Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 05:48 PM

342 posts, read 1,831,560 times

Advertisements

What games do you play with your dogs?
What's your dog's favorite?

Huxley (3mo) loves tug and tug-fetch (she hasn't learned to "drop it" yet). She doesn't seem too interested in hide-and-seek. If I scratch something nearby she'll come investigate, but that's about it. With my previous dog, we had a game where I would try to grab or step on his toes. I tried this with Huxley and she just looked at me like I'd gone nuts. I also play the "gotcha" game where I use my hands to grab her here and there (used to do this with my old dog as well) and she just sits there and looks at me funny.

I'm starting to feel uncreative. There's gotta be more games to play with your dog, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 06:27 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,276,497 times
hide n seek!
find ...someone
put toys away
tug
ball
Frisbee(not awesome at it)
toilet paper rolls are always fun
wrestle
chase
walk,run
tricks!!!!! anything we can think of ...close doors ...touch nose to toys .....etc

Old 09-26-2008, 09:53 PM

702 posts, read 2,523,908 times
My dog likes to play greeter when people come so I like to give her advance warning (not too advanced or that's just cruel). I'll say "grandma and grandpa are coming over so go wait for them". She'll get all excited and go between the front and back door looking for them and is so proud of herself when they come in. She runs to me and back to them as if to say "there here - see there really here!".

She likes to fetch in the yard and that's fun. She also likes to jump for a stick or a ball. She especially likes to reach into the dryer when I am pulling clothes out to find the dryer sheet. She will pull them out of the garbage in the laundry room or if they fall out of a pile of clean clothes she will find it and shred it. We don't care because it's pretty funny and she doesn't eat it. Hopefully the brief time she has it in her mought isn't a problem.

We like to try to figure out new tricks to train her to do and she likes to learn so that's also fun.

Sometimes just snuggling or going for a walk, or having them listen to your day without ever putting in their two cents is priceless.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:56 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Scrabble mostly.

But seriously, fetch and keep away.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:02 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Tear up the toys mom just purchased...that was Katies fev when she was a pup!!

Old 09-26-2008, 10:13 PM

19 posts, read 186,174 times
Juicy and all his little buddies love to play at the Pat Merritt Dog Park!!!

Old 09-26-2008, 11:15 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Rudy's favorite game is probably "Keep away" with a tennis ball. He also loves the laser pointer game, but it's too annoying for me... he doesn't actually chase the laser, just wants to carry, drop & bark at it.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:41 AM

342 posts, read 1,831,560 times
Thanks for your input so far guys!!

What's "keep away"?
Is it like "leave it"? (where you command the dog to leave something alone unless you say "take it"?)

I do take my dog on walks. I let her run around in grassy areas. We also have play dates with other dogs, as well as visits to the dog park.
We do work on our obedience training and have multiple short sessions during the day.
She also has plenty of toys to chew and shake on her own.
Those are definitely quality activities to be done with your dog, but I don't consider them games.

Huxley will wrestle with other dogs but not so much with me. She ends up crawling into my lap and flopping down. I have yet to see her excited with hide-and-seek. So whenever we want to play, it always ends up being tug or tug-fetch. They're fun (not to mention her favorite) , but I want to find more ideas of play...

"Find someone" and "greeter" are cute ideas.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:40 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,276,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vemureaux View Post

What's "keep away"?
Is it like "leave it"? (where you command the dog to leave something alone unless you say "take it"?)

I do take my dog on walks. I let her run around in grassy areas. We also have play dates with other dogs, as well as visits to the dog park.
We do work on our obedience training and have multiple short sessions during the day.
She also has plenty of toys to chew and shake on her own.
Those are definitely quality activities to be done with your dog, but I don't consider them games.

Huxley will wrestle with other dogs but not so much with me. She ends up crawling into my lap and flopping down. I have yet to see her excited with hide-and-seek. So whenever we want to play, it always ends up being tug or tug-fetch. They're fun (not to mention her favorite) , but I want to find more ideas of play...

"Find someone" and "greeter" are cute ideas.
if we are both busy working. I will say "cody go find andy" and he gets all excited and finds him and then Andy will eventually say "wheres mom" and he comes to find me. We are usually in the same place he left us but he thinks its fun!

Old 09-27-2008, 01:53 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vemureaux View Post

What's "keep away"?
This is not a human-created game, at least not in my family! Rudy basically doesn't like to fetch and bring the ball to me, but instead likes to play keep-away with it... he runs to get the ball, comes back, and then runs away if I try to grab it. He will drop if I give the command ("drop it"), but seems to have more fun with this game. He'll actually get into puppy play stance, and wait for me to chase him - and gets very disappointed if I don't. We can do this for a long time, usually up & down the stairs, which gives us BOTH a great workout!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs