 06-10-2009, 01:22 PM

5,101 posts, read 7,943,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Guess I'll be devil's advocate and agree here. If there's a leash law, then by all means those dogs should be contained at all times, more so if they are dog aggressive. Are they going to stop at the dogs? What if someone's cats are out?
I agree. Honestly, if I happened to be out that way and saw them out without a leash, I'd report it. Very few dogs should be off leash, and if they are remotely likely to not obey a command immediately, let alone if they're dog aggressive, they should never, ever be allowed off leash anywhere, period.

It all boils down to irresponsible ownership. Dog to dog aggression isn't a natural thing. Unaltered males will fight over territory or breeding rights, but to be openly dog aggression is strictly a lack of training and socialization.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:08 PM

7,372 posts, read 7,139,348 times
For all of you who said to contact animal control well if animal control is anything like it is in my city it stinks !!! they do nothing when it comes to aggresive dogs . they will not pick them up cause they are scared of them . or they will say i did not see them . the idiot who is in charge of the animal control here is a moron . Now the city council says that they are taking the budget and lowering it for the animal control so pretty soon there will be no animal control .

Old 06-14-2009, 01:34 PM

56 posts, read 83,730 times
Umm a tad confused.......? Is the land hers? belong in some way shape or form to the house she's living in, in which part/area you were playing in?

If yes, then I would call ahead.

If not, then I would not call ahead but contact the owners of the land and tell them the situation, her dogs should be behind a fence, and she is not intitled to claim the land you were on for her own dogs territory. My 1 cent thought!
Also for ticks sakes I would tell her, it's she who needs to keep a look out before she even lets her dogs out ~

Old 06-19-2009, 02:57 PM

371 posts, read 464,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vemureaux View Post
I have regular anti-perv pepper spray that I carry in my purse when going out (it says military strength )... will that work against dogs? Otherwise, I've seen pepper spray at Petsmart as well.

I've always been tempted by these protection devices, but here's my concern. It may work on dogs that are showing aggression but not 100% determined, but if we're talking about an unbalanced dog that is hell bent on attacking and killing you (or your dog), wouldn't spraying or stunning it just further enrage it?
Go to your local gun shop...They have pepper spray and it's usually the good stuff...10% OC or something like that...Some of the pet stores have a lesser %...I want the "good stuff" Might be a little more $$$ but it's worth it...

Old 06-19-2009, 06:29 PM

5,503 posts, read 13,237,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vemureaux View Post
Of course I will call her if I ever go back (I'm not taking any chances).
And yes she was nice enough to give me her number to call ahead of time.

But it still blows my mind that you would have your aggressive, uncontrolled dogs off leash in an unfenced area. Like I said, it was by luck that I happened to be there when the dogs were in the house. And who knows how far they consider their territory? If I'm walking on the sidewalk, are they going to charge and attack? It seems safer for everyone involved that these dogs stay in a fenced yard.
Call dog control and carry a gun next time you go over there. Let her know you will shoot her dogs and kill them if they come anywhere near you.

This is craziness. Can you imagine if someone told you that their dogs were child aggressive? "Hello, I just want you to know that my dogs attack babies, so just call me if you want to bring your babies to play in the public area near my home and I'll bring my killer dogs inside the house."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs