U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 09:28 AM

53 posts, read 299,338 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been talking about getting a micro chip in both of our dogs. They stay inside most of the time and we do have a fenced backyard, but it worries me when we travel that they may get out.(my parents do not have a fence yard and babysit often) Has anyone had this done and can give me information about it? Is it worth it? Price? Has anyone had it done and had a success story? Do local vets do this? Any information would help! Thank you so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 09:38 AM

702 posts, read 2,247,428 times
I think micro chipping is important to do. My dog's micro chipping was included in her adoption fee so I am not sure what the cost is. My sister had her cat micro chipped for $25 dollars at the vet.

We live in a house with a fenced yard and always walk our dog on leash and don't leave her unsupervised in the back yard, but things can happen. She did get out once when we first moved into our house when my husband was "watching" her. The gate was opened just enough for her to nose her way out. A neighbor got her and returned her to us because of her tags. She only got as far as the second house on the block thankfully.

I keep tags on my dog and the micro chip. I have the vet scan her at her annual physical to make sure it is working and hasn't traveled in her body. I do recommend this because if your dog gets out without identification how would anyone know who he/she belongs to? If your dog gets picked up by the "pound" and is labeled a stray and you don't locate your dog that's not going to be a happy ending for anyone!

Maybe others have had bad experiences with micro chips, I think it makes good sense. Good luck!

Old 09-26-2008, 09:53 AM

53 posts, read 299,338 times
Thank you so much! We will be talking to our vet about this very soon! For now they just have the tags on the collars, but you are very right when you say anything can happen and they can get out! Thanks again!

Old 09-26-2008, 09:54 AM

17,858 posts, read 8,903,412 times
How do these work? Is their a GPS transmitter in it? Does it contain medical and owner info too?

Old 09-26-2008, 10:30 AM

1,188 posts, read 4,966,063 times
Please read these posts. Microchipping has been discussed on CD before:

Microchipping: The Good vs Bad (chip brands, long term studies, etc.)

Information needed about a Microchip for my pet???

Please ask me any additional questions if you have any after reading these.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:52 PM

3,398 posts, read 7,148,201 times
Cost for me was about 45$..but I have a large dog. I do believe it has your contact information in it and thats about it.
Ive personally had an experience where a microchip helped a stray dog be reunited with its owner. So, IMO they are very worth it. Jasper has had his for 4 years.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:04 PM

2,658 posts, read 10,482,344 times
We have a rescue who was Microchipped prior to coming home.

24PetWatch

I feel piece of mind that if he were lost, I would have a good chance of getting our loveable boy back.

He wears a collar with our home phone and my email address, also.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:05 PM

2,841 posts, read 4,162,792 times
Years ago my dog got lost when I was on vacation. I called every vets office in the city to see if anyone had brought in a dog that looked like her (she was pretty unusual looking!). All of the vets I called said no such dog had been brought to their office. To make a long story short - I finally found her and she had been taken to a vets office that I had called (they told me no such dog had been brought in). My dog did have a micro chip and they could have easily tracked her if the vet would have scanned it!

I have since asked other vets why dogs aren't scanned routinely. I am told that its too time consuming. Just a reminder that even if you have your dog micro chipped - it won't bring them home unless they are scanned!

Old 09-27-2008, 07:57 AM

2,658 posts, read 10,482,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Years ago my dog got lost when I was on vacation. I called every vets office in the city to see if anyone had brought in a dog that looked like her (she was pretty unusual looking!). All of the vets I called said no such dog had been brought to their office. To make a long story short - I finally found her and she had been taken to a vets office that I had called (they told me no such dog had been brought in). My dog did have a micro chip and they could have easily tracked her if the vet would have scanned it!

I have since asked other vets why dogs aren't scanned routinely. I am told that its too time consuming. Just a reminder that even if you have your dog micro chipped - it won't bring them home unless they are scanned!
That is insane. I cannot believe that the Veterinarian is one of the culprits for taking shortcuts. I would think that they would be one of the big proponents for its utilization.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:36 AM

10,091 posts, read 36,895,513 times
All 7 of my animals are micro-chipped. Prices vary, but have nothing to do with the size of the animal. Some charge $25 for the chip, but then another $25 for registering the animal in your name. Last yr. was the last I had a cat done and it was a straight $45. I'm pretty sure to change the info the first time is free, after that $8.
It is, of course, not 100% that the system will find your animal...but in my opinion, another chance that he/she will be located.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or