U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 05:02 PM

14,468 posts, read 15,768,827 times

Advertisements

Back again. I have an older dog, he is 12, seems fine but then sometimes spaces out, sometimes his back legs tremble a bit and he seems to go in trance, I got him to eat, and he was fine again

I witnessed a how elderly people have a stroke..... is this like a mini- stroke? I am just wondering if anyone can help, the dog is otherwise okay, I am wondering if its just an age thing. Thanks.

Here is Sunny
Attached Thumbnails
Question about older dog, stroke symptoms?....-dscf5096.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 07:39 PM

16,388 posts, read 30,653,279 times
Is he completely back to normal? No lingering effects? Maybe like a TIA in a eprson? I've had dogs who had strokes but they were big strokes, could not walk, had to be put down.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:01 PM

1,315 posts, read 4,569,616 times
I have an Eskie who's over 16 who has severe degenerative arthritis. He does something similar. In his case, the trembling and zoning out appear to be pain-related. He's fine during the day, but by late evening when his pain meds start to wear off, his legs tremble and he appears distracted. (I changed his medication schedule, so that's how I figured this out.)

Old 10-04-2008, 05:16 AM

5,982 posts, read 10,959,097 times
Dream, how often do you feed the dog? My first thought was hypoglycemia, then maybe mild seizure...but since he improved after eating I'm going with low sugar. You most likely need to have a blood panel run just to be sure. With elderly dogs as with elderly people, their health is all over the board. Please let us know what you find.

If you feed on schedule, you might try feeding smaller amounts more often and see if that levels things out...but I'd be running for the vet ASAP. With the older ones you just have to be extra careful.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:46 AM

16,388 posts, read 30,653,279 times
Ah Sam, I never thought about that! My DD's cat had exactly the same symptoms and he was diabetic with the occasional low glucose episode. Good thinking!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 10-04-2008 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-04-2008, 09:09 AM

5,006 posts, read 4,983,323 times
I think it's an age thing. My old husky gets weak in her back legs at night after walking all day. She likes to be active, but is getting too old for it. She spaces out, too, when outdoors--what am I doing out here?? Sometimes she'll pace in the house and just stare at the corner of the wall. Old age effects them all differently, I suppose. If it's an acute situation, you would know it--symptom exacerbation and doesn't come out of it.

Old 10-04-2008, 01:01 PM

14,468 posts, read 15,768,827 times
thanks-he eats normally, back legs do seem to be an issue,im watching him closely

Old 03-18-2011, 08:03 AM

1 posts, read 20,137 times
my dog is 14 years old. recently he was unable to jump up on the bed. then, he was limping (front legs) and last nite he had loose stools. now his legs (all of them) are shaking and he is unable to get up or down small steps. do you think he had a stoke? he is holding his back legs very close together and his tale in down.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:39 AM

3,528 posts, read 5,738,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmh176 View Post
my dog is 14 years old. recently he was unable to jump up on the bed. then, he was limping (front legs) and last nite he had loose stools. now his legs (all of them) are shaking and he is unable to get up or down small steps. do you think he had a stoke? he is holding his back legs very close together and his tale in down.
Please, please get your dog to a vet immediately. There are just too many problems that would manifest with those symptoms to even speculate on what it is. The one thing I do know is that your dog is suffering. Please don't hesitate. Get your pup to a vet NOW!

Old 03-18-2011, 01:02 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,697,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmh176 View Post
Is he holding his head slightly to one side? There is a condition older dogs get that seem like a stroke but are apparently some kind of inner ear problem.

It can last minutes or days. The dog can't get up, leans to one side, is panicked and trying, and confused. Dog Ear Problems: Canine Peripheral Vestibular Syndrome

My old dog that passed away 3 years ago had it, and it lasted two weeks. And my female GSD who is 9 had it in the fall, out of the blue. It was sudden and shocking, and she lost control of her bowels. I knew what it was due to my previous dog, but I called my vet anyway.

His advice was to watch her. I sat with her because of her panic and rubbed her neck. Within 30 minutes her head was straighter and within an hour you wouldn't know anything had happened. But it was so very scary, and the worst thing is knowing that it is a sign of age and I'm just not ready to lose another dog. I have barely recovered from the last one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs