U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 03:22 PM

718 posts, read 1,798,642 times

Advertisements

You get the dog and about 4 years later God gives you the brains to go with that dog. Have patience and a good obedience class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,012 times
http://www.jamesdaddio.com/marketing-photos/muddy%20waters_1866.jpg (broken link)We have always guessed that out dog Muddy Waters was a Lab English Pointer mix we now have no doubt seeing the other photos.. Great combination for temperament, and field and stream activities pointers are affectionate and labs are labs just nice guys. I will try to post his photos.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,270 times
Default lab/pointer mix?

We are the proud owners of an 18 month old, all black, off the wall, pup that we acquired from the county rescue shelter (say pound). Upon picking her out at the shelter, we were afforded a chance to become acquainted in a small visiting area. She went crazy. She was jumping, running, climbing, licking - all of it on top of us. After a few hours (minutes) my wife stated that she is "just the dog for us." Keep in mind that we are both in our 70s, retired, and maybe not too bright. We took her for a get acquainted walk and decided that her name would be Ms. Maelstrom. We of course took her home.

Initial training was on a retractable leash on our ten acre wooded homesite during which time she tested the tensile strength of the leash as well as my right arm. We have found that "cookies" are a great tool in the training process. After a month we decided to take the plunge and let her go off the leash. This was a traumatic moment since we knew that she was a runaway and we did not want to lose her. We devised a procedure where my wife and I stood about 100 yds. apart and allowed her to run between us when we called and receive a treat. She would make the trip over 20 times before slowing down.

She is now off the leash after six months and tears through the woods on her own at 90 miles an hour. She is a delight to watch, but her tail can be lethal when she does her "flybys".

Some antics in the house have required us to block off some rooms with plywood when we leave her. We came home at one point and found articles on top of the refrigerator had been rearranged as well as all countertops and tabletops. She has dispersed a 5 lb. bag of flour, a quarter lb. of butter and a bowl of proofed yeast among other things.

All in all as she slowly gets US trained she is becoming the dog we were looking for. She is affectionate and best of all she sleeps on my feet.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:06 AM

2 posts, read 2,088 times
I have a 9 week old lab/pointer mix. His name is Boxer. Very sweet dog, my 3 year old daughter loves him they play so cute together. Ive read these dogs are smart. Well he hasnt been doing so good with puppy pads. Ive tried everything please help!! We have been putting the time in for him to know what they are. He refuses to go on them. Sometimes I will catch him going right beside the pad, then he will look at me and run to his bedroom. I could use some advice from owners who have a puppy lab pointer mix. Thanks in advance. God bless.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:45 AM

3,913 posts, read 2,554,134 times
9 weeks is too young IMO to expect a puppy to use puppy pads 100% of the time. Do you have a yard? If so, I'd train him to go in the yard rather than use puppy pads. My German shepherd did the same thing when she was a puppy, she'd go right beside the pad. He doesn't understand he needs to do on the pad. He may not like the way it feels. She never did figure it out.

Even if he does figure it out at that age he won't get it 100% of the time. You might have more luck starting a new thread with housebreaking in the title.

Good luck.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:40 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,126,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessa mosley View Post
I have a 9 week old lab/pointer mix. His name is Boxer. Very sweet dog, my 3 year old daughter loves him they play so cute together. Ive read these dogs are smart. Well he hasnt been doing so good with puppy pads. Ive tried everything please help!! We have been putting the time in for him to know what they are. He refuses to go on them. Sometimes I will catch him going right beside the pad, then he will look at me and run to his bedroom. I could use some advice from owners who have a puppy lab pointer mix. Thanks in advance. God bless.

What do you mean "tried everything"?

That's a big dog why are you using puppy pads when he has no idea what you want.

Walk him outside every four hours.

He should NOT BE RUNNING "to his bedroom" are you yelling at him????

Don't. It's your fault not his.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:51 PM

13,839 posts, read 25,215,602 times
I have 2 GSP's and a Weim. All rescues. One was abused. Don't yell at the dog and scare him. Mine never used puppy pads. No matter what you do, your pup will not be perfect at 9 weeks old. I never used those pads for any of my dogs. Always though they were gross.

Put a bell in the dog's reach on the door you use to take him out to potty. Every time you take him out, ring the bell. Carry treats. Every single time he potties outside make a huge deal out of it. Treats, petting, and praise. Every time the dog takes a nap he has to potty immediately when he wakes up. He must potty after eating too. He does give you clues. If you see him sniffing, take him out. Watch and learn his signals. Your dog wants to please you. Before you know it he will start ringing the bell himself to go out.

Crate training is a great help too. Keep the crate next to you and watch him. MOST dogs will not potty where they sleep. He will let you know when he needs to go.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:57 PM

2 posts, read 2,088 times
No I am not yelling at him maybe its because he know what he did wrong

Old 08-23-2016, 07:55 PM

1 posts, read 496 times
Default I think she may be a sibling!!

Hi There!

I was recently looking on google images to try to see what breed my dog Otis most looks to be, and your images here popped up and boy they look like they could be twins! We also rescued ours. I would love to find out if this could be true! Any lab/english pointer owners out here--HELP!-img_0895.jpg

Old 08-23-2016, 11:58 PM

13,839 posts, read 25,215,602 times
Puppies just do this stuff. I have raised several GSP's and if you are not entertaining them, they will amuse themselves...inappropriately. Usually it stops soon after they are 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or