U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2008, 11:53 AM

795 posts, read 3,997,651 times

Advertisements

Has anyone used the doggy equivalent of a baby sling to carry a small dog?

If so, what is the product called? And how well did it work for you?

My 12-year old **** tzu can't do stairs anymore, and I am entertaining the thought of moving into an upstairs apt. This would require me to carry him up and down a full flight of stairs a couple of times daily.

I've thought about a regular carrier for him to get him up and down the stairs, but at 20-ish pounds and longer than he is tall, it takes a pretty big carrier for him.

Someone suggested to me to use a baby sling (the doggy version), but I'd like to know how this has worked for others.

Anyone out there tried one of these?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 11:54 AM

What the heck? This board edits properly spelled breed names now?

Old 10-02-2008, 12:23 PM

10,091 posts, read 37,379,176 times
LOL....shame on you! I guess they thought you were trying to use a "bad" word!
Are you talking about a medical sling....like this:
Lift n Aid Dog Sling /Up & Out Lift Dog Harness/Bottoms Up Leash for Dogs

Or more of a front pack carrier? I think the same company makes one of those as well.

I used a medical sling for an aging Golden we had. But it was more to help him maneveur around and I didn't (couldn't) carry him...It was just as a aid to help him get up and walk.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:25 PM

Here's the front pack carrier: Front Vest Pet Carrier

I'm sure Drs. Foster and Smith carry them as well.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:11 PM

hahahhaha! shelby, thanks, yes, i think the second link may be what i'm looking for, although, wow, is that a funny sight!

the only thing i'm worried about with that style carrier is that barnaby has some disc problems in his back, so i have to be very careful how i handle him. i don't know if one of these carriers would be supportive of his spine...

anyone out there have experience with one of these?

(i would just carry him like i usually do, but i've fallen down the stairs holding him one time already. that time i was the only one who got hurt, so it was no big deal. but i live in fear if i fell again, i might hurt him.)

any other advice is also welcome if there are any creative thinkers out there...

Old 10-02-2008, 02:27 PM

Hmmmm....maybe the medical sling would be better for him then. Normally, I was say, just fashion a sling out of a towel...but in this case, something with handles would be better for you both! Do you think he would stay still in a sling? Wouldn't want him to wiggle and throw you off balance on the stairs.
I imagine the front back might take some getting use to too. I remember carrying the kids around in those things! Killed your back!

Old 10-02-2008, 02:45 PM

692 posts, read 3,606,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barndog View Post
I'm guessing you spelled it Sh*t Tzu and not Shih Tzu. If not, I have got no clue. I've never had that problem.

Never had to use one, but just type in dog sling into the google search engine and tons of pictures come up under images.

Old 10-03-2008, 03:12 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,494,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barndog View Post

Barndog, et al...

I checked this - I've had the same problems, sometimes the software throws out shih tzu and sometimes it doesn't, based on whatever the software thinks is best at the moment. You can always post and if it gets blocked you have a few minutes to edit your post...go back in and spell it shi h tzu and see if it comes out right.

We have all manner of folks who try to get around the dirty word rule by running words together or splitting them apart. Software is great, it just doesn't always separate real posters from fools.... (who said that???)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs