U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: female in heat
what to do w/the male dog? 2 66.67%
any ideas? 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Unread 09-27-2008, 07:35 PM

3 posts, read 14,796 times
nope, not getting them fixed, I'm so glad to know that people immediatly assume that rottweilers are bad...really nice... Obviously this site is not the place to go for any educational opinions, only rude ignorant people

Unread 09-27-2008, 07:40 PM

1,188 posts, read 3,007,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotty View Post
nope, not getting them fixed, I'm so glad to know that people immediatly assume that rottweilers are bad...really nice... Obviously this site is not the place to go for any educational opinions, only rude ignorant people
Fine, assume we are "ignorant" the least you could do is be proactive and do some research yourself to see if indeed what people are saying here is truly "rude" or the simple, hard to hear TRUTH! Why are you so angry...truth hurt?

Unread 09-27-2008, 07:51 PM

9,427 posts, read 9,477,457 times
Just because people disagree with you does not make them ignorant. You asked for help on this board; however, if you have been reading other posts, you know how people feel about the problem of unwanted pets. Just because your dogs can breed does not mean that they should. Every day dogs are euthanized. Good homes are not always forever homes. With shelters full, no one should be breeding pets. If you came here for validation, you are not getting it.

Unread 09-27-2008, 07:56 PM

1,315 posts, read 4,124,077 times
MODERATOR: Let's keep it civil, folks. This thread looks like it's ready to topple over the edge into a flaming death. As a reminder, personal attacks won't be tolerated.

OP, no one said that rottweilers were inherently bad. Many folks on this forum are active volunteers for shelters and rescues and have strong opinions about the results of pet overpopulation.

There are limited options in a situation like yours. You can spay or neuter one or both dogs. You can keep them in separate areas of your home. You can kennel one of them until the female is out of heat. That's about it. You've apparently made up your mind that the first option is unacceptable to you.

I'm not sure that there's any point in further discussion....

Unread 09-27-2008, 08:00 PM

8,204 posts, read 21,894,670 times
Quote:
The regular members on the dog forum are well-informed on dog issues. Many of our members are professional breeders, run rescue groups, rehabilitate dogs, and so on.

This forum is also very rottie-friendly. In fact, one of our moderators has a house full of rescued rottweilers and we have plenty of other rottie people on here (also pit bull fans and general bully breed fans).

We tend to be a pro-spay/neuter forum for the obvious reason of pet overpopulation that plagues our nation and beyond. When you post that your female is going into heat and you don't even know how to handle the male, members will suspect that you have no experience in breeding and may not know what you're in for.

Our forum is a great resource for information, but you will get brutal honesty here and it will always be on the side of what is best for the dogs. There is valuable feedback to be had if you're open to hearing it.

Unread 09-27-2008, 08:23 PM

2,390 posts, read 2,778,683 times
Quote:
no, we are not fixing our dogs.... we are breeding her next yr
I'm sure you're getting questioned due to your comment of what to do. Any reputable breeder would be aware of how to handle a female in heat if there were plans for future breeding. If you are planning on breeding, is it for the improvement of the breed? Have you made sure that both of your dogs have passed all health clearances? Some of us just get overly concerned and frown on BYB's.

Unread 09-27-2008, 08:26 PM

5,032 posts, read 7,166,154 times
This one's a no brainer........spay and neuter. There is no other way for a responsible pet owner to act.

Unread 09-27-2008, 08:51 PM

344 posts, read 965,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
The regular members on the dog forum are well-informed on dog issues. Many of our members are professional breeders, run rescue groups, rehabilitate dogs, and so on.

This forum is also very rottie-friendly. In fact, one of our moderators has a house full of rescued rottweilers and we have plenty of other rottie people on here (also pit bull fans and general bully breed fans).

We tend to be a pro-spay/neuter forum for the obvious reason of pet overpopulation that plagues our nation and beyond. When you post that your female is going into heat and you don't even know how to handle the male, members will suspect that you have no experience in breeding and may not know what you're in for.

Our forum is a great resource for information, but you will get brutal honesty here and it will always be on the side of what is best for the dogs. There is valuable feedback to be had if you're open to hearing it.
My thoughts exactly.
I have no problem with rottweilers (or pit bulls!) at all (I actually like large, muscular dogs), but I do have a problem with backyard breeders.

If the OP is determined to breed, the least they can do is be a responsible breeder (and if a novice, be mentored by a reputable & knowledgable breeder):
--Complete health clearances for dam and sire.
--Goal of breeding should be to improve the breed standard.
--Breed for correct form, health, and temperment.
--Adhere to ethical breeding practices (frequency of breeding, inbreeding, etc).
--Have homes and buyers for puppies before they are born.
--Carefully screen & interview potential buyers and keep in contact with puppy's new owners.
--Take back any and all of their pups, even as adult dogs, if things don't work out.
--Personally take care of pups that are not rehomed.
--Contract includes spay/neuter for pet quality.
--Bonus: Participate in breed rescue.

I wouldn't consider buying from a breeder who didn't meet the above minimum criteria. Anything less is a selfish breeder just in it for the money and unconcerned about their contribution to pet overpopulation. Especially for dogs that get a bad rep as it is and are often overlooked in shelters, it's just cruel to bring more into the world just to send them to the pound.

Unread 09-27-2008, 09:16 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,749,810 times
Quote:
If you have no idea what to do with a female in season, you certainly haven't got enough knowledge about dogs to breed them responsibly. Besides with all the health problems that rotties can have, do you know enough to have all the medical screening done. Hips,full panel thyroid, eyes, etc.? I didn't hear anyone say they were bad dogs, What I heard was the facts as to how many purebred rotties are being put to sleep for lack of enough homes. If you want another rottie adopt one. If your out to line your pockets there are better more responsible ways. Think real hard before breeding, don't become the problem. Spaying a pet, saves the lives of many.

Unread 09-27-2008, 10:31 PM

1,093 posts, read 2,006,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vemureaux View Post
I say fix both the male and female.

If you're asking questions like this, I take it you're not a knowledgable, reputable breeder. And we certainly don't need any more backyard breeders.
Yes, you hit the arrow dead center...I agree..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs