Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 02:55 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,471,972 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, she was not in good shape. Has numerous tumors the size of potatoes. A few were raw and oozing. As you can see, her fur is a matted mess.

She was exhausted so after just a minute of two of my following her, she laid down and stayed put. I didn't have anything to restrain her with and I had my young kids with me so I called our local and amazing dog rescuer Eldad Hagar. He was on the scene within 15 mins.

He took her to his vet and our thinking was that, given her condition, she would be put down. Unfortunately she was microchipped so they had to contact the phone # on record. The guy who answered denied ownership but apparently, the law requires that 14 days pass before the vet can do anything other than administer pain meds.

I just left Eldad a message to find out what happens after 14 days (I assume at that point, they can put her out of her misery). I also want to know if she is best off at the vet's office or if she could possibly spend the remainder of her days in someone's home. Not sure mine is the best option though (2 loud kids, 2 dogs) but maybe Eldad or I could put the word out to a find a big-hearted person to foster.

Anyway, thanks for listening. Just wanted to share with people who would understand my sadness about this. I'm glad she is off the streets but am so sad about her life in general.
Attached Thumbnails
I found an old old lab today-img_0640.jpg  

Last edited by atina33; 01-04-2013 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 02:58 PM

47,914 posts, read 21,907,967 times
That is a heart breaking story. I feel so badly for the sweet old lady. She definately deserves better....and she probably blames herself.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:03 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,113,551 times
That poor dog. Thank you for doing the right thing. Maybe if you can't find her a foster, you and your friend coud visit her daily, walk her.....brush and bath her....So sad.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:03 PM

10,032 posts, read 17,958,122 times
Atina, what a sad, sad, sad story. That picture is heartbreaking.

I think it would be wonderful if she could spend her final days (if that is what these are) with people who would give her lots of love and kindness. I am getting teary writing this. And G*D, the previous owner sounds like a total a**hole.

Bless you for caring for her as much as you can.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:14 PM

567 posts, read 1,009,319 times
I hope the original owner dies a horrible death from cancer. Nothing makes me more angry than to see a mistreated animal.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:22 PM

758 posts, read 849,622 times
This just breaks my heart. I lost my yellow lab Tess 1-1/2 years ago and I did everything humanly possible to keep her alive, but she had mouth cancer and it spread rapidly. That was the most difficult thing my husband and I have ever done and to look at this sweet girl and no one (but you) cares about helping her or at the very least making her last days as comfortable as possible. Who decides the 14 day rule anyway? Can't the "chip owner" (not a dog person in my opinion) relinquish rights to this dog so she can get some help? I am a director of our local no kill shelter and you would be surprised at some of the dogs we have helped. So unfair, but thank you for doing what you can to help her.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:28 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,010,959 times
Thank you for helping her. She looks like such a sweet old dog. I don't understand people like that owner.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:34 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,471,972 times
I'm sure the chip owner could relinquish rights but the fact that he is denying ownership rules that out. Perhaps he's right and it's not his dog, it's an old dog so probably an old microchip. Could be a new phone # that once belonged to someone else.

At any rate, the dog is now in limbo. If I was the vet, I'd put the dog out of her pain and if the owners did show up, I'd say she died in her sleep. She's not far from that anyway. There is nothing that can be done for her surgically.

My hunch is that she didn't live far from where I found her. Her horrible person either just let her out or she got out on her own somehow.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:43 PM

1,297 posts, read 1,812,031 times
This is so sad to see but thank and bless you for helping her. Hopefully she will be a little more comfortable at the vet rather than on the street all alone. May your kindness be returned with no limits.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:37 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,829,026 times
Would it be possible to contact the supposed owner and ask him to sign her over with the promise that he won't be responsible for costs and Animal Control won't be involved? I think it's likely she's a dump and he's denying ownership so he won't get in trouble for her condition. If you have a gruff sounding guy, he might be able to convince him signing a paper that gives up all rights AND responsibility for the dog is the best move.

Even if that isn't possible... at least she's somewhere warm now with people who care about her, and at least the vet CAN give her pain medication and keep her comfortable. That's an absolute blessing, and everyone involved should feel very good about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs