U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 05:01 PM

1,738 posts, read 7,496,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
This is not a human-created game, at least not in my family! Rudy basically doesn't like to fetch and bring the ball to me, but instead likes to play keep-away with it... he runs to get the ball, comes back, and then runs away if I try to grab it. He will drop if I give the command ("drop it"), but seems to have more fun with this game. He'll actually get into puppy play stance, and wait for me to chase him - and gets very disappointed if I don't. We can do this for a long time, usually up & down the stairs, which gives us BOTH a great workout!
mine does this too and we love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 05:36 PM
bjh

30,241 posts, read 23,697,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vemureaux View Post
Thanks for your input so far guys!!

What's "keep away"?
I used to have a dog that I played what I called keep away with. She would get hold of a tennis ball and I would chase her in our back yard to get it.

I know I'm so grown up and I must have looked like an idiot. But on the up side it was good exercise for both of us. Being, well, a dog she could easily out run me. So after a while she would let me catch her and "wrestle" her for the ball.

She was a wonderful dog. She would drop the ball in an unoccupied shoe when she wanted to play.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:59 PM

8,217 posts, read 27,060,555 times
I have a short haired, brown 14 lb Dachshund... had him since I got out of college 7 years ago. These aren't really trick dogs or game dogs. His idea of fetching a toy is to go get it after I've thrown it, and trot with it and disappear in his crate in the other room. So I've had to be creative but it has mostly been for my amusement.

Dachshunds are scent-hounds above all else, which a lot of people don't realize... I used to lock him in his crate for a few minutes... then drag a Milk Bone biscuit across the carpet in S-shaped patterns and hide the treat behind the TV stand. After doing that I'd put him at the start of the 20' trail, hold his nose the ground and then he would literally follow the exact pattern I drew across the carpet, and eventually eat the treat. That was actually a pretty successful party trick that impressed everyone.

Now sometimes he gets a bout of aggression and goes to his bed and humps it. We've had a dozen guests over and oh look, there's Mini-Me in the corner... humping the ''giant laser''. When he did this one day (just me & him home alone) I decided to rip the bed away from him in the middle of the act and run around the house with it... Twirling it above my head, making him jump at it, and then go to the corner and pretend I was humping it, then ultimately throwing it across the room. After that I'm convinced you will never see a neutered dog run so fast to try and lay pipe to his bed, as hard as this one does. (Too bad his tools are non-functional.) I can do this about 3 times but on the 4th try, he will bite his bed (which will hold 3 of him easily) and drag it across the house, into the empty bedroom where he can be left alone.

My wife says my dog and I have a dysfunctional relationship.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:15 PM

342 posts, read 1,635,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I have a short haired, brown 14 lb Dachshund... had him since I got out of college 7 years ago. These aren't really trick dogs or game dogs. His idea of fetching a toy is to go get it after I've thrown it, and trot with it and disappear in his crate in the other room. So I've had to be creative but it has mostly been for my amusement.

Dachshunds are scent-hounds above all else, which a lot of people don't realize... I used to lock him in his crate for a few minutes... then drag a Milk Bone biscuit across the carpet in S-shaped patterns and hide the treat behind the TV stand. After doing that I'd put him at the start of the 20' trail, hold his nose the ground and then he would literally follow the exact pattern I drew across the carpet, and eventually eat the treat. That was actually a pretty successful party trick that impressed everyone.

Now sometimes he gets a bout of aggression and goes to his bed and humps it. We've had a dozen guests over and oh look, there's Mini-Me in the corner... humping the ''giant laser''. When he did this one day (just me & him home alone) I decided to rip the bed away from him in the middle of the act and run around the house with it... Twirling it above my head, making him jump at it, and then go to the corner and pretend I was humping it, then ultimately throwing it across the room. After that I'm convinced you will never see a neutered dog run so fast to try and lay pipe to his bed, as hard as this one does. (Too bad his tools are non-functional.) I can do this about 3 times but on the 4th try, he will bite his bed (which will hold 3 of him easily) and drag it across the house, into the empty bedroom where he can be left alone.

My wife says my dog and I have a dysfunctional relationship.
I bust out laughing when I read this. The thought of a grown man doing this to his dachshund's "girlfriend" had me laughing almost to tears.

At the least you could have left her a twenty for her trouble, or maybe she wasn't that good?

Old 09-28-2008, 08:52 AM

I think Huxley and I have a new game .

Huxley get's kind of freaked out when she hears a dog barking but with no dog in sight. I don't think she likes noises (of any kind) that she can't figure out or identify the source.

Anywho, she was soliciting attention today and talking/whining wanting to play. So I got on the floor, and did something I'd never done before: I summoned up the big dog in me and went "WOOF!!". The best big dog bark I can do. It freaked her out, as she bolted a couple feet and looked back all startled and confused. I didn't want her to be scared, so I woofed again to reassure her that it was coming from me. After that, it became a series of play bows, zooming around the room, crawling under the coffee table, giving chase, some pouncing and wrestling, more play bows, more woofing, more zoomies.... It was a lot of fun

So now I have a woofing game (not sure what it's called). Yay!
It's funny how these things come to be.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:43 PM

3,398 posts, read 7,127,434 times
Fetch
Keep away 1.
Keep Away version 2
Soccer
Find the Toy
Roll the Mom

Old 09-29-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Fetch
Keep away 1.
Keep Away version 2
Soccer
Find the Toy
Roll the Mom
Roll the mom?

Old 09-29-2008, 05:58 PM

3,398 posts, read 7,127,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vemureaux View Post
Roll the mom?
lol
Well, I'll lie down on the floor with either a treat or a toy, and I'll hide it underneath me.
He has to find where I hid it ( under leg, under stomach, shoulders, etc) and once he does, he has to roll me over onto my back to get it.

He'll usually just take his front paws and roll me over jusgt as if he had hands...lol

Its fun. He's really good at finding where its at. We discovered the game when I was on the couch one day and hiding a toy from him ( he was being a pain with it, so I hid it). To my surprise, he found where I hid it and rolled me OFF the couch to get to it....
Hence Roll The Mom was born.

Except now its on the floor, because being rolled off the couch hurts...

Old 09-30-2008, 01:42 AM

29,041 posts, read 44,904,594 times
Here's one my old roommate played with his 11 year-old Lab... it was called "Scooby Snacks," and basically involved hiding treats in a path around the house. He'd make the dog hide while he laid them out, and would then yell SCOOBY SNACKS!! Being a Lab, the dog put his nose right to work, and it kept him busy for a good 5-10 minutes. It was also a great game for an older (and arthritic) dog, since he could move at his own pace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or