Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 01:32 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,004,464 times

Advertisements

Well, the neighbors who had their pitbull stolen got an other one. And I've just called animal control about it. The puppy is left outside on its own all day and all night. It barks non-stop. I feel sorry for it but it's driving me crazy.

When it's on a chain, the chain is too short and it can't move much. When it's not, it's in the road, on my property, etc. The dog came after my home health caregivers a few days ago. And when I was outside tending my roses over the weekend, it came over and was biting my hands, pulling on my shirt (which it ripped) and just being a nuisance.

The husband apologised to me for it barking all of the time but he won't DO anything about it! I told him that dogs want to be with their people, not by themselves. That was apparently ignored.

I saw no other option but to call animal control. They said they'd have someone come over and have a talk with the neighbors. I hope they tell them they could seize the dog or make them pay a fine. Maybe that will wise them up! Sigh, I hate being the "bad gal" but something has to give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 01:42 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
I don't blame you in the least. A few years ago, I had a similar situation with a neighbor. I ended up calling Animal Control. The officer told me the only way to get through to some ignorant people is to hit them in the pocketbook. If it starts costing them $, they may finally pay attention and do what is right by the animal. I just feel sorry for the poor dogs who have to suffer for these people total ignorance.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:55 PM

I agree, Shelby. They obviously can't handle this dog and don't want to spend any time on it. The kids don't like it because it bites. I told them they have to work with it and firmly train it NOT to bite using their voice. I showed them how. But that's too much to expect a 6- and 8-year-old to train a pit bull!

I literally have a headache from all of the pup's barking. The weather is beautiful and I have my windows open. I shouldn't have to keep my windows closed and use my air conditioning just because the neighbors are ignorant! The pup literally SCREAMS in frustration. Not the dog's fault but still VERY annoying. The owners keep their windows and door closed all of the time but how can they stand the constant barking and screaming? My son is coming home from college this weekend and his bedroom is on the neighbor's side of the house. No way should he have to endure it!

Old 09-30-2008, 02:06 PM

973 posts, read 3,303,836 times
I feel sorry for the animals that suffer from neglect because of their stupid "guardians."
I know this is a bit much but have you offered to help the adults with some socializing / training? Sounds like these people bit off more than they can chew. Maybe they just don't know what to do or maybe they're just lazy.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:13 PM

Yeah, Gizmo, read my second post. The kids are the only ones who pay attention to it so I taught them. The adults work odd shifts and I don't see them much. Heh, and the kids seem to have more sense than the dad! The mom told me she really doesn't like pit bulls so I doubt she wants much to do with it.

At this point, the pup is being damaged from neglect and I just want to ensure I don't end up living next to an unsocialized, resentful pit bull who's often allowed to roam.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:13 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Makes you wonder if the first pit was "really" stolen?
Or some kind soul decided to take matters into their own hands!

Old 09-30-2008, 02:34 PM

27 posts, read 56,584 times
It saddens me to see puppies being neglected. I mean, why buy a dog in the first place if you aren't going to take care of him. My boyfriend and I own both Pitbull and a Doberman. The Pitbull is extremely loyal, independent, and very calm. The Doberman was adopted after he was neglected by a family of doctors. They locked him up in a cage whenever they go to work, and this caused him to be very attached when we first got him. He will whine whenever we leave him alone. But slowly with exercise and training, he came around.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:01 PM

Wow, animal control responded quickly! They had a chat with the husband and checked over the dog. I didn't hear what was said. I hope they talked some sense into him!

He took the dog off the chain and walked it over to a neighbor's house. I'm just enjoying the quiet! Hope it lasts!

Old 09-30-2008, 03:08 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Makes you wonder if the first pit was "really" stolen?
Or some kind soul decided to take matters into their own hands!
Yah, TBH if I knew the full story I would steal that dog too :S

It drives me insane when I hear stories like this. "Pits" are not fashion accesories theyre loving dogs!

Old 09-30-2008, 04:05 PM

342 posts, read 1,831,109 times
Seriously teatime, what is it with you and pit bulls??

Clearly these neighbors are not responsible or knowledgeable pet owners, and of all breeds, they have to go out and get a pit bull. These poor dogs already get a bad rep as it is, it's such a shame that they keep ending up with unfit owners who don't know how to or care enough to properly train/socialize and care for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs